Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Theyre awesome!

Its hands down the best machine I ever used. Great specs, great build quality, great screen. Haters gonna hate and say you can get something with better specs for cheaper, but you'll be getting windows instead of osx which is probably the best part about this machine.

Queen6

macrumors G4
If you can afford, don't worry about it, if you want to be less frivolous go for the base 15" Retina you wont see any real difference in day to day performance , you will have to offload large media to external and or network storage. I have a 15" Retina and a Late 2011 2.4 15" MBP, hands down the Retina is the winner...

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Are People who Buy Apple Products Children?

I am new to Mac, having recently purchased a rMBP. I had a Windows machine and wanted to make a change. Realizing that Macs are expensive, I wanted to ensure that my purchase decision was a sound one. So, I did my research, primarily evaluating the experience of others from posts on this forum. I have found that some (not all) Mac users are impatient and exhibit child like behavior (I want what I want now) and then tossing aside the purchase because the thrill is gone.

Anyone spending $3K on a product should know in advance of the purchase that the purchase is right for them. The purchaser should do the research, considered his needs, the price, and other available options. That is the way adults make decisions.

Its one thing to buy a product and not be satisfied with it because of a defect or a performance concern, but it is another matter to buy and then decide I don't think I like the product because I can get by with an IPAD. That's a significant drop-off in performance and the purchase decision should have been influenced by this fact.

I would not surprise me that Apple would bring back the restocking fee because of their current liberal return policy generates so many returns.

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Man... Some of you are looking at this the wrong way.

He, and the rest of us "child-like mac users", are not spending our very last money on this and getting cold sweats because it is an impulse buy. I bet that every macbook-buyer has spent countless nights googling the web for all kinds of info about it. Just like adults, wouldn't you know.

Still, 3000 bucks are double the price of a GOOD PC-laptop. So we just want some reassurance that it is money well spent. Everyone who's not a millionaire will be getting a bit of cold sweats after spending that kind of money, at least that's what I believe.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

He, and the rest of us "child-like mac users", are not spending our very last money on this and getting cold sweats because it is an impulse buy. I bet that every macbook-buyer has spent countless nights googling the web for all kinds of info about it. Just like adults, wouldn't you know.

Still, 3000 bucks are double the price of a GOOD PC-laptop. So we just want some reassurance that it is money well spent. Everyone who's not a millionaire will be getting a bit of cold sweats after spending that kind of money, at least that's what I believe.

The only concern I had was that it would be powerful enough to replace my $4,000 Mac Pro...and it is...so I am very happy!

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Curious what options you paid for. $3k may be overkill for your needs when a base rMBP from an online authorized reseller may be 2/3 that price with no tax.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Some people believe that ghosts can impregnate women and walk on water, doesn't make it true.

boombashi

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2005
You gotta pay to play I guess. I'm waiting for my base model rMBP to be delivered. I too wanted the 3k nicely configured version, but I decided I only "needed" the base model. I was on the fence since I could get a very capable and nicely equiped MacBook Air for half of that...I decided to compromise.

I wouldn't be sorry if I bought the 3k version either. Some people like to save all their money. While I do save, I find saving to be boring...you are better off using that awesome piece of kit to maximize your earning potential to make more money :p

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
In this day and age, a $3000 computer is INSANE!

Especially when you can buy a $399 laptop at BBY, Newegg, or Amazon that does what MOST people do with them:

Internet
Email
Social Networking
Media (Music and movies)

I know that is an unfair statement because Apple doesn't make CHEAP computers. When you price out a GOOD PC (Samsung Series 9, Asus), it is about the same price of the MBP's anyways

I just upgraded my 3 year old i7 1.6 Sony VIAO with Windows 8, and all I can say is I LOVE IT. Best seen to date. Many new features, and I had been running the public release Beta for the last 2 months.

I also just purchased the new cMBP 2 weeks ago. And I love it. Last Mac was back in 1990 with the Mac IIc.

Sure I like the retina screen, but the cost of admission for what I wanted (16G Ram and 512 SSD) was way to much, and money for me was not an issue.

The cMBP for $1799 (still a little high compared to PC's), but I told my self it was worth the extra premium, and the real reason I bought the Mac was to have full integration with my iphone and iPad.

I have already ordered 16G ram from OWC for $100 and plan on an SSD during the holiday season, however, I am quite happy with the performance of the 5400PM 500G drive that came standard with the cMBP.

Probably will pick up a 256G Samsung SSD for the SOny and just see how it is, faster booting to me is no big deal, I can wait the extra 15 sec. But I, like most love new technology.

ANd if it is as GOOD as most say, I'll hunt for a Samsung 840 Pro 512, when the prices drop a bit ($400-$500).

Anyways, go luck with your decision.

Oh, and the lack of upgradability of the rMBP was what I did not like. To be STUCK with what I buy today for the next 4-5 years.

My Sony, 3.5 years old i7 with Bluray and 1080P; Upgraded the ram and will add SSD this winter. Things I like to do anyway.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
Check out the $999 Lenovo Yoga 13" laptop/tablet at Best Buy to get a good baseline reference for the $3K you spent on the rMBP. I played with it and I was immediately sold. My iPad3 and 2012 cMBP will soon be going into early retirement.

Last edited:

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Another Example of Children at Play

Check out the $999 Lenovo Yoga 13" laptop/tablet at Best Buy to get a good baseline reference for the $3K you spent on the rMBP. I played with it and I was immediately sold. My iPad3 and 2012 cMBP will soon be going into early retirement.

So, you just made these purchases within the last few months and already you are throwing them away. Seems to me with some research, planning and thought you could have avoided this expense. But, what the heck, children are in it for the thrill of the moment.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007

This is exactly what I mean! I of course did my research. I can afford it and I am happy with it and I will use it to its ability eventually but after having a 2007 MacBook up until now and using iPads for my workplace the way I use computers has changed and it takes a while to get back into the swing is all.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
So, you just made these purchases within the last few months and already you are throwing them away. Seems to me with some research, planning and thought you could have avoided this expense. But, what the heck, children are in it for the thrill of the moment.

Sorry to disappoint you; I have been buying/building PCs since 1981 (actually I had a DEC PDP 11 mini computer for use writing diagnostics in the 70s). After avoiding Apple products for 30 years (I purchased a TRS80-Mod III rather than a Apple II back in 1981), I decided to see what was so special about the Apple experience.

I didn't see enough value add for the premium I paid for my two Apple products. Plus Apple's new products are not all that innovative. Heck the Nexus 7 I bought a couple months ago has pretty much replaced the iPad. And it doesn't appear that Apple has an answer to Win 8's consolidated laptop/tablet OS.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
and my response to that thread:

"I know that and saw your review on the Best Buy site. I plan on getting an 128GB SD card."

The Yoga also has a 256GB SSD version; it's just not yet available at BB.

Eeesh a sd card on a pc. Whatever next :p

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Is it just me or has this thread evolved into a free for all against mac? Seems like no one is happy with their macbook all of a sudden, and everyone thinks a rMBP is a lousy buy. And this is bleeping MacRumors!

Last edited:

coolstuff92

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
I bought a 15" rMBP last week and intend on returning it. Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant laptop, but after using it for a few days I realised how my usage, even with some amounts of gaming, doesn't justify the amount I paid for it. Not only this, I came from a 13" Macbook and found the change a bit weird. I really hated the idea of spending so much money on a laptop which I acknowledge is amazing, but in the end isn't going to be any better than an Air is. Sure the Retina display is beautiful, but the only time I actually take advantage of it is reading, and that's generally at my desk, in which case it's probably better for get a good monitor to accompany the Air. If you feel like you have to do things you don't normally do on a computer to justify the purchase then return it. It just took me to buy the computer and use it for myself to actually see that this isn't the one for me (although with Apple's current line up, I don't think there is a perfect one).

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I would not surprise me that Apple would bring back the restocking fee because of their current liberal return policy generates so many returns.
Won't happen. That cost is already built into every iDevice you buy. You and I are funding the impulse buyers as well as the, "My new macbook has a fly speck on the bottom and should be exchanged!"

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Oh, and the lack of upgradability of the rMBP was what I did not like. To be STUCK with what I buy today for the next 4-5 years.

The only thing you can futz with on a laptop anyway is memory and storage. So put all your cash towards those options and you should be good. A 500GB SSD in 2.5" form is still super expensive. 768GB even almost impossible in single form unless you 512GB one bay and 256 or 512GB the other in the cMBP then RAID or symlink them or Fusion hack. Can't get more than 16GB right now for classic and support on the logic board goes to 32GB when and IF 16GB SO-DIMM's make it to market. It isn't the end of the world for this gen rMBP. It does suck moving forward as everyone is buying them in droves telling Apple that future "not upgradable" is A-OK with us consumers. But my faith in a forward thinking humanity has been blow to hell years ago.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I am new to Mac, having recently purchased a rMBP. I had a Windows machine and wanted to make a change. Realizing that Macs are expensive, I wanted to ensure that my purchase decision was a sound one. So, I did my research, primarily evaluating the experience of others from posts on this forum. I have found that some (not all) Mac users are impatient and exhibit child like behavior (I want what I want now) and then tossing aside the purchase because the thrill is gone.

Anyone spending $3K on a product should know in advance of the purchase that the purchase is right for them. The purchaser should do the research, considered his needs, the price, and other available options. That is the way adults make decisions.

Its one thing to buy a product and not be satisfied with it because of a defect or a performance concern, but it is another matter to buy and then decide I don't think I like the product because I can get by with an IPAD. That's a significant drop-off in performance and the purchase decision should have been influenced by this fact.

Thais too unrealistic. It's perfectly natural to have doubts and hesitations around large commitments, and a $3000 computer is not an insignificant commitment.

"Worth it" is a question of what you need and would like against what you can afford.

I'm using a MacBook from 2008. It's done wonderfully well, and I'm looking for a machine that will last at least that long. I think the RMBP is a total beast of a machine that will easily do that kind of time. It's worth it for me, but then again I'm paying about €2100 for a 2.6/16/256 model (edu discount with free applecare) so I think it's good value.

I should note though that I was a few hundred short of the pro when I got my MacBook, and have been gutted about it ever since. Lack of a real GPU has really shortened the product life (I feel it could still go on if the GPU was better). Oh, and that backlit keyboard: I've wanted one of those since I first saw them.

I only went with 256GB because I figured my current 250GB disk isn't really limiting me day-to-day. I use an external drive hooked up to a time capsule for movies. I'm also thinking about freeing up even more by deleting my 80GB music folder and streaming everything from iTunes Match.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.