Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Remember how Apple had x86 OS X being developed alongside PPC OS X? Wouldn't surprise me one bit that Apple has the same going on with ARM

If this rumour is true, then it wouldn't be a suprise at all. Although given the lack of development OSX has seen in recent years I would imagine the process is in a very early stage.

I would hazard a guess they would start with iOS and then build in the features from OSX.

The transition from PPC to Intel was not smooth, another change in platform would be a major pain in the ****. Especially for all the major software providers.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Glad to see you're finally understanding how what you're talking about has nothing to do with this thread topic. Too bad the only way to admit it is by moving goalposts.

It has everything to do with this thread topic.

LLVM is essential to Apple being able to straddle ARM and Intel architectures without too much developer strife.

https://twitter.com/d0k/status/228224463710326784 (Mountain Lion first OS release compiled with CLANG/LLVM)

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
To who's benefit? Not ours:(

Most likely, it will add to Apple's bottom line. That will be the primary question Tim and Jony will be asking. If they can get more money into the hands of Wall Street, they will make the switch in a New York minute.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
And let me rephrase as "Why would they ship iOS MacBook Airs" ? What aren't you getting of the Windows ARM strategy ?

Windows 8 ARM (Windows RT) = iOS
Windows 8 x86 = Mac OS X

What would be the point of shipping a laptop iOS device with the iPad doing so well ?

Microsoft seems to think that a tablet with a keyboard is a good idea. Maybe Apple will too.

At that point it's up to them if they want to call it an iPad Plus or a Macbook Light. This is really a marketing choice, not a technical one.

That's what's silly about this whole thread...people treating a marketing name thing like it's some big technical discussion. So maybe Apple throws a keyboard on an iPad, gives it modified software that's not like iOS and calls it a Macbook?

Microsoft is doin' it, Apple might too.

...the title of the thread?

The title says they're "considering" it. Well, yeah, I could have told you that a year ago. They'd be stupid to not consider it.

Everything beyond that is speculation, though. So remember that, the actual stuff people are freaking out about is all made up.

The "considering" part is real but decidedly non-scary because, yeah, of course they are.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Yeah, ARM is a better chip for low powered devices that don't absolutely need processing power.
Who exactly does "absolutely need processing power"?
With more and more people accessing the internet on low-powered tablets and phones, fewer and fewer people do.

But no one is pushing for ARM to become an alternative to x86 on desktops or laptops.
No. One.
Give me fanless operation on a MacBook Air which can run all day long (say… 12 hours) on a single charge, while providing comparable processing power to today's MBA, and I guarantee you I will.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
A switch to ARM/custom chips would be yet another bad Apple decision in a long line of... no, wait, every major Apple technology change has been met with derision and fear and discussion of why people would stop buying Apple products, and yet Apple has grown ever stronger.

If Apple shifts from Intel, it's likely going to turn out to be a wise decision, and a year later everyone will be mocking (whether or not there is cause to) all the poor people who have to use Intel chips.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple will probably just kill OSX all together and you'll be forced to buy iOS devices. :mad:

They hardly make any profit with the OSX line as it is. And the profit potential is going downwards, not upwards. You are probably correct that they will just kill it all off rather than have it die a slow, lingering death.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
Windows RT is just a stopgap until Intel gets their x86 chips a bit more power efficient (Medfield is getting close), I would not doubt this will happen by the time Windows 9 is due

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
ARM may not be as powerful as x86 today but you can package much more of them in the same space with a lot less power and heat requirements. Overall, this will make laptops with battery life that rivals tablets with little performance impact. Intel is already going in this direction with multiple cores. Think of 8 ARM chips acting like a octal-core x86.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Can't happen until ARM 64-bit goes mainstream, which is still in the "2 years out" timeframe.

----------

...no, wait, every major Apple technology change has been met with derision and fear and discussion of why people would stop buying Apple products, and yet Apple has grown ever stronger.

It wasn't *that* long ago that every such decision was driving Apple ever closer to the brink of self destruction.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Not again. Remember When you decided to drop Google Maps and make your own? How did that turn out?

That's a web service that wasn't polished enough for public and needed consumer data. When iOS Maps works (In my case 100%) it's better than Google Maps.

This is hardware, it can be perfect or close to perfection on release.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Why would you want a way slower CPU in your computer?
Why would you want to carry around a power hog CPU, the battery to feed it and a noisy fan to cool it in your computer?

Nvidia is working on ARM processors to replace Intel CPUs in server applications. Once the 64 bit ARM CPUs are out there, it will be all about power vs. efficiency. Of course, Intel will have the advantage of being the incumbent. Many companies may not be in the mood for rewriting software for a contracting market in PCs (but servers should still be growing) and inertia may keep Intel in business despite ARM's efficiency advantages, but Nvidia believes it has a chance.

elchemor

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Abu Dhabi - UAE
i think when this times come, laptops would cease to exist in real world and will be restricted to museums, everything will be running on tablet like machines.

a 27" iPad Jumbo :D with virtual (invisible) trackpad and keyboard. lolol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.