Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCloud Mail or Gmail?

• Total voters

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
I'm just wondering what each of you uses. I've recently switched to Gmail due to the efficiency of labels. However, I really don't like how it integrates to iOS and might be switching back soon.

What do you guys use? Why?

Pietro

Last edited:

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Gmail for me

Gives me push emails and syncs calendar and contacts on all my devices/computers

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've found Gmail to be much more reliable, quick and easy to use with far more options than all of Apple's mail versions.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Gmail for me

Gives me push emails and syncs calendar and contacts on all my devices/computers

Gmail for me as too. Its just so much space. I haven't deleted an email in years and can always reference past emails since I don't delete them. I don't really care about the calender though...

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
my own domain hosted via gmail apps...best of both worlds in terms of gmail and also getting the name you like

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
iCloud

Funny this post should appear, as I was just about to post about this. Today I just started the switch from gmail to iCloud. The kicker for me is that the email aliases can't be used for separate devices! I wanted to set up an alias for my wife so she could use it on her iPad, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Alas, I guess gmail will have to do - at least for her - for a while longer. Not really a point in setting up a separate Apple ID just for her. Then again, maybe I'll do just that.

my own domain hosted via gmail apps...best of both worlds in terms of gmail and also getting the name you like

Link?

Last edited:

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Gmail for me. It is far more reliable, gives me push email, practically unlimited space for emails, impeccable syncing of mail, contacts, calendars, tasks and labels across all my devices and the labels system is fantastic. The spam filtering is also second to none.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Funny this post should appear, as I was just about to post about this. Today I just started the switch from gmail to iCloud. The kicker for me is that the email aliases can't be used for separate devices! I wanted to set up an alias for my wife so she could use it on her iPad, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Alas, I guess gmail will have to do - at least for her - for a while longer. Not really a point in setting up a separate Apple ID just for her. Then again, maybe I'll do just that.

Link?

google.com/a

PerformaGuy

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
The gmail interface loads far faster than iCloud. Being an iTools and then MobileMe user, I thought they must have overhauled the interface when moving to iCloud.

Searching is also a pain on iCloud, you get limited search options, missing the all important search body feature for example.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I would love to use gmail.. But my first.last is taken, which I have with my @me address.
Last.first, first middle initial last... taken also.

I finally found last.middle-initial.first but that to me is an odd email address....

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I would love to use gmail.. But my first.last is taken, which I have with my @me address.
Last.first, first middle initial last... taken also.

I finally found last.middle-initial.first but that to me is an odd email address....

Have you thought about using Google Apps and setting up your own domain. Believe it is only $8/year now.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I don't care for gmail, or Google in general. The gmail web interface is a mess. It makes my skin crawl just having to check it occasionally. The only people I still give my gmail address to are people I don't know/trust yet. In fact the only reason why I keep my account is because of YouTube (the only Google service I actually like).

I don't recall having too many problems with my iCloud/MM e-mail. Any I may have had are well worth the tradeoff.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I see quite a few posts saying people prefer iCloud

I haven't used iCloud mail recently, but what is it that iCloud provides that Gmail doesn't, not many replies from people liking iCloud more

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Until another service matches Google's reliability and ease, I'll stick with GMail.

Though, I am very much liking Microsoft's Outlook service. Very slick indeed!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I'm just wondering what each of you uses. I've recently switched to Gmail due to the efficiency of labels. However, I really don't like how it integrates to iOS and might be switching back soon.

What do you guys use? Why?

Pietro

OP: can you please add "both" and "others" to the poll ?

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
My own domain with hosted IMAP ... Very flexible.
.me, icloud, .live, .outlook, .gmail and others are also used, but not often.

This is the most flexible option. Keeping my email in my own domain gives me the flexibility to move platforms without the hassle of migrating them.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
This is the most flexible option. Keeping my email in my own domain gives me the flexibility to move platforms without the hassle of migrating them.

Indeed and it also means that nobody else can change your email address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.