Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Original poster

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Yes, I'd like to learn OpenGL programming. I can't really get a book, and am in no state to steal one. So, I'd like some good online resources, get now ledge of the basics, and build up from there. Please?

Just be sure that when you learn OpenGL your resources teach OpenGL 3 or later. OpenGL is a very old API and much of it is considered deprecated. It's a waste of time to learn about these old features. You want to be sure you're learning a shader based approach, not the fixed functionality approach.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Just be sure that when you learn OpenGL your resources teach OpenGL 3 or later. OpenGL is a very old API and much of it is considered deprecated. It's a waste of time to learn about these old features. You want to be sure you're learning a shader based approach, not the fixed functionality approach.

Ok, so I've found what seems to be a good resource. Although the thingy is for OpenGL 3.3, which, annoyingly, macs don't support. Oh well, I also like Ubuntu

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Ok, so I've found what seems to be a good resource. Although the thingy is for OpenGL 3.3, which, annoyingly, macs don't support. Oh well, I also like Ubuntu

I don't know about 3.3, but Mac OS X 10.7+ supports OpenGL 3.2. I doubt the additions to 3.3 will matter much, and if they do they are likely covered in Mac OS X through extensions.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
34524002.jpg

I find that learning OGRE 3D is more worthwhile... you didn't explain what you were looking to accomplish, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.