Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I often see people with iPhone, laptop, and iPad but my question is why buy an iPad if you have an iPhone and laptop, especially if you have a laptop like the Air that is very portable.

I understand more so if you have an iMac at home.

What do you do with your iPad that you can't do with your laptop or iPhone?

I think it's a great device but what void does it fill if you have a laptop/iphone?

Winepronecowboy

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
So, Its a void that is present if you don't have one. (or more)

Why need justification? everyone posting here seems to need backing up on every decision made, what is wrong with people?

Last edited:

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Its a void that is present if you don't have one. (or more)

Why need justification? everyone posting here seems to need backing up on every decision made, what is wrong with people?

I don't need any justification, I am asking WHAT IS that void?

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom
Who cares. I love my iPad for casual use when i cant be bothered to use anything else and dont fancy eye strain on my phone,.

Bdix

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
I don't think he/she "needs" a justification. Nor do I think people who ask these questions take what people say as a word from god. It's just a way to gauge the mindset of others.

That said, I am also curious about this. I have a portable laptop (MBA) and iPhone and feel like I don't have a real justification for having and iPad as well (besides that my company will pay for it). But when I was considering buying one with my own money, I found it hard to spend that kind of money (having an additional toy I guess...which there is nothing wrong with, I suppose)

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Is not about "need" , it is more about "want". Ppl might want ipad because they want to experience apps on ipad. another factor might be design , holding the tablet feels good . And another one might be coolness? Idk

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
I often see people with iPhone, laptop, and iPad but my question is why buy an iPad if you have an iPhone and laptop, especially if you have a laptop like the Air that is very portable.

I think it's a great device but what void does it fill if you have a laptop/iphone?

I agree with you that I don't understand carrying all three with you at the same time (unless you are on an extended trip or moving to a new home). Other than this I only see a need for two of the three devices at any one time. With that said, I see nothing wrong with owning all three. I have a MacBook and iPhone currently, and I plan to buy an iPad Mini as soon as I can find one in stock.

The reason I would want to add an iPad to my mix of devices is because neither of the other two can fully deliver an iPad experience. Obviously a laptop cannot be anything like a touchscreen iOS device. An iPhone can be similar, but it is a much smaller scale and apps generally have less to offer. For example, using Flipboard for iPad delivers so much more content on screen. It is just nicer to interact with. Or some of the painting apps. You can use brushes on iPhone and iPad, but iPad is a better experience and allows you access to create finer detail on a bigger canvas (not to mention how ridiculous someone must feel to use a paintbrush stylus on a screen as small as iPhone). The extra screen space of an iPad allows software devs to come up with a much more interesting and engaging user experience whereas the limited screen space on an iPhone makes devs have to edit out a lot of content to make it fit. Playing games on iPad allows much more onscreen at a time so less scrolling and panning and zooming for the user.

When the iPhone came out, it changed how people interacted with their smart phones. It was new and interesting. Then the iPad came out, and took the iPhone experience to the next level. it just changes how you interact with your apps and content.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Simple for me. The iPad is that "in between" device. I have an iPhone as a phone. I have a rMBP hooked up to a SMART Board when I'm at work. The iPad is mostly a work device. Can't use the MBP when projecting lessons on the SMART Board and can't take it out of the room when at work. The iPad gives me a computer when I can't or don't want to use a computer.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I don't think he/she "needs" a justification. Nor do I think people who ask these questions take what people say as a word from god. It's just a way to gauge the mindset of others.

That said, I am also curious about this. I have a portable laptop (MBA) and iPhone and feel like I don't have a real justification for having and iPad as well (besides that my company will pay for it). But when I was considering buying one with my own money, I found it hard to spend that kind of money (having an additional toy I guess...which there is nothing wrong with, I suppose)

I think the iPad is a great device but like you said when it comes down to paying for it I can't justify buying it. I enjoy using it but I can get much more work done with my Mac Air and my iPhone is my fun per say device on the go.

Like you stated I am just curious to how people use their iPads because I don't see a way in which all three devices are needed the way I need my iPhone or Mac air.

----------

Simple for me. The iPad is that "in between" device. I have an iPhone as a phone. I have a rMBP hooked up to a SMART Board when I'm at work. The iPad is mostly a work device. Can't use the MBP when projecting lessons on the SMART Board and can't take it out of the room when at work. The iPad gives me a computer when I can't or don't want to use a computer.

why can't you project your rMBP onto the smartboard?

as far as work device doesn't a touch keyboard get in the way? or I am assuming that you use your MBP then transfer it to your iPad.

jimmysuggs

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Why does anyone have anything?

It's certainly not because they need it, it's generally because they simply want it, for one reason or another.

You don't NEED a lamp, you could use a candle.

You don't NEED a couch, you could sit on the floor.

We have the things we have because we want them, not because we need them. This is why I'm not baffled by people carrying ipads or what have you when I walk down the street. They wanted them (for whatever reason) and they purchased them. Same reason they have a couch or a lamp. To try to understand WHY people want they want seems pointless. They simply do.

MrMacBookPro

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
FL
Who cares. I love my iPad for casual use when i cant be bothered to use anything else and dont fancy eye strain on my phone,.

exactly.. a phone is what is intended for "a phone".. I'd rather play games and download apps on a Tablet so u can appreciate the game or task for whatever your doing..

The ipad is portable like a laptop but easier to handle and carry IMO... I'd rather travel with an ipad than the laptop... So many uses for the ipad..

Bdix

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012

It's certainly not because they need it, it's generally because they simply want it, for one reason or another.

We have the things we have because we want them, not because we need them. This is why I'm not baffled by people carrying ipads or what have you when I walk down the street. They wanted them (for whatever reason) and they purchased them. Same reason they have a couch or a lamp. To try to understand WHY people want they want seems pointless. They simply do.

Again, "need" isn't the issue.

What OP was asking, and what I piggybacked on, is
what is it you get out of it? What do you use it for? It's perfectly acceptable to say "I had $500, and I just wanted it."

I just think we're more interested in the why and how it fits with your other devices.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012

True, lets run around naked and live in trees.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Reading. iPhone is too small and a laptop is a terrible form factor for reading.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Reading. iPhone is too small and a laptop is a terrible form factor for reading.

Exactly. Reading is the main reason why I wanted an iPad. I used to try to read in bed or on a sofa with a laptop, and always ended up wishing I could take off the keyboard and hold just the screen. Yes, I can also read on the iPhone, but the bigger screen on an iPad makes for a better experience. It's a bonus that I can also type forum posts and emails on my iPad, like I'm doing right now. I still keep a laptop for when I need to do a lot of typing while on the go, but it is my least used device by far.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

for me, my ipad is my main personal computing device. When I say main, i dont mean it's my most capable, but its the one i use most when I'm at home.
when im out of the house, my iphone is my device of choice. True, I can probably get by - I did for a week as i Sold my ipad for an ipad 4.
but I'd much rather browse the web, read emails, go on facebook, read a book, watch a tv episode on my ipad rather than my laptop which is stationed in my office/recording room upstairs.
when I'm lounging around the sofa, and I need to browse the web, i pick up the ipad. when I'm reading the bible before bed, i pick up the ipad. it's the most convenient way to access the internet for me. Using a laptop would mean I would have to unplug it from everything, and worry about how to physically use it (it's not as easy to use a laptop when lying down on the couch as it is to use an ipad..) and worry about having a charger around - I don't know what it is, I know the iPad is only rated 10 hours and the macbook is 7, but my ipad feels like it can run circles around my MBP in battery life.
On top of that, the ipad is instant on. i pick it up, slide the smart cover open, go. not so with my macbook

Bdix

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Exactly. Reading is the main reason why I wanted an iPad. I used to try to read in bed or on a sofa with a laptop, and always ended up wishing I could take off the keyboard and hold just the screen. Yes, I can also read on the iPhone, but the bigger screen on an iPad makes for a better experience. It's a bonus that I can also type forum posts and emails on my iPad, like I'm doing right now. I still keep a laptop for when I need to do a lot of typing while on the go, but it is my least used device by far.

this is helpful. I hate reading for long periods on my laptop or phone. this is a good justification

spiralynth

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I can't justify sh^t.

I currently have:
- 1 iPod
- 1 iMac
- 2 iPads
- 3 iPhones
- 5 laptops (all PC, but I'm about to buy a MacBook Pro Retina)

I'm the only one who uses all this crap — it's not like I have kids or a family. Makes no sense, really.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
An ipad is an appliance.

The battery lasts forever so it's nearly always charged.

The OS is simple so there is very little overhead for maintenance tasks.

It's small and unobtrusive.

All of these things mean that an ipad can be placed around the house, in the kitchen/living room/bedroom and be picked up and used at will without thinking about 'computer' stuff 99% of the time. It just gets out of your way better than any other computer I've ever used. It doesn't hurt that the form factor is pretty sweet for lounging as well.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
My dream was to be home server all-in-one, powerhouse running my video needs and server needs around the house with a portable device browsing the web and light tasks but portable.

iMac and ipad mini made that dream come true.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
My dream was to be home server all-in-one, powerhouse running my video needs and server needs around the house with a portable device browsing the web and light tasks but portable.

iMac and ipad mini made that dream come true.

Once I have a house, I will ditch a laptop and have this same setup!!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

Here's the role a tablet plays for me. I say tablet because I have iPads & Android tablets.

Working at a laptop or workstation during an intense 10 hour day, by the time I'm home, I'm not eager to use either my MBP or MBA.

Instead it's nice to pickup a lightweight tablet, recline in my living room while surfing the web or returning a friends email.
It's simply a matter of having choices & variety.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.