Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:49 AM   #1
sucramdi
macrumors member

PowerBook G4 won't connect to school WiFi

Just a warning I know very little about networking stuff
I have a PowerBook G4, DDR2 high resolution model, that connects to wifi perfectly at home on a WPA2 encrypted network with no problems. Whenever I take the PowerBook to school it won't connect to any of the networks. When I turn on my powerbook it brings up a window asking which network I would like to connect to. When I select the one I want the little wheel spins for a bit then says connection time out. These networks are open and have no password.

If I try from the airport preference pane, by clicking the network from the drop down menu, it just goes back to saying select a network after a few seconds. The setup assistant was no help and the diagnostics asked me for a password for the network even though there isn't one.

Are there any settings I can mess around with to get it to work? My iPad and iPhone have no problem connecting to the network.
sucramdi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:27 PM   #2
ed724
macrumors regular

Get as close to the transmitting source as you can and try again. Also check and see what sort of wireless routers they're using and see if there are any particular issues with that model and your mac OS/model. Other than that, only other thing I can think of is try replacing the wifi card in your machine.
ed724 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:05 PM   #3
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucramdi View Post
Just a warning I know very little about networking stuff
I have a PowerBook G4, DDR2 high resolution model, that connects to wifi perfectly at home on a WPA2 encrypted network with no problems. Whenever I take the PowerBook to school it won't connect to any of the networks. When I turn on my powerbook it brings up a window asking which network I would like to connect to. When I select the one I want the little wheel spins for a bit then says connection time out. These networks are open and have no password.

If I try from the airport preference pane, by clicking the network from the drop down menu, it just goes back to saying select a network after a few seconds. The setup assistant was no help and the diagnostics asked me for a password for the network even though there isn't one.

Are there any settings I can mess around with to get it to work? My iPad and iPhone have no problem connecting to the network.
Try going to airport drop down > Join Other Network > type the SSID exactly, with no password/encryption.

That might just do it for ya.
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4
sucramdi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
Try going to airport drop down > Join Other Network > type the SSID exactly, with no password/encryption.

That might just do it for ya.
I thought so too, but it does the same thing as selecting it straight from the drop down menu :/
sucramdi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:41 AM   #5
mike457
macrumors 6502

It's worth visiting the IT people and asking them. They may well have done some weird trick. The people at my School were prone to that until we officially switched to Macs.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Wildy
macrumors 6502

Check to make sure you don't have any authentication going on. Education networks often make use of 802.1X authentication - a friend of mine couldn't get onto the network, turns out it was because it was trying to use the 802.1X details for her university back home and wouldn't let her on.
Wildy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs