Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
50% is still Beast... especially given the significantly less expensive options from the competition. Props on holding that large of a share of the market.

Looking forward to seeing the Quarter 4 figures.

connectcctv@mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
I've been sitting waiting for a "new" Mac Pro. Then I thought I'd sit and wait for a new iMac, only to find that after sitting for 6 months they announce it, but I still need to sit until December. So I've stopped sitting and bought a Mac Mini, 3rd party SSD and 16 gig of 3 party ram and saved some pound notes. I'll now be sitting and waiting for the new new ipad in 6-7 months. Changing the dock connector and a slight speed bump is not worth the money.

I would buy a iPhone 5 but need a half descent case to cover it. The UK apple store have the Incase snap ( if you are lucky) but that's it. The phone been out for over 6 weeks now for crying out loud.

iWork 09, need I say more

Too many Apple customers are **** scared to spend money when a new rumour starts.

They need to step it up a gear because the competition are finding there feet

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Apple market share slips as competitors give their products away at cost. Shocker.

Didn't Dell and HP prove that chasing market share at the cost of profitability is a really bad idea?

Apple remains in the driver's seat. No time for cruise control though - time to mash the pedal down. Android's tablet ecosystem still sucks and will likely continue to do so for some time as developers struggle to make money in the space.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Apple market share slips as competitors give their products away at cost. Shocker.

Didn't Dell and HP prove that chasing market share at the cost of profitability is a really bad idea?

Apple remains in the driver's seat. No time for cruise control though - time to mash the pedal down. Android's tablet ecosystem still sucks and will likely continue to do so for some time as developers struggle to make money in the space.

Hmmm. Maybe. Or maybe some people aren't as enchanted with Apple devices as they used to be. You know their loyalty is slipping...

http://mashable.com/2012/11/04/iphone-loyalty/

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I can understand why Samsung is coming on strong, what with their focus on quality product.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Review: An Embarrassing, Lazy, Arrogant Money Grab

The Bad: The build quality. Terrible even by Samsung's low standards. The back is actually squishy, and you can feel it deform while holding it. It's noisy too, the plastic creaks, groans, and grinds when you pick it up. Regular, strong plastic would still be unacceptable when everyone else uses aluminum, but this... this is insulting for a $500 tablet.

But this time, Samsung went all out and invented a new, even more horrible form of plastic.

The Note 10.1 is wrapped in the trashiest, most awful, cheapest-feeling plastic I've ever experienced. Sure, the finish is Samsung's usual glossy-plastic junk, but this plastic isn't even rigid. It's squishy.

The hardware is pure, unadulterated garbage. The build quality is so bad, I think it gave me cancer. Samsung gave us last year's display tech and saved their best tablet screen for Apple.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...iew-an-embarrassing-lazy-arrogant-money-grab/

Sounds like a winner! Go get it, undiscriminating device-buying public! MARKET SHARE!!!!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Shipped doesn't equal sold.

True. But Apple doesn't report sold either.

Also - it's important to look at Q over Q. Why? Because manufacturers don't keep shipping products if they aren't being sold. It's not like stores have infinite space. If they aren't being sold - they aren't getting more shipped to them.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Do "kindles" get counted in this? (Not kindle fires, but plain ole kindles)

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
The foot in the door for the Android tablets is the cheap 7 inchers. What worries me is when all those guys decide, "Hey, a tablet is useful after all" and want to upgrade, they'll choose an Android and not an iPad. Apple should have priced the iPad Mini a lot more aggressively. Sure margins take a hit in the immediate future, but long term it would have destroyed that foot that Android had in the door.

Now it's anyone's guess.

emulajavi

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2011
Hi. I think there is an error in the article!!

- market share is what has declined from 59% to 50%
- but shipments were 11 million in 2011 and 14 million this year.

Thank you!

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Samsung had 325% growth in a single year, but yet according to Apple, Samsung tablets are not cool. Ok then...

Samsung is estimated by IDC to have that much growth. Until Samsung releases numbers this is all moot. As far as I am concerned, Apple has 98% of the market since Asus is the only other manufacturer to report actual numbers and that was less than 3M Nexus 7 units since launch.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Samsung had 325% growth in a single year, but yet according to Apple, Samsung tablets are not cool. Ok then...

Price is more likely the reason samsung has been able to gain market share. We will see if the mini is able to cut into that gain by the other tablets.

----------

Hi. I think there is an error in the article!!

- market share is what has declined from 59% to 50%
- but shipments were 11 million in 2011 and 14 million this year.

Thank you!

What is the problem?

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Even when quarter after quarter the numbers grow?

We will never know how many units are sold, unless they tells. I could easily flood the market with my tablet, doesn't mean that many of them were sold.

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Based on what? I don't see anyone buying Samsung tablets, I don't know anyone who owns a Samsung tablet, I don't see news stories about Samsung tablets that are popular.

Here is what I see selling and what people I know have:

Kindle Fire/Nexus 7/RIM Playbooks...

LOL!

"I don't see anyone buying samsung tablets, they are all buying Nexus".....which is a samsung tablet.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
True. But Apple doesn't report sold either.

Also - it's important to look at Q over Q. Why? Because manufacturers don't keep shipping products if they aren't being sold. It's not like stores have infinite space. If they aren't being sold - they aren't getting more shipped to them.

whatever, there is a warehouse somewhere where all of these are being held, there is just no way anyone else is selling tablets

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.