Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnDory

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
I have a panasonic 46GT33 model, which does not let me program when I want to record TV shows! I can record onto a hard drive, but only in real time. How disappointment.

Could someone advise if I could plug in my old mac mini core duo running 10.6.8, and use it to program when to record off the TV? The TV is satellite, but of course there are av devices. I'd of course want to be able to turn the TV off, but still capture programs - like a good old fashioned video recorder would. If this is possible, what software would I need? Then I could put shows onto a memory stick, oder?

JohnDory

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Thank you so much! I really did/do have no idea. I could live with SD limitation, but would appreciate some feedback from anyone whose tried the eyeTV HD on a 1.66Ghz Core Duo CPU.

I watched the videos, and I'm wondering - I use a satellite for UK TV, and my wife accesses German TV as an AV device through a HDMI port. During setup they said to choose a country - would I need to choose UK and forego those nice controls over Germany content? or can I have multiple set-ups for this situation (or to access any AV input)? Would I have to pay for Germany setup separately - would it be free during the free subscription period?

Did I understand correctly, I could watch one show and record a different channel? I'm presuming recording can be done with the TV off? (it's just that in the video he came home and the TV was on)

Why can't I find "eye TV HD" on the website - except via the link you sent? I also can't find it listed on German Amazon. Is it called something else - there seem to be a few products that look the same... Damn, just as I thought I had a clue.

I'm not too crazy about having to use keyboard and mouse in the lounge room. Is it feasible to bluetooth to the mini from a few metres away? Are there other options? What about using my iphone or an ipad as a remote? Do people do that?

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I will just add that EyeTV on osx 10.8 sucks, it crashes, locks up, audio is screwed up, everything. its pretty much become a pile of garbage and it appears as if they arent doing much in the way of support either.

JohnDory

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
That might be a problem (about not running with Mountain Lion). My worst case scenario would be, if my old mini doesn't cut it to buy a bottom end new mini (but that would be running Lion).

Maybe if the nice people at EyeTV watch these forums, they might work quickly to fix this problem, and let us know. EvilC5 would be happy, and I'd feel more comfortable buying a product that at least runs with the current spec.s.

BTWay, I'm still struggling to find this product elsewhere (eg, Conrad, Amazon, etc). Is it sooo new? Is that why it doesn't run with ML? That would also suggest a fix will eventually come.

Meanwhile, are there any alternatives to consider?

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
they aren't looking, a coworker has had issues with his setup since he installed it and they have done nothing.

if i run the older 3.5 eyetv i can stream live tv outside of my house, but its more unstable. 3.5.5 the audio of live tv is terrible, and the app is still unstable, but not as bad. sometimes when i go to reboot, the app will hang when i quit it and sit there with the beach ball for 15-20 min sometimes.

That might be a problem (about not running with Mountain Lion). My worst case scenario would be, if my old mini doesn't cut it to buy a bottom end new mini (but that would be running Lion).

Maybe if the nice people at EyeTV watch these forums, they might work quickly to fix this problem, and let us know. EvilC5 would be happy, and I'd feel more comfortable buying a product that at least runs with the current spec.s.

BTWay, I'm still struggling to find this product elsewhere (eg, Conrad, Amazon, etc). Is it sooo new? Is that why it doesn't run with ML? That would also suggest a fix will eventually come.

Meanwhile, are there any alternatives to consider?

Donar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Germany
I use a satellite for UK TV, and my wife accesses German TV as an AV device through a HDMI port.
Why can't I find "eye TV HD" on the website - except via the link you sent? I also can't find it listed on German Amazon. Is it called something else - there seem to be a few products that look the same... Damn, just as I thought I had a clue.
If you have Satellite, why not use/buy "Eye TV Sat Free" or the "Eye TV Netstream Sat"? Be aware that both can not handle a Pay TV Smartcard out of the box, but it is possible to add this feature with 3rd party Hardware/Software (Setup of these not officially supported addons can be a pain...).

I did not really understand how your wife gets access to German TV. Through a seperate Sat Receiver that is connected to a HDMI Port of the TV?

Last edited:

davids8477

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Not my experience at all.

I have been running EYETV on 10.8 since it came out - have 3 programs scheduled to record and it does it without any issue.

I will just add that EyeTV on osx 10.8 sucks, it crashes, locks up, audio is screwed up, everything. its pretty much become a pile of garbage and it appears as if they arent doing much in the way of support either.

JohnDory

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
If you have Satellite, why not use/buy "Eye TV Sat Free" or the "Eye TV Netstream Sat"? Be aware that both can not handle a Pay TV Smartcard out of the box, but it is possible to add this feature with 3rd party Hardware/Software (Setup of these not officially supported addons can be a pain...).

I did not really understand how your wife gets access to German TV. Through a seperate Sat Receiver that is connected to a HDMI Port of the TV?

I'm not so concerned about pay tv smartcards or the like. I've had a closer look and these seem pretty ok, even with my old core duo 1.66Ghz processor. Am I right to say these are older more simpler product than the HD version, and perhaps more in-line with my 2006 mini?

Also, what's the difference between Netstream and Sat Free? Is it only the card slot for pay tv? So, if this is not an issue, I should go Netstream?

Incidentally, I'm not so interested in wi-fi-ing TV through the house. I just want to be able to record TV more effectively, and wanted to connect my mini to the TV anyway. I'm wondering if there's perhaps an even simpler option?

To answer your question, my wife gets German stations via an internet box set up coming in via HTMI (D-telecom entertain packet). The TV's own satellite receiver takes the UK stations, and we live in peace and harmony. (try to imagine how unfunny the Simpsons, South Park, and almost any animation is in Germany - and multiply it by Angela Merkel)

Donar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Germany
EyeTVSatFee: Must be connected directly via USB to your computer.
EyeTVNetstream: You can locate it anywhere in the house as long as you can reach a sattelite & ethernet connector.=> The computer / iphone / ipad will catch the program from there through Lan.

Both are DVB S2 (HD Signal) capable, and have no slot for a smartcard. I think your mini is only capable of decoding SD channels.

*edit*
eyeTV HD: Seems like it is only for recording e.g. the component signal of a sattelite receiver.

Last edited:

JohnDory

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
EyeTVSatFee: Must be connected directly via USB to your computer.
EyeTVNetstream: You can locate it anywhere in the house as long as you can reach a sattelite & ethernet connector.=> The computer / iphone / ipad will catch the program from there through Lan.

Both are DVB S2 (HD Signal) capable, and have no slot for a smartcard. I think your mini is only capable of decoding SD channels.

*edit*
eyeTV HD: Seems like it is only for recording e.g. the component signal of a sattelite receiver.

Thanks for this clear distinction. BUT, recording is exactly what I want to do. So, HD is the best option. If only I knew if eyeTV HD works on either my old mini or a new mini with ML.

I don't seem to be able to set up a poll - probably as a newbie. But I'd appreciate a single letter post (feel free to comment) in response to the following:

A) I've used eyeTV HD on a 1.66Ghz duo core mini and it works at least with SD.

B) I've tried to use eyeTV HD on a 1.66Ghz duo core mini and it didn't work.

C) I've used eyeTV HD with OsX ML 10.8 and it works.

D) I've used eyeTV HD with OsX ML 10.8 and it does NOT work.

Thanks.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008

Looking at the link he sent you then is from the North American Site for Elgato. If you goto elgato.com from europe then you get too the International Site.

From the Technical Information for the EyeTV HD on the North American Website.

System Requirements
Macintosh: Intel Core® 2 Duo 2.26 GHz or higher CPU, Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later. We recommend Mac OS X 10.6.2 or later with all software and security updates installed.
2 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port
Cable or satellite receiver with analog video and audio outputs (component output required for HD)
Internet connection required to download Program Guide data.
Note: EyeTV HD is designed for use in the USA and Canada only.

As such Elgato are saying two things her which make unsuitable for you.

1.) Your 1.6 is too slow as far as they are concerned.
2) Is for use in USA and Canada, not Europe.

The European tuners for Satellite only require Intel Core CPU, not even listed as Duo or Core2 so your 1.66 Core Duo should be fine with any of the Netstream Cards for Satellite.

JohnDory

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Note: EyeTV HD is designed for use in the USA and Canada only.

As such Elgato are saying two things her which make unsuitable for you.

1.) Your 1.6 is too slow as far as they are concerned.
2) Is for use in USA and Canada, not Europe.

The European tuners for Satellite only require Intel Core CPU, not even listed as Duo or Core2 so your 1.66 Core Duo should be fine with any of the Netstream Cards for Satellite.

Geeze - how did I miss the not Europe information. Too overwhelming - THANK YOU!

I called them, and on the third go, they explained they have two completely different product lines for US and Europe, so no point dreaming about eyeTV HD (I wanted also the ability to convert VHS tapes into digital). In Europe, the cheapest way to do it is with eyeTV Sat ('free' if no pay TV needed) to program record satellite content onto a HD; and a separate device 'Video Capture' to convert old VHS tapes into digital. Both are about €90 on Amazon.de. The eyeTV Netstream product would do the same as the eyeTV Sat while also beaming satellite content to all wireless devices, but it cost about €90 more.

Thank you to this forum for pointing me in the right direction with invaluable user experiences and impartial advice. Cheers - and bring on tomorrow!!!

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
D
and any of the newer versions of the eyetv software, the audio on the live stream to idevice is messed up and I have the turbo h264 running on a i5 2012 mac mini.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Thanks for this clear distinction. BUT, recording is exactly what I want to do. So, HD is the best option. If only I knew if eyeTV HD works on either my old mini or a new mini with ML.

I don't seem to be able to set up a poll - probably as a newbie. But I'd appreciate a single letter post (feel free to comment) in response to the following:

A) I've used eyeTV HD on a 1.66Ghz duo core mini and it works at least with SD.

B) I've tried to use eyeTV HD on a 1.66Ghz duo core mini and it didn't work.

C) I've used eyeTV HD with OsX ML 10.8 and it works.

D) I've used eyeTV HD with OsX ML 10.8 and it does NOT work.

Thanks.
Should have caught this thread sooner. EyeTV has a crappy video player. Over the years, some versions work ok, others suck balls. I am still on 10.6 with my 2.4 C2D Mini, and the last few versions have been much better for me. (but the comments on ML are very interesting, I need to decide if I'm switching)

But the solution is to play files with something else, like VLC. My old Mini is either a 1.66 or 1.8 CD (I have two in pieces, can't remember which cpu is actually in that box), and VLC can play HD files from EyeTV just fine, when EyeTV cannot. It can even play them via my network from the other computer with VLC. I gave up on EyeTV's networking long ago, that also crashed constantly, or simply failed to connect.

JohnDory

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Should have caught this thread sooner. EyeTV has a crappy video player. Over the years, some versions work ok, others suck balls. I am still on 10.6 with my 2.4 C2D Mini, and the last few versions have been much better for me. (but the comments on ML are very interesting, I need to decide if I'm switching)

But the solution is to play files with something else, like VLC. My old Mini is either a 1.66 or 1.8 CD (I have two in pieces, can't remember which cpu is actually in that box), and VLC can play HD files from EyeTV just fine, when EyeTV cannot. It can even play them via my network from the other computer with VLC. I gave up on EyeTV's networking long ago, that also crashed constantly, or simply failed to connect.

Don't stress the delay - you are still faster than an iMac refresh. I can live with playing things through VLC. We use that already to play DVDs from other regions.

A nice thing about the old mini is the built in player. There is enduring value in simplicity.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Don't stress the delay - you are still faster than an iMac refresh. I can live with playing things through VLC. We use that already to play DVDs from other regions.

A nice thing about the old mini is the built in player. There is enduring value in simplicity.

Thanks for setting the bar low. :D

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

Huh. I haven't had any problems with it on an old (first generation of Aluminum, oldest supported 10.8,) iMac. Then again, I'm also a version behind on EyeTV (3.5.3 instead of the current 3.5.6.) Maybe the older version is more stable?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
My eyetv setup works good locally, but hit or miss when streaming outside the network. One thing that helps is to cycle (pull out the USB and then replug in) the HDTurbo USB dongle when I have issues.

I am using a single tuner HDHomerun (discontinued model), it has worked much better than the previous EyeTV One USB. (To be fair, I have a huge amount of things hooked up to USB, and offloading onto the faster 1g ethernet probably helps.)

I am looking to replace it with a simple.tv that hopefully will be less of a hassle and better streaming when I use crappy hotel internet, eyetv really hates low bandwidth.

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
I'm wanting to do something similar. I'm thinking of using 2 of the HDHomeRun dual tuner units (I currently have U-verse in Atlanta and can record 4 shows at once) with an over the air antenna. Would it be possible to watch recorded programming from the HDHomeRun on my iPad and then use AirPlay with an AppleTV to watch it on my TV's in other rooms? I'm not in a situation where I can have an antenna with runs to DVR's in separate rooms. So I need something centrally located that can then work across my wifi network.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Huh. I haven't had any problems with it on an old (first generation of Aluminum, oldest supported 10.8,) iMac. Then again, I'm also a version behind on EyeTV (3.5.3 instead of the current 3.5.6.) Maybe the older version is more stable?
Just like Flash, my advice is to stay with a stable version if you find it. It's not like they are rolling out cool new features every quarter.

----------

I'm wanting to do something similar. I'm thinking of using 2 of the HDHomeRun dual tuner units (I currently have U-verse in Atlanta and can record 4 shows at once) with an over the air antenna. Would it be possible to watch recorded programming from the HDHomeRun on my iPad and then use AirPlay with an AppleTV to watch it on my TV's in other rooms? I'm not in a situation where I can have an antenna with runs to DVR's in separate rooms. So I need something centrally located that can then work across my wifi network.
Should be. Plenty of ways to get the video in a proper format for iPad/streaming, EyeTV even offers some automatic conversion ability. I haven't used it myself, but I know some do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.