Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I was just wondering the other day: what if MR created a "veterans" sub-forum congregating all those with a 68030 status or above to have some mature discussion on all things Apple?

In other words, just a separate section for those who have dedicated a considerable amount of time/posts over here, and who would wish to talk to fellow "veterans" in a light-hearted and adult way (i.e., avoiding childish over-reactions), where even a "veteran's trolling" would be rightly regarded as a joke to laugh about?

What do other fellow veterans/Demi-Gods think?

hfuhruhurr

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
Denver
Sounds like a good idea though I would make the cutoff the 601 level. Everyone knows you aren't truly serious and worthy of an elite status until 5,000 posts. And no buying your way in...post experience only.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Because everyone who has been around for a while are worthy of having their own lengthy discussions in a civilized manor, and as soon as us lowly posters who only have 1,500 posts join, said discussion will fall to pieces. Makes total sense.

</sarcasm>

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
The number of posts is not a factor to co sider for anything.
Everyone should be free to join a thread in my opinion. Newbies' posts are as worthy as anyone else's.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How about including long time lurkers? :)
Agreed. In doing something like the OP's suggestion you are omitting some long-time members. Just because you don't have 20k posts or something silly like that does not mean you shouldn't be considered a veteran IMHO.
Number of posts does not equal maturity.

Exactly. Look at me, I'm a total *******! :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
How about including long time lurkers? :)

Yes, I see your point. I expect that quite a few of us started out as 'long time lurkers'; certainly, I did, and only joined MR because I thought it would be nice to be able to find out stuff, and, more to the point, be able to ask questions about a MBP I had bought three months earlier.

Everyone once started ... Give us a chance to learn from the elder and to grow

Exactly. Well said. ;)

Exactly this. IMO everyone was new here somewhen and to exclude others because of this seems unjust.

I agree completely with this - we were all 'newbies' once upon a time, and, for that matter, most of us have been in the position where we have asked questions which may have seemed pointless, or repetitive, or simply clueless.

But that is the point of sites and fora such as this. You ask, in the safety of a secure (and anonymous) environment, and hopefully, some kind and knowledgeable soul takes it upon themselves to give you a reply which answers your question.

Then, some day, weeks, or months, or years, later, you are the one giving answers to questions which may well have been asked at least a thousand times before.

Nah - I like the mix of old and new - and meeting new - I was about to write 'faces', but let us say, 'avatars' and new noms-de-plume while trawling and participating in these fora.

The WW & EM games have had a terrific mix of old and new players - which is a wonderful way to get to meet new people.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Not a good idea IMO either. Just as others stated, some folks would be left out who've been here a long time, but don't have the higher post count, and longevity ≠ maturity.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I believe you need to have a certain amount of posts to write on the community discussions section & marketplace so I guess you would want to increase the post count possible. Also, your #'s are low for someone that started on '05 only 1.5 posts per day; so if you want true veterans how people w/ about 3-4 posts per day :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Seems too cliquish and exclusionary, MR is about community, helping those who come here for it, discussing apple products now and what will be in the future. Having a forum of people who have a high post count seems to run against the grain of that ideal.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Seems too cliquish and exclusionary, MR is about community, helping those who come here for it, discussing apple products now and what will be in the future. Having a forum of people who have a high post count seems to run against the grain of that ideal.

Actually my point was just about having an older-members' club section, those used to talking to each other on a more or less frequent basis around here. It's not at all about exclusion, but just about having a dedicated, closed sub-forum just like contributors do.

As an example, longtime members are kinda used to seeing my deliberately-provoking "MS is dead" expressions and react as expected: jokingly. However, most if not all of the younger members take this seriously and get extremely annoyed when such provoking statements are made.

In other words, a sub-forum for whisky-soaked, nonchalant discussions, where even the most heated clash of ideas does not fall victim to personal offenses.

And I don't mind at all about my post count - I just thought a 68030 level or so would constitute a reasonable threshold for having people in - if you wanted to have it as 601, so be it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I don't really like the idea of some kind of "elite" sub-forum either...If I come across a thread that I consider to be inane, I just ignore it. Most members, old and new, have valid contributions to make.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I don't really like the idea of some kind of "elite" sub-forum either...If I come across a thread that I consider to be inane, I just ignore it. Most members, old and new, have valid contributions to make.

"Older" doesn't mean "Elite" - you may as well create a "Young" sub-forum...nevermind anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.