Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:28 PM   #1
rucc22
macrumors member

Anyone use an iPhone hotspot on the iPad?

I just got the new iPad and chose to get wifi only model figuring I can just use my iPhone hotspot when I'm at work or not home. Kinda feeling now like I shoulda got the 4g integrated one. I haven't taken it out of the box yet so I may try to return at an apple store. Anyone have any feedback on using the hotspot? Is it good or should I get it integrated?
rucc22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Thegolem
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucc22 View Post
I just got the new iPad and chose to get wifi only model figuring I can just use my iPhone hotspot when I'm at work or not home. Kinda feeling now like I shoulda got the 4g integrated one. I haven't taken it out of the box yet so I may try to return at an apple store. Anyone have any feedback on using the hotspot? Is it good or should I get it integrated?
Why shouldnt it work? I've got an iPad 1 and it works ok on there If thats any good to you.
Thegolem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Scrub175
macrumors Demi-God

3G iPhone to iPad was pretty slow. I've used LTE iPad to iPhone 5 hotspot and both devices loaded web pages pretty fast. I have yet to try iPhone hot spot to iPad. Verizon iPad has free tether that's why I tested that.
Scrub175 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:00 PM   #4
rucc22
macrumors member

Not wondering if it will work. Just looking for experiences. Does having the 4g integrated make a big difference? Does the hotspot drain the hell out of ur phone?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:22 AM   #5
tkhiem
macrumors newbie

I've just got an ipad 4 and draining the Internet from my iPhone 4S, it's pretty fast, sometime pretty much the same with thet speed I can get with my normal adsl2+ at home (but not always).

So I guess if u just use it for web browsing, facebooking and stuff then it should be fine. I've tried YouTube, it's a bit slow, but not that slow that you cant bother watching.

And finally, battery on the 4s is not drained that bad while being a hotspot.
tkhiem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:38 AM   #6
digitalfailure
macrumors regular

I often use the personal hotspot feature of my 4s with my iPad 3. It's more than adequate for mobile Internet when I can't get on a wifi signal.
digitalfailure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:54 AM   #7
pommie82
macrumors regular

At the moment there is a bug in the iPhone since the update 6.0.1 its seems when you updated and want to make a personal hotspot it doesn't seem to
work the blue line showing hotspot doesn't work.So at this moment in time there is a problem with it but i should of thought they would sort it out and make that it will work properly again.
Just a quick tip if anyone doesn't know this you can buy external battery power supplies on the internet so that you can charge on the move so that you never run out of power.When i have tethered in the past then i always carry one with me because hotspots takes loads of power out of your iPhone and a couple of hours and your phone pretty much flat from using a hotspot.
This is a perfect device for using when you are walking around and you are using a hotspot and your battery going down pretty fast thttp://www.newtrent.com this thing has got me out of a a few situations where i have needed power quite quickely i can charge my iphone about 8 times from 12,000mah battery perfect when you are traveling.The 12,000mah battery will get you through easy a 12 hours tethering if you were to do so.
pommie82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:15 AM   #8
rucc22
macrumors member

Wow. I'll have to check that out. Looks good
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:40 PM   #9
MrMacBookPro
macrumors 6502

dont u need a data plan for the 4g model ipad? I plan on using my iphone 5 as a hotspot while at work to stream netflix since my work has netflix blocked
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:41 PM   #10
jarofclay73
macrumors regular

My only concern is using your iPhone as a hotspot will drain your phone battery quicker. If you have a way to charge your iPhone at the same time then no problem. Or if you have a way to recharge your iPhone via a Mophie case then it shouldn't be too bad.

Obviously, you're trying to avoid paying two different data plans. I guess it really depends how often you'll be tethering.
Apple TV (3rd gen.)
jarofclay73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:06 PM   #11
glen e
macrumors 68030

I just moved from an LTE ipd3 to a WiFi ipad 4 and 4s hotspot on att - it works perfect. I was worried about losing my unlimited plan, but when I looked at the diff, the hotspot worked for all my needs. Both my mini and Ipad4 connections are snappy and work as well as my home WiFi...I use a Mophie external battery on my phone to shore up the reserves...
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting