Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Mjmar
macrumors 65816

Frustrated by lack of YouTube app

One of the main things that I have used on my iPad since day one is the YouTube app. So, when I first heard that apple was removing it, I was upset, but at the same time okay with it because I heard that Google was going to release their own app for it. They eventually did for the iPhone, which was great, but its been over a month and a half and still no app for iPad, and the iPhone app is still not updated for iPhone 5. What I am wondering is if user experience is Apple's top priority why wouldn't they set aside their differences with Google and work with them to make sure that there was a good way to access YouTube before launching iOS 6? The best way to do it now is through the website, which is an overall bad experience. Remember the days when iOS updates added more functionality instead of taking functionality away? But I guess my main question is when will there be a good way to access youtube from the iPad? Or are there any good solutions that I am missing?
Mjmar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Alicia4065
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Alicia4065 Send a message via Yahoo to Alicia4065
Someone here mention a app called McTube there is a free and paid version and it works well plus allow you to download within app.
Alicia4065 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

Try Jasmine. It's free, designed well, and is an iPad app. It also has all the same functionality as the YouTube app.
Frankied22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:00 PM   #4
jfyrfytr25
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmar View Post
One of the main things that I have used on my iPad since day one is the YouTube app. So, when I first heard that apple was removing it, I was upset, but at the same time okay with it because I heard that Google was going to release their own app for it. They eventually did for the iPhone, which was great, but its been over a month and a half and still no app for iPad, and the iPhone app is still not updated for iPhone 5. What I am wondering is if user experience is Apple's top priority why wouldn't they set aside their differences with Google and work with them to make sure that there was a good way to access YouTube before launching iOS 6? The best way to do it now is through the website, which is an overall bad experience. Remember the days when iOS updates added more functionality instead of taking functionality away? But I guess my main question is when will there be a good way to access youtube from the iPad? Or are there any good solutions that I am missing?
I am right there with you. I have been more than frustrated witht the lack of app for ipad and aggrevated that they have not updated the iphone to the 4" screen.

for the last month everytime I see an update badge I think "surely this is the update" only to be dissapointed.

I have found an app called YouPlayer that is a bit better than the browser but I find myself still wanting the old app back.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:01 PM   #5
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular

McTube is a Godsend on my iPad 4. It supports 1080p HD video! I watched several 1080 videos where I could clearly see pores on people's faces. The clarity is stunning. McTube should be the default iPad app because its excellent
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:12 PM   #6
PeterKG
macrumors regular

It is very easy to add the YouTube link to your home screen on an iPad. Go to youtube.com. in Safari look for the icon box with arrow. Click on it and you will see the option to "Add to Home Screen".
PeterKG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:21 PM   #7
ithinkimalion
macrumors member

I use Jasmine. I love it.
ithinkimalion is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankied22 View Post
Try Jasmine. It's free, designed well, and is an iPad app. It also has all the same functionality as the YouTube app.
Another one for Jasmine, it's a great looking app!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:24 PM   #9
SR71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankied22 View Post
This. Jasmine is by far the best YouTube app, and it also supports HD 1080p video. Not to mention, it's free.
SR71 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Wokis
macrumors regular

Another vote for Jasmine
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:28 PM   #11
steve dave
macrumors 6502a

Jasmine is alright. It is still missing a lot of functionality (like the ability to sort search results) but unfortunately there aren't many other options. I have found that the YouTube website is usually pretty good except I can't fin any way to actually play videos full screen.
steve dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:40 PM   #12
Applepi
macrumors 6502a

Jasmine is the only one I've found so far that doesn't irritate me so it gets my vote.
Applepi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:41 PM   #13
M87
macrumors 65816

Jasmine is better than the old youtube app.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:47 PM   #14
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816

I like Jasmine and McTube but they lack the feature of the old app to see all your subscription's *newest* videos.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:49 PM   #15
itismadhan
macrumors member

I don't want to trust a 3rd party app with my Google creds! dang!
itismadhan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:50 PM   #16
steve dave
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by itismadhan View Post
I don't want to trust a 3rd party app with my Google creds! dang!
Yeah that's a really bad idea. I don't sign in when I use jasmine.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:58 PM   #17
nfl46
macrumors 601

I use Jasmine as well, on my iPhone and iPad.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:27 PM   #18
PorterRocks
macrumors 6502

Another vote for Jasmine. It works pretty well but I'll switch to Google's YouTube app the second it's available for iPad and updated for iPhone 5.
PorterRocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:33 PM   #19
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Do youtube links open into these apps? That is the main thing I miss, hitting a link from Twitter and going to the mobile site where you can't fullscreen a video all the way.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:34 PM   #20
steve dave
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclardy View Post
Do youtube links open into these apps? That is the main thing I miss, hitting a link from Twitter and going to the mobile site where you can't fullscreen a video all the way.
No they go to the mobile site
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:36 PM   #21
LanEvo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyNJ66 View Post
McTube is a Godsend on my iPad 4. It supports 1080p HD video! I watched several 1080 videos where I could clearly see pores on people's faces. The clarity is stunning. McTube should be the default iPad app because its excellent
This... much better than Jasmine imo, I have both, the layout is just like the old one/original Youtube app, and much easier to navigate.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad