Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Yeah, I realize one benefit in that the touch is still more portable to carry around (going exercising, etc). But still, I can't get over that for $299 you can get the most current ipod touch that has a better display, better processor; it's just flat out amongst the most current products they offer. You pay $30 more for the mini and yet take a pretty big leap backwards.....mindboggling.....

If you can find a 5th Generation iPod Touch in stock.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
When this has a retina display and A6 processor at the minimum in a year or two, this things will be a beast to say the least :)

I totally agree but I really wonder how much thicker or heavier it will get because of those upgrades. I find the current thickness and weight to be fantastic.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I've used a Nexus 7 every day for months. I've never once experienced a "scaled up phone app experience." No, wait, as I've mentioned elsewhere, there's a single Disney World travel times app that's phone-ish. That's it.

I haven't used a Nexus 7, but I was very disappointed with the Kindle Fire when I finally got my hands on one for this reason... So much so, that I decided not to buy one.

I was going to buy it as a less expensive smaller tablet, that would also give me something different than my iPad.

I do not see a reason in owning an iPad and an iPad Mini (unless I had too much money to care, which I dont... or I used it for that sweet set up we saw on the iOS blog with an iPad Mini in place of a car's head unit).

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm holding one right now in an Apple store. The display is beautiful. I don't know what people are complaining about. I have an iPad 3, and yeah the Mini isn't as crisp. But it's much nicer than I'd been led to believe.

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I'm sure they couldn't have put a retina display in this year's iPad mini. But chose not to so they have a selling point for next year's iPad mini

You're crazy HAHAH. Apple ALWAYS has selling points, and even if they don't have many, people still buy their products. They simply couldn't do it due to battery/CPU/price. They'd need a better battery, A5X or A6, and then it would cost too much.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It's funny how sales figures imply excellent products when it comes to Apple, and yet never did when it came to, say, Windows PCs, or now with Android devices.

Either sales figures are an important indicator of quality or they're not. They can't only matter when Apple is winning.

When comparing cheap, inexpensive products (Windows PCs, Androids) to Apple products, it's EXPECTED that the numbers are in the favor of the cheaper product. There should be more Fords sold every year than Lamborginis.

But if the OPPOSITE happened - more Lamborginis instead of Fords were sold, despite the more expensive price, clearly Lamborgini is the winner. This is the same with Apple products.

For example, there are 2 soda machines. One is stocked with Coca Cola for $1.00 a bottle. The other is stocked with RC Cola for 40 cents a bottle. They are very similar products. You would expect RC Cola to win based on price. If Coca Cola wins (more sold), it's clear that Coca Cola is the better product - people will pay extra for it.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011

Why ANYONE would buy a mini iPad is beyond me. Unless you are girl with small purse, why buy tiny, fuzzy, washed out screen??

Defeats the purpose of iPad.

:rolleyes:

I see it's primary purpose being for lecture. As someone to stands in front of a group every day to present different topics, an iPad mini is my dream cue card.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Apple reports the number of items SOLD, the others report the number that were shipped. Just because they shipped doesn't mean they have sold.
Apple sells iPhones to carriers. They count those as "sold". If you mean the number of devices in consumer hands, no one uses exact figures.

Also, you seem to have bought into the belief that hapless vendors buy crate loads of Android devices and leave them sitting around in warehouses, as opposed to buying based on demand. They buy based on demand.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
IMHO on the 3 factors described:

Lower Resolution: Not a big issue for me and I understand the tradeoff for lighter weight and lower cost of the panel.

Reflectance: Being someone who is in the display business, I am a little disappointed that the reflectance is as high as it is. It sounds like the touch panel or one of the glass layers is not as well bonded as it can be.

Color Gamut: This is the one I really don't understand. It should be relatively easy to get a good color gamut with the LEDs they are using to backlight the display. Not to mention that IPS displays routinely give 75%-80% color gamuts. This would indicate they need to work on the driver a bit.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm holding one right now in an Apple store. The display is beautiful. I don't know what people are complaining about. I have an iPad 3, and yeah the Mini isn't as crisp. But it's much nicer than I'd been led to believe.

They don't either Jay. I think they need to make an appointment at their Optometrist.

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
I totally agree but I really wonder how much thicker or heavier it will get because of those upgrades. I find the current thickness and weight to be fantastic.

That's a very good point. I'm hoping by the end of next year or 2014 they will be able to develop the product so that it can utilize the screen and handle the power it needs while keeping it thin, we'll see though.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
And even then, the resolution is as good as or better than any ebook reader out there until recently (well, the Kindle DX might be an exception for the three people who bought one).

Plus, as far as reading eBooks... I stick with the Kindle Paperwhite because it so much easier on my eyes then a tablet.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
So the others are better unless you are looking at them with your eyes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I saw the Kindle Fire HD screen in person, and was not impressed. I had it side by side with the Kindle Fire and could barely tell a difference in Best Buy. I guess every screen looks bad when you are coming from the iPad 3.

I could see a very significant difference. Are you possibly borderline ready for reading glasses by chance? I don't say that being rude, but something like that can possibly explain differences in reactions to these two side by side. It's very noticeable to me. Maybe something else was in play during your comparison, maybe finger print smudging from others playing with the devices before you?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
When comparing cheap, inexpensive products (Windows PCs, Androids) to Apple products, it's EXPECTED that the numbers are in the favor of the cheaper product. There should be more Fords sold every year than Lamborginis.

But if the OPPOSITE happened - more Lamborginis instead of Fords were sold, despite the more expensive price, clearly Lamborgini is the winner. This is the same with Apple products.
For a long time, the iPad was the cheapest tablet of its size with anything near its hardware. Thus, it was the Ford.

Arguably, until the Mini, this has remained the case, or a the very least it's Toyota vs Lexus. It's not now, nor has it ever been, Ford vs. Lamborgini.

Until the Mini. And we'll see how sales pan out over the year.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Apple sells iPhones to carriers. They count those as "sold". If you mean the number of devices in consumer hands, no one uses exact figures.

Also, you seem to have bought into the belief that hapless vendors buy crate loads of Android devices and leave them sitting around in warehouses, as opposed to buying based on demand. They buy based on demand.

I believe any devices with carriers would be counted as channel inventory. Apple (alone) distinguishes customer sales from channel inventory.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The opposite is true.

Regardless, Apple sells more tablets than their competitors, so what is your point?

From a pricing standpoint Apple has and advantage because they can buy bulk purchases at the best pricing. The disadvantage though is that their competitors can buy a superior panel because they need 100k unites whilst Apple would required 10x that amount.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
From a pricing standpoint Apple has and advantage because they can buy bulk purchases at the best pricing. The disadvantage though is that their competitors can buy a superior panel because they need 100k unites whilst Apple would required 10x that amount.
So explain the iPad 3.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
- The screen that would make the iPad mini have a higher DPI than its competitors doesn't exist

- Such a screen using existing IPS technology would not get 10 hours of battery life

- Using the screens their competitors are using would be a new form factor, requiring apps to be rewritten for the new form factor, thus fragmenting the app ecosystem. It would not be an "iPad".

- The screen is NOT the same as the iPad 2. It is smaller, so the DPI is higher. Text is crisper than the iPad 2.

What, exactly, is the problem here? How could Apple have met its goals of having an iPad that is 7.9 inches, runs exactly the same software, and gets 10 hours of battery life by doing anything other than what they chose to do?

Anyone have any suggestions?

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Do I detect more of the Microsoft negative spin machine at work here? Every time Apple launches a new product, a cadre of negative critics appears from out of nowhere to rubbish it.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO

I assume this means you also made this post with it? Nice.

When comparing cheap, inexpensive products (Windows PCs, Androids) to Apple products, it's EXPECTED that the numbers are in the favor of the cheaper product.

For example, there are 2 soda machines. One is stocked with Coca Cola for $1.00 a bottle. The other is stocked with RC Cola for 40 cents a bottle. They are very similar products. You would expect RC Cola to win based on price. If Coca Cola wins (more sold), it's clear that Coca Cola is the better product - people will pay extra for it.

Also, there are tons of Android options and they are available on all carriers already. While iOS is only on the iPhones, and not every carrier has them.

I like the Coca Cola comparison btw.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I've used a Nexus 7 every day for months. I've never once experienced a "scaled up phone app experience." No, wait, as I've mentioned elsewhere, there's a single Disney World travel times app that's phone-ish. That's it.

ESPN Fantasy Football is one that immediately comes to mind because I use it so much and because the iPad app really takes advantage of the screen - but the truth is there aren't hardly any tablet specific apps - those apps that are designed to take advantage of a larger screen/high res. If you've never used an iPad and experienced these apps, I can understand you being fine with the N7 - I just wasn't. Android apps are designed to scale to any of the MANY resolutions out there on Android devices - meaning developers really can't take advantage of the increased real estate unless they build different apps for individual resolutions - a daunting task to say the least.

The apps on my iPad are designed for my iPad - this fact really is a big deal.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
So explain the iPad 3.

The iPad 3's only distinguishing feature was the Retina display. The slightly improved camera and Bluetooth were'nt enough. Apple needed two suppliers LG and Samsung and even in the beginning it was pretty rocky once supply dried up.

Do I detect more of the Microsoft negative spin machine at work here? Every time Apple launches a new product, a cadre of negative critics appears from out of nowhere to rubbish it.

Bingo

Like a Phoenix of fecal matter they rise up out of the **** and stink up the place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.