Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the wake of Apple's move to replace the Google-powered Maps app with its own app in iOS 6, Google has been reported by numerous sources to be working on a standalone version of its service to be submitted to the App Store.

find_maps_for_iphone.jpg
But while Apple has been willing to advertise a number of alternative mapping solutions while it works to improve its own Maps app, The Guardian reports that sources within Google believe it is "unlikely" Apple will approve Google's app for inclusion in the App Store.
Sources at Google familiar with its mapping plans say they are "not optimistic" that Apple will ever approve a dedicated Google Maps iOS app. Though the app is reportedly in development and should be ready to ship by the end of the year, the sources say their plans are only proceeding in "the unlikely event" that Apple will choose to approve the app.
According to sources within Google, who appear to be split as to whether the departure of iOS chief Scott Forstall will improve Google's chances, there is little evidence that Apple is interested in embracing Google-based mapping solutions.
Specifically, they point to the lack of any mapping app in the "Find maps for your iPhone" section of the App Store - accessible only via iPhones or iPads - that use the Google Maps APIs to call wirelessly for location, routing or point-of-interest (POI) data. [...]

Apps such as the free Maps+ app, which uses Google Places APIs and Google Maps tiles to bring Google Maps back to the iPhone, and the £3 app Quick Route, which mashes Google's directions and locations database with Apple's Maps tiles, are noticeably absent from it, even though a Google source says they are the two apps that would give back many of the capabilities lost with the advent of Apple's Maps in iOS 6.
The Google sources reportedly believe that these omissions are deliberate in order to minimize the visibility of Google-based mapping apps, although Apple CEO Tim Cook did mention the web-based version of Google Maps as an alternative in his open letter addressing the Maps issue.

Article Link: Google Employees Suggest Apple Approval of Google Maps App 'Unlikely'

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Bet that will cheeze people off.

Yay.. First post :)

Oh dam.. Too late.. (Need to type faster)

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
of course they won't let it in, its much better than their own version.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I don't think Apple will deny approval. Why would Apple do so? They have approved Google search, which competes with Siri, Gmail, Chrome, etc. Apple has never denied approval of Google apps mimicking features Apple already offers. Why do so now?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'll stick to navigation on my Nexus then (if it doesn't happen). Would have been nice to have it on both though.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
of course they won't let it in, its much better than their own version.

So are many of the others they recommend on the App Store. That has nothing to do with it.

Personally, I think it'll get approved and this article is just very pessimistic. I think it'll take time though... and that Apple is taking their time on purpose. That way, most people will adjust to Apple Maps and won't care so much when it actually does get approved.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Wait, Google is pointing to apps that actually got approved and being sold in the store, as evidence that Apple would not approve Maps apps with Google tech behind it??? It sounds more like Google doesn't want to or is unable to release its own maps app, and just trying to put some PR spin on it.

DarkWinter

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012

I don't believe Apple would pull a move like that, considering how much stick they would get for it in the media. Certainly not with the Maps fiasco and not unless Maps is in a significantly fitter state than it was at launch.

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2010
If Apple doesn't approve this then they are seriously treading on loose ground. I feel it would be detrimental in the consumers eyes if they don't approve this.
I truly hope they do.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
If this is true and Apple maps hasn't improved by the time I buy my next phone, I'll be purchasing something that allows google maps. Outside of calls, texts and email, the map is by far my most used app, and Apple maps is very nearly completely useless.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Wait, Google is pointing to apps that actually got approved and being sold in the store, as evidence that Apple would not approve Maps apps with Google tech behind it??? It sounds more like Google doesn't want to or is unable to release its own maps app, and just trying to put some PR spin on it.

Actually, Maps+ was on the App Store back in the days before iOS 6 and was a MapKit application. It was automatically switched to Apple Maps with iOS 6 and only after the developper switched from Map Kit to Google Map tiles did Google Maps come back to it.

So basically, it was approved before being a "Google Maps" app.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If Apple doesn't approve it, it will put even more egg on their face after it's already thoroughly covered. I don't see why Apple wouldn't approve it, though. They're promoting apps that do the same thing Google Maps will do.

The only way I could see Apple not approving a Google Maps app is if Google puts a snarky comment down by the copyright that says, "The world has decided that Google Maps is not a copy of Apple Maps because Google Maps doesn't suck."

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
I hope they release it as a Cydia app. That would be a nice f* you to Apple, and probably also significantly increase the number of jailbreakers.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
After the howls that came from Google Voice to the point where members of Congress were sending letters to Apple, I don't think they can really block Google Maps without good reason.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
That's what we need...less choice.

I can understand Apple wanting to remove Google from the iPhone in favor of their own mapping solution, but the way they are going about it is how a 5 year old child would.

Personally, I have yet to have any problems with Apple Maps, but since so many people are having issues, Apple should have prepared (which Tim Cook is famous for doing) and had Maps ready to go at launch. Only then would this child-like behavior "seem" warranted, but right now it's just pathetic.

Superken7

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
Poor Google. :rolleyes:

What do you mean, poor Google? Poor US! the USERS! Who would be stuck with a single solution, Apple Maps, which is missing _a lot_ of data, lacks street view, and doesn't have an equivalent desktop solution to sync data to.

Having said that, I bet Apple approves the app, just like they did approve chrome, and just like they approved other map apps which are present in the App Store. I don't understand why they point to existing map apps to say that it is unlikely theirs will be approved!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.