Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Just have a very nice handheld gadget here running a 4-bit Hitachi HD38820 SOC. Who needs more than 2Kb... :D

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
Rumors

Sheesh! It's a never ending theme. I can see Apple coming up with some small, less expensive device to run iOS apps that seems more like a notebook that would use ARM chips. But does Apple want a device like that? They don't seem to be going in that direction.

But to supplant x86 for OS X seems like a stretch. No matter how powerful ARM can get, x86 will always be a magnitude more powerful. Will Apple be willing to sacrifice that power? I don't think so. Apple depends on powerful chips to run its graphical interfaces.

Now that the iPhone 5 is as, or more powerful than, the most powerful G4 PowerBook, some might say that it's powerful enough already for such work. But they would be wrong. Five years from now, an Apple Arm chip might be as powerful as an Intel i5 mobile chip today, but we will be well past that by then.

What I can see happening, is Apple emulating iOS, or having their API's in OS X. Possibly, even an ARM chip in the machine as well, as they are inexpensive, small and use little power.

But I can't see it taking over in OS X unless Apple is willing to abandon all computing tasks that require some real power.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Isn't Microsoft currently selling a Windows tablet that comes as either ARM or 486?

The ARM version of Windows is a locked down OS, like iOS. We're talking about Macs here, not iPads. So what you're saying doesn't matter.

ARM processors that can crunch as fast as Intel processor have no advantages over said Intel processors. Medfield proves it.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
If it benefits the consumer then they should go for it.

Can see this happening for OS XI

There won't be an "OS XI" because "OS X" is an established brand for more than a decade; they'll just keep incrementing the numbers. After 10.9 comes 10.10, and 10.11, etc.

They will, however, run out of cats.

aaarrrgggh

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
With all the negativity here it must be a great idea! It might not be something that would work today, it might just be a ploy to improve negotiating position with Intel, but it gives Apple some really interesting options. Mainly, more of the profit share, but there might be another reason in there for 3-5 years from now.

frolo

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2006
To give Apple the benefit of the doubt, they already have experience dealing with this sort of transition so they probably have some infrastructure in place within XCode to switch from compiling apps from one chip to another.

In terms of hardware, ARM has been steadily catching up in terms of performance with x86 processors and blows x86 away in terms of power utilization. Maybe in a few years the differences between the two will be negligible.

Renzatic

Suspended
Isn't Microsoft currently selling a Windows tablet that comes as either ARM or 486?

And so if Apple is thinking about doing the exact same thing that Microsoft is doing...that's the end of the world?

People need to get a grip.

It's more an argument against people who think ARM can replace x86 at this point in time. It could possibly happen...in the far future. Assuming Intel or even AMD drop the ball so severely it gives ARM a half decade window to play catch up.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I'm sure Apple is considering a lot of things. That doesn't mean it will happen anytime soon - if ever.

I'm sure they have been experimenting with arm for a few years now. Don't see it much more than that either. Macbook air eventually maybe?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

You do understand what those servers are targetted at right ? I wouldn't run my ERP off of them, but as disposable Web servers, they'd be really nice (a bunch of active-active cluster nodes with a good load balancer would make a very nice horizontal scaling architecture with good control over power consumption).

But that's not what we're discussing, we're discussing desktops and laptops!

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
There won't be an "OS XI" because "OS X" is an established brand for more than a decade; they'll just keep incrementing the numbers. After 10.9 comes 10.10, and 10.11, etc.

They will, however, run out of cats.

Once they go to arm = tabby cat maybe?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The ARM version of Windows is a locked down OS, like iOS. We're talking about Macs here, not iPads. So what you're saying doesn't matter.

What I'm saying is that Windows came out with ARM Windows and it didn't replace 486 Windows, it supplemented it.

So what makes anyone think that ARM Macs will replace 486 Macs?

That sure seems to me like a point that 'matters.'

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Nope. Not buying it. But I'm sure it'll stir up the typical MR hornets nest of people who claim to be outraged, who'll say that they will never buy another Mac (from their Windows PC, of course).

But, hey, it's good for page views, right? ;)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Low Level Virtual Machine

http://llvm.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LLVM

I assure you that whatever narrow definition you are trying to apply to the words Virtual Machine are incorrect. LLVM in an acronym with Virtual Machine in the name (formerly)

Sure, but it's not a virtual machine. You don't get bytecode shipped to you and compiled at runtime by this "virtual machine". The developer ships you pre-compiled machine code that is x86.

The "VM" part is not a "VM" like you're thinking : ie, a runtime envirronnement that does JIT compiling or interprets bytecode. Read the sites you posted to actually know what you're talking about.

LLVM is just another compiler with a different model to support multiple architectures.

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
Hmm interesting. Just yesterday was watching new Haswell intel chip and was amazed how great it is. Significantly lower power consumption, nice performance raise, and graphic 2x doubled then hd4000. Since dont have the urge to buy new laptop right now thought to wait next gen, but know I am confused.
Is this a good bye to Apple or we will see something "amazing" who knows.
But doubt ARM could be better.

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
There is no way Apple is gonna Beat Intel in the foreseeable future.
CPU power is on the top of my list and I am not going to be pursuaded otherwise. By then it probably won't matter as the rest of the notebooks will be on par or better than what Apple has to offer (retina, sleek design, OS etc.).

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
ARM = Apps have to be rewritten = Only Mac App Store apps allowed to run on OS X?

I said it wouldn't happen. But if Apple switches to ARM then that changes the game. And I think they might use the excuse of "Apps have to be rewritten anyway, so we can just require that they be written to be compatible with the App Store restrictions"

I really hope not.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
What the hell? It took me forever to get my MacBook to all-Intel-only so that I could reap the benefits of upgrading and leaving the past in the past; at least on one computer.

I've been rocking the majority-PPC-based-systems lifestyle for quite some time, so guess who's going to be supporting Intel well into Apple's next endeavour? This guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.