Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
When you think about these statistics, and the amount of Android users that have to flood these forums with their need to compare and ridicule an inferior product, I don't find it surprising that the average iPad/iPhone user has more disposable income for holidays/luxury products.
Or, perhaps, the Android users are getting a vacation which is just as enjoyable and yet paying about half as much for it.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Are you using a user agent string check to determine this? Because the Android browser and Chrome both have an option to "Show desktop site". Many Android users use this all the time and would show up as "Linux" in your stats.

I'm not saying your ratio of spend is wrong but your stats are almost certainly seriously skewed.

----------

How's that GPS working on the iPad mini? Thing is... even if you had it as on the Nexus 7, you wouldn't know where you were because of Maps. :D

If you need to look into google maps to know where you are you are in need of something else than a tablet.

----------

App numbers/sales/revenues/profits/developer checks is one category for assessing the business success. However in the long run, all the data collection and tracking that both companies are obtaining for free are going to be the key enablers for future businesses. Once they start mining the data, and using it for their benefit we will see who has a better business model, they need each other and they use each other and together they can make wonderful tech products and also get into new thing that will help them have different and more intrusive/intuitive apps that think for the user and make 'our lives easier' in exchange for our privacy and money.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
The only reason I can think of why people write off the iPad 4/ iPad Mini so venomously is the simple fact that can't afford one.

So people who write off Apple products are poor? Nice job fitting into the stereotypical Apple "Elite" there bud.

Bet you would buy 10BC bottled water too and believe anyone who doesn't is a Plebian.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Bet you would buy 10BC bottled water too and believe anyone who doesn't is a Plebian.

The very fact that this product exists makes me think....

i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore-11372-2560x16001.jpg

:(

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I must be intellectually lacking, so when I make a call using my Samsung Galaxy S3, I hide behind my Mac book Pro so that the neighbours don't think I am lowering the tone of the village.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
The only reason I can think of why people write off the iPad 4/ iPad Mini so venomously is the simple fact that can't afford one.

There's a difference between not buying something because you can't afford it and not buying something because you think that an alternative is better value for money.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I work for a large travel company in the UK, looking at Google Analytics, the average spend on our website is really interesting.

Average spend per device on holidays/flights/booking:

iOS Phones: £352
iOS Tablets: £421
Android Phones: £188
Android Tablets £201

When you think about these statistics, and the amount of Android users that have to flood these forums with their need to compare and ridicule an inferior product, I don't find it surprising that the average iPad/iPhone user has more disposable income for holidays/luxury products.

I'm curious, where do you get the information that Apple users have more disposable income? I'm curious about this extrapolation of data paired with your title insinuating Apple users are intellectually superior to Android users. Are you saying Apple users are smarter because they spend more money? Do you know that it's disposable income, or is it credit? Seems like there is something to be said for frugality in these economic times, looking at lower priced hardware alternatives and being frugal in which apps you buy would seem to be an intelligent decision.

These type of rancorous onerous posts just make me curious. For the record I don't use Android, mainly Apple for years until a week ago when I sold a lot of stuff for Windows 8, but I still have one ipad, one MacBook air, and 2 iphones.

Renzatic

Suspended
Money spent had no correlation to the intellectual capacity of a person. Some people may even think that thriftiness is a trait of smarter people. In addition, there is ususlly a disconnect between money spent and the amount of disposable income that person has.

While this isn't always the case, most self made millionaires/billionaires tend to be incredibly cheap about certain things. They might buy a few luxury items and status symbols (the latter being a category Apple stuff might arguably fall into), but they won't go out spending money left and right because they can. They became rich by saving their cash, and using it wisely. They rarely ever change this habit even after they've got more money than any single person could spend in a lifetime.

Compare them to lotto winners, who get hundreds of millions and end up broke after 3 years.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Generally speaking, higher disposable income = higher education levels, since education is still the primary driver for income levels. So the concept of smarter people owning Apple products is a path already well-researched and proven.

Here's a recent study.

Smartphone-owner-profile-600x330.png

Android users are, on average, less educated than Apple users. Not calling out anyone specific, but the whole "Apple users waste money on inferior product" could be 100% true simply because Apple users can afford to do so more than their Android counterparts. The education/intelligence part of of it is open for debate. The fact that more education = more disposable income part, however, is really common knowledge. Well, to the educated people at least.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Generally speaking, higher disposable income = higher education levels, since education is still the primary driver for income levels. So the concept of smarter people owning Apple products is a path already well-researched and proven.

Here's a recent study.

Android users are, on average, less educated than Apple users. Not calling out anyone specific, but the whole "Apple users waste money on inferior product" could be 100% true simply because Apple users can afford to do so more than their Android counterparts. The education/intelligence part of of it is open for debate. The fact that more education = more disposable income part, however, is really common knowledge. Well, to the educated people at least.
Interesting, do you have a link to that study?

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Here's a recent study.

Hmm. Seems like it could be inaccurate. Seems a huge number of teens use iPhones. Unless they're saying the parents buy them and thus the household income and educational level is higher than expected.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Interesting, do you have a link to that study?

There have been several that all showed similar findings, but here's the one from above:

http://rjionline.org/news/q4-how-do-owners-different-mobile-media-media-device-brands-differ

Hmm. Seems like it could be inaccurate. Seems a huge number of teens use iPhones. Unless they're saying the parents buy them and thus the household income and educational level is higher than expected.

I'm sure that's true for BOTH Android and iOS devices. Family plans and all. I doubt this weighs heavier on one side or the other, rather just falls along demographic lines. As the chart shows, just as many teens on Androids as there are on iPhones.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Well without demographic data and a larger sample one sample from one company using unknown demographic qualifiers is flawed. For example, I own both devices and use both to sometimes shop for business travel and personal travel. So based on this, not knowing my age, income level, education level or which device I use for which types of purchases and whether or not I spend more on business travel or personal; which conculsions can you draw?

Honestly, none. The data is flawed; the great thing about statistics is that you can look at the data and model it 100 different ways to show the outcome you wish to show and it will be accurate, in so far as your model is concerned.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
As the chart shows, just as many teens on Androids as there are on iPhones.

It shows nothing of the sort. Android market share far exceeds iOS so there are more teens with Android devices. And more rich people and more poor people. The survey strangely indicates nobody under 18 has a smartphone.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This is insane!

I own both Apple and Android products. Where do I fall in here?

I just had a few friends switch to Android. Should I warn them they are not going on vacations anymore or are going to make less then 75k a year? No, because that's world be stupid.

My mind is blown people find any relevance to these "stats" in the way they are being twisted. The MOST I'm seeing here is maybe a website that works better with iOS.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If I go by the chart above, I'd say you make a goodly amount of money, but likely don't know anything about calculus.

THE STATS HAVE SPOKEN! YOU ARE RICH AND DUMB!

Hmm it's adding up. I live in MD (dumb) but go on vacations to Vegas (dumb and expensive)... :)

yby7esud.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.