Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I already have a 4th gen iPad ATT on order but stopped by the Apple Store to see what a mini looked and felt like. The lightness, thinness, and size sold me and I bought a 64GB white on the spot. Only think for perfection would have been a retina display. I spent the whole night in bed playing with it, something that's a tad more difficult with the full size iPad. Certain games like racers and flight sims just seem better to play on a smaller device too.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I agree the mini size and capable device will be the future as will a full size pad and a phone. Sure the specifications and features will change but the device and its size will be the way to go.
I have an iPhone and it is great for many things but not really for reading or for really watching movies. The full size pad is great for being at home or someplace where you'll be able to sit and use it for a while. The mini can be easily carried and used on the go. With the ability in iCloud to sync things up it will be easy and become easier to keep things in sync.
They each have their own strong points and each have their best usage.
Hey the original iPhone doesn't have capabilty close to the 5 - the orignal iPad isn't the same as the 4 and the next generations of mini's will be better and better but it is part of the future.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
They each have their own strong points and each have their best usage.
Hey the original iPhone doesn't have capabilty close to the 5 - the orignal iPad isn't the same as the 4 and the next generations of mini's will be better and better but it is part of the future.

This sentiment was part of my motivation for asking that comments bashing the screen resolution be left for other threads. I was hoping at least SOME of us could look past that and focus on the mini and its form factor. Thankfully, a few have been able to do so.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
1st up, love my iPad. Always have loved it.
But the second I held and saw a Nexus 7, I knew Apple needed an iPad mini.
And the price is the main problem for the UK, walked into HMV yesterday, almost bought a 32GB Nexus 7 with a free £25 voucher for £199.
The iPad mini is £269.
Apple will earn my money when that price tag is worth it. Retina display, slightly more Ram, faster processor etc.

I think by the 2nd or 3rd Gen, the Mini will outsell the 9.7" iPad. Its definitely the future for most consumers.
I would still have a 9.7" for home use, but for travelling and all other places, the 7.9 is perfect size.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
When the next one is out with Retina+A6+1gb people are gonna freak.

If it gets thicker, heavier, and slower like the iPad3 did, then I will freak out in a bad way.

If it gets retina without the dozen compromises that the iPad3 suffered from, then I will freak out in a good way and throw wads of cash at Apple.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
The mini is not Apple's future. The iPad size is going to always sell in larger numbers than the mini.

You need to wait a few more days and come down from your euphoric high of your mini purchase. It only took me 24 hours and mine is back in the box, ready to go back to apple. The need for a smaller units is not so strong for me that imam willing to sacrifice screen quality and keyboard real estate. It is not even close.

It might be YOUR future but not mine!

If you don't want one that's fine. But the mini form factor is going to bury the standard iPad in numbers. 3 million wifi only iPads this weekend. The mini is sold out, the iPad 4 is not. It's only going to get more apparent when the LTE is released. I've had the iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3, and now the mini. This one is my favorite by far.

mattroman246

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
The 4th gen isn't sold out because it's not enough of an upgrade from the 3rd gen. I have a 3rd gen and a lightning connector and faster processor really don't do much for me

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
Still love my iPad 3 but when the mini comes with a proper retina display I'll probably get one. I'm still gonna get one for my wife though!

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
It's pretty cool, too bad it doesn't work in portrait mode.

I'd been watching DS9 via Amazon Prime, as well as some TNG on cable. It was nagging at me watching them using the PADDs, making me want that size even more than I already did. I'm extremely happy to finally have an iPad mini.

I wonder how expensive the data plans will be in the 24th century? ATT will probably charge by the kilobyte!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...In contrast, the mini is every bit the unobtrusive device that you leave on your counter or desk until you need it. Then as you're heading out the door you just grab it and go. That was part of the appeal of the PADD to me.

The apeal of the PADD to me was that it was on a spaceship.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
If you don't want one that's fine. But the mini form factor is going to bury the standard iPad in numbers. 3 million wifi only iPads this weekend. The mini is sold out, the iPad 4 is not. It's only going to get more apparent when the LTE is released. I've had the iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3, and now the mini. This one is my favorite by far.

The mini is sold out because they did not make many. They are waiting on Mattel to get them restocked! Do you not think that maybe they made more 4 units than the mini! Are you thinking right?

It is all about choice! Apple is down to only 50% of the tablet market and they have no choice but to try to offer more choices.

Be happy with your "little thing"!

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012

I think we have to wait and see if Apple can cut down the weight of the full size Ipad as well. Let's say the full size Ipad is 14-15 oz (Ipad mini is about 11 oz now) and both of them are retina and has a price difference of about $170 with mini has a processor that is one generation behind. I would guess under that set of assumption, full size Ipad and Ipad mini will sell about even.

bumblehat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
I had an iPad 1, iPad 2, and tinkered with the iPad 3 and 4.

Having now spent a little time with the Mini, I am certain that for the overwhelming majority of customers, it is the perfect form factor.

It is a smaller, lighter, and more agile device that does everything an iPad can do. Of course it's the future.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
The mini is sold out because they did not make many. They are waiting on Mattel to get them restocked! Do you not think that maybe they made more 4 units than the mini! Are you thinking right?

It is all about choice! Apple is down to only 50% of the tablet market and they have no choice but to try to offer more choices.

Pretty nasty there aren't you. I'd like to see what you are like in real life. Oh by the way did you see the announcement that they sold 3 million over the weekend of wifi only models? Anyone who thinks the majority of those aren't minis needs to get a brain refill because they are running low.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

You havent been leeping up. They said mini sold out and that it beat investor expectations of 1-1.5 million in sales because they sold 3million. That means even if it was iPads that were sold its still a good deal for Apple.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I think we have to wait and see if Apple can cut down the weight of the full size Ipad as well. Let's say the full size Ipad is 14-15 oz (Ipad mini is about 11 oz now) and both of them are retina and has a price difference of about $170 with mini has a processor that is one generation behind. I would guess under that set of assumption, full size Ipad and Ipad mini will sell about even.

True, we will have to see. But I do think that for lots of people who are using it mostly for consumption (reading), this size has benefits. For creation, I think the full size will have advantages. And I think the market will eventually have more using it mostly for consumption and therefore picking the smaller size.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
True, we will have to see. But I do think that for lots of people who are using it mostly for consumption (reading), this size has benefits. For creation, I think the full size will have advantages. And I think the market will eventually have more using it mostly for consumption and therefore picking the smaller size.

Personally I would go for the smaller size as well. But for a segment of the customers, they may need bigger display (older folks that need bigger fonts, sales presentation etc.). March to June will be exciting time for Ipad fans. I would guess that Sharp may figure out their financial situation and be able to produce IGZO display in quantity. And we will have another round of should I upgrade or not debate...

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
7" tablets will always serve a purpose. But the fascination with small tablets is a fad like it was with mobile phones. As 10" tablets slim down they will dominate. 5" mobile phones, 10" tablets are the future.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
You havent been leeping up. They said mini sold out and that it beat investor expectations of 1-1.5 million in sales because they sold 3million. That means even if it was iPads that were sold its still a good deal for Apple.

I admit to not leeping up:D

Both will sell very well. It will always be a good deal for Apple. Apple had no choice except to have the mini so they could compete with some of the other hardware out there.

Apple is down to only 50% of the tablet so the mini was a wise choice. I do not think they will sell more mini units than they have iPads. IPads got several years head start!:p

----------

Pretty nasty there aren't you. I'd like to see what you are like in real life. Oh by the way did you see the announcement that they sold 3 million over the weekend of wifi only models? Anyone who thinks the majority of those aren't minis needs to get a brain refill because they are running low.

It was surposed to be a joke but then I forgot how you mini people are!:p

----------

Now, now, no need to get personal.... :cool:

agreed, sorry:eek:

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I wouldn't say it's the future. The mini is for people who take a more minimalist approach to their gadgets. That's me. I don't like bulk or clunky gadgets. Whereas many other people want something larger. So Apple is filling both of those niches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.