Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tylerjamison

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Hi there,

I just wanted to see if anyone knows when there might be a new update to the iOS Google Drive app. Right now the app is pretty slick. I'd like to implement it's use on a couple of iPads at work to use as a cloud based schedule so that between two driver's and one person at the office on a computer everyone could stay in sync, but as of right now the iOS app does not allow for the use of tables or editing of spreadsheets.

I don't know how I can sell the idea of purchasing two new iPads to my boss if these features aren't available because they are crucial to our operation.

Side note: do you know of any other apps that would work for something like this? Basically, we run a transportation service where people submit schedules to us for when they want to be picked up, dropped off, and at what time. We print out an excel spreadsheet every day with this schedule and carry around a hard copy that we then have to edit by hand and then radio in to each other to let everyone know of any changes. Using the cloud-based alternative would be way more reliable.

Thanks for any input you might have!

Tyler

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I am no longer on iPhone but I was under the impression that the latest Google Drive update for iOS allowed you to edit and create both docs and spreadsheets.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Nope, you can only create/edit a document on iOS--not a spreadsheet.

Right, the native app only allows documents. Editing spreadsheets can be done through the browser however, here is what they say in the support page for the iOS app:

"Google spreadsheets can currently be viewed and edited only through the mobile browser. We’re working on an iOS-native editor for Google spreadsheets."

They'll likely include the functionality in the next update.

tylerjamison

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Right, the native app only allows documents. Editing spreadsheets can be done through the browser however, here is what they say in the support page for the iOS app:

"Google spreadsheets can currently be viewed and edited only through the mobile browser. We’re working on an iOS-native editor for Google spreadsheets."

They'll likely include the functionality in the next update.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea when the next update might come out?

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea when the next update might come out?

Not sure but the Drive app has a Send Feedback/Report an Issue feature, you could use it to send them a request for the ability to create/edit spreadsheets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.