Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weas

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Seville, Spain
I just got my iPad 4 replaced. The screen is still warmer but as bright as the iPad 3's
I think I will live with that.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
The yellowish hue is caused by, if I recall correctly, a bonding agent for the screen. Because the first batches are getting shipped straight from the factory, there isn't enough time for it to fully cure. It should cure and the colors will cool down in the next few days. The same thing happens at every launch.

hobx

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
The yellowish hue is caused by, if I recall correctly, a bonding agent for the screen. Because the first batches are getting shipped straight from the factory, there isn't enough time for it to fully cure. It should cure and the colors will cool down in the next few days. The same thing happens at every launch.

Finally an explanation. I'd read this before but had completely forgotten. And everyone else just says it will get better, which doesn't actually explain it...

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011

If this is true, what's a reasonable period to wait for the screen to become uniform before insisting on a new one? Is there any data out there supporting this issue, or how long it takes to resolve on its own? As long as Apple will agree to replace my iPad outside of the typical 14 day return window, and recognizes this as a defect if it doesn't go away, I've got no real problem giving it several days (weeks?) to resolve.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

That's definitely been discussed and people have seen de-yellowing after 3-5 days.

Somebody even accelerating it by generating as much internal heat as possible ... found the thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1345828/

YMMV.

Mine is a touch warmer vs. my 3rd gen, but very uniform and not "yellow".

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
If this is true, what's a reasonable period to wait for the screen to become uniform before insisting on a new one? Is there any data out there supporting this issue, or how long it takes to resolve on its own? As long as Apple will agree to replace my iPad outside of the typical 14 day return window, and recognizes this as a defect if it doesn't go away, I've got no real problem giving it several days (weeks?) to resolve.

It should cure within a week. If it's not better a few days before your return/exchange window, I'd say exchange it.

albertsw

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012

Thats not true. The glue only leaves little yellow blotches on the screen, it doesn't make the entire screen yellow. All the screens vary a little. If your screen is "yellow" then try playing a movie on full brightness for a few hours and see if it became more white after that.

I don't know why people still say its glue. That was only a minor problem on the iPhone 4 and it went away most of the time.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
Thats not true. The glue only leaves little yellow blotches on the screen, it doesn't make the entire screen yellow. All the screens vary a little. If your screen is "yellow" then try playing a movie on full brightness for a few hours and see if it became more white after that.

I don't know why people still say its glue. That was only a minor problem on the iPhone 4 and it went away most of the time.

Sorry, but you're misinformed.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
My 4 has a great screen - much better than my 3. I went through about 7 different 3s due to uneven yellow/pink screens and eventually waited for a month and got one that was acceptable. It was still uneven though. First thing I noticed about the 4 was the awesome even screen.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Yellow screens again....

----------

That's definitely been discussed and people have seen de-yellowing after 3-5 days.

Somebody even accelerating it by generating as much internal heat as possible ... found the thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1345828/

YMMV.

Mine is a touch warmer vs. my 3rd gen, but very uniform and not "yellow".
I had a few yellow tinted iPads, nothing including wrapping it in a towel removed the yellow

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
No. The glue only creates little blotches on the screen and does not make the entire screen yellow.
https://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/2...ching-resolves-itself-as-bonding-agent-dries/

Did you look at the link I posted? I think it's safe to assume that this iPad uses a similar manufacturing process as the most recent iPhone 5 rather than the 2010 iPhone 4. It's also possible that the blotching (that's a weird word...) was caused by uneven application/drying of the bonding agent.

All I'm saying is that this is a more reasonable explanation than massive, widespread QC failures.

weas

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Seville, Spain
They told me in the store today that the sceen color has a tolerance that can go from same sort of yellowish tone to a bluer color. So I think that we are cool as long as the color is uniform.
We also have to remember that these displays are now manufactured by LG so it's normal if they are slightly different

albertsw

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Did you look at the link I posted? I think it's safe to assume that this iPad uses a similar manufacturing process as the most recent iPhone 5 rather than the 2010 iPhone 4. It's also possible that the blotching (that's a weird word...) was caused by uneven application/drying of the bonding agent.

All I'm saying is that this is a more reasonable explanation than massive, widespread QC failures.

Yes I looked at the link. Im just saying that the glue isn't the problem. All panels are a little different.
If the glue is causing screens to be yellow then what makes some of the screens blueish?
And the iPad 4 screen manufacturing is more similar to the 2010 iPhone 4 because the screen has three layers whereas the iPhone 5 has 2 because of in-cell touch.

Attachments

• In-Cell-Touch-Panel-how-it-works-what-it-is-diagram-550x352-jpg.jpg
    In-Cell-Touch-Panel-how-it-works-what-it-is-diagram-550x352-jpg.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 70

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
My house had two iPad3s... the first one was purchased near launch and had an even cool blue tint which was great I thought for reading, since on low brightness it had a paperish gray effect. My wife's iPad3 which I bought just before the iPad4 launch has a yellowish-green screen, two toned depending on viewing angle. We promptly returned that one. It may be that Apple has switched to a different screen recently or it's just entirely the luck of draw what you get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.