Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:00 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Employees Suggest Apple Approval of Google Maps App 'Unlikely'

In the wake of Apple's move to replace the Google-powered Maps app with its own app in iOS 6, Google has been reported by numerous sources to be working on a standalone version of its service to be submitted to the App Store.

But while Apple has been willing to advertise a number of alternative mapping solutions while it works to improve its own Maps app, The Guardian reports that sources within Google believe it is "unlikely" Apple will approve Google's app for inclusion in the App Store.
Quote:
Sources at Google familiar with its mapping plans say they are "not optimistic" that Apple will ever approve a dedicated Google Maps iOS app. Though the app is reportedly in development and should be ready to ship by the end of the year, the sources say their plans are only proceeding in "the unlikely event" that Apple will choose to approve the app.
According to sources within Google, who appear to be split as to whether the departure of iOS chief Scott Forstall will improve Google's chances, there is little evidence that Apple is interested in embracing Google-based mapping solutions.
Quote:
Specifically, they point to the lack of any mapping app in the "Find maps for your iPhone" section of the App Store - accessible only via iPhones or iPads - that use the Google Maps APIs to call wirelessly for location, routing or point-of-interest (POI) data. [...]

Apps such as the free Maps+ app, which uses Google Places APIs and Google Maps tiles to bring Google Maps back to the iPhone, and the £3 app Quick Route, which mashes Google's directions and locations database with Apple's Maps tiles, are noticeably absent from it, even though a Google source says they are the two apps that would give back many of the capabilities lost with the advent of Apple's Maps in iOS 6.
The Google sources reportedly believe that these omissions are deliberate in order to minimize the visibility of Google-based mapping apps, although Apple CEO Tim Cook did mention the web-based version of Google Maps as an alternative in his open letter addressing the Maps issue.

Article Link: Google Employees Suggest Apple Approval of Google Maps App 'Unlikely'
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:02 PM   #2
daneoni
macrumors G4

Freaking pessimists
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:03 PM   #3
penajmz
macrumors 65816

If that's the case then Apple Maps better step up.

Last edited by penajmz; Nov 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
penajmz is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Tech198
macrumors 601

Bet that will cheeze people off.

Yay.. First post

Oh dam.. Too late.. (Need to type faster)
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:03 PM   #5
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

of course they won't let it in, its much better than their own version.
nick_elt is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

Poor Google.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:04 PM   #7
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Apple Maps have served me well. I'm not fussed about a Google map app.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:04 PM   #8
TC03
macrumors 6502a

I don't think Apple will deny approval. Why would Apple do so? They have approved Google search, which competes with Siri, Gmail, Chrome, etc. Apple has never denied approval of Google apps mimicking features Apple already offers. Why do so now?
TC03 is offline   32 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:05 PM   #9
ChazUK
macrumors 603

I'll stick to navigation on my Nexus then (if it doesn't happen). Would have been nice to have it on both though.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Fishticks
macrumors regular

Shame.
Shame.
SHAME.
Fishticks is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:05 PM   #11
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
of course they won't let it in, its much better than their own version.
So are many of the others they recommend on the App Store. That has nothing to do with it.

Personally, I think it'll get approved and this article is just very pessimistic. I think it'll take time though... and that Apple is taking their time on purpose. That way, most people will adjust to Apple Maps and won't care so much when it actually does get approved.
TimUSCA is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:06 PM   #12
theBB
macrumors 68020

Wait, Google is pointing to apps that actually got approved and being sold in the store, as evidence that Apple would not approve Maps apps with Google tech behind it??? It sounds more like Google doesn't want to or is unable to release its own maps app, and just trying to put some PR spin on it.
theBB is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:06 PM   #13
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Freaking pessimists
Did Google Voice ever leave "in approbation" limbo ?

Was there for months, and we never really heard about it again (I'm still waiting for the official Canadian release of the service though, thanks CRTC !).
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:06 PM   #14
DarkWinter
macrumors member

I don't believe Apple would pull a move like that, considering how much stick they would get for it in the media. Certainly not with the Maps fiasco and not unless Maps is in a significantly fitter state than it was at launch.
DarkWinter is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:07 PM   #15
gibbo132
macrumors regular

If Apple doesn't approve this then they are seriously treading on loose ground. I feel it would be detrimental in the consumers eyes if they don't approve this.
I truly hope they do.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:08 PM   #16
wallysb01
macrumors 6502a

If this is true and Apple maps hasn't improved by the time I buy my next phone, I'll be purchasing something that allows google maps. Outside of calls, texts and email, the map is by far my most used app, and Apple maps is very nearly completely useless.
wallysb01 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:08 PM   #17
dashiel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Did Google Voice ever leave "in approbation" limbo ?

Was there for months, and we never really heard about it again (I'm still waiting for the official Canadian release of the service though, thanks CRTC !).
What are you on about? I use it daily.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goog...318698524?mt=8
dashiel is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:09 PM   #18
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
Wait, Google is pointing to apps that actually got approved and being sold in the store, as evidence that Apple would not approve Maps apps with Google tech behind it??? It sounds more like Google doesn't want to or is unable to release its own maps app, and just trying to put some PR spin on it.
Actually, Maps+ was on the App Store back in the days before iOS 6 and was a MapKit application. It was automatically switched to Apple Maps with iOS 6 and only after the developper switched from Map Kit to Google Map tiles did Google Maps come back to it.

So basically, it was approved before being a "Google Maps" app.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:09 PM   #19
avanpelt
macrumors 65816

If Apple doesn't approve it, it will put even more egg on their face after it's already thoroughly covered. I don't see why Apple wouldn't approve it, though. They're promoting apps that do the same thing Google Maps will do.

The only way I could see Apple not approving a Google Maps app is if Google puts a snarky comment down by the copyright that says, "The world has decided that Google Maps is not a copy of Apple Maps because Google Maps doesn't suck."
avanpelt is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:09 PM   #20
Formul
macrumors member

Lets whine before we even have a reason to do so. All of the google apps were approved even the Voice search, wtf?
Formul is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:10 PM   #21
evangw
macrumors regular

I hope they release it as a Cydia app. That would be a nice f* you to Apple, and probably also significantly increase the number of jailbreakers.
evangw is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:10 PM   #22
dagamer34
macrumors 65816

After the howls that came from Google Voice to the point where members of Congress were sending letters to Apple, I don't think they can really block Google Maps without good reason.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:10 PM   #23
impulse462
macrumors 65816

That's what we need...less choice.

I can understand Apple wanting to remove Google from the iPhone in favor of their own mapping solution, but the way they are going about it is how a 5 year old child would.

Personally, I have yet to have any problems with Apple Maps, but since so many people are having issues, Apple should have prepared (which Tim Cook is famous for doing) and had Maps ready to go at launch. Only then would this child-like behavior "seem" warranted, but right now it's just pathetic.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:11 PM   #24
Superken7
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenbf View Post
Poor Google.
What do you mean, poor Google? Poor US! the USERS! Who would be stuck with a single solution, Apple Maps, which is missing _a lot_ of data, lacks street view, and doesn't have an equivalent desktop solution to sync data to.

Having said that, I bet Apple approves the app, just like they did approve chrome, and just like they approved other map apps which are present in the App Store. I don't understand why they point to existing map apps to say that it is unlikely theirs will be approved!
Superken7 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:11 PM   #25
chukronos
macrumors regular

Apple will not deny approval. Unless, google is putting something in the app that they know apple will not allow.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion