Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
According to this, that monitor uses a DVD-D input. Get this adaptor from Apple, and you will be good to go.

Plug the adaptor into a Thunderbird port and the other end into the DVD cable included with the monitor.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
It's got HDMI input. All you need is a simple, cheap HDMI cable, since the rMBP has HDMI output.

It will be 1920x1080, and it will look as good as the monitor gets.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It's got HDMI input. All you need is a simple, cheap HDMI cable, since the rMBP has HDMI output.

It will be 1920x1080, and it will look as good as the monitor gets.

Good catch. Thanks. I forgot the new Retina has HDMI.

----------

Will the resolution still look decent?
Thank you btw

It will display at its native resolution, so yes... it should look fine. I am not familiar with that particular monitor though, so you might want to look around at some reviews.

It is not going to look as good as say a Thunderbolt Display from Apple, mainly because the Apple display and displays in the Apple's class use IPS panels.

BruceiD

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Belgium
Good catch. Thanks. I forgot the new Retina has HDMI.

----------

It will display at its native resolution, so yes... it should look fine. I am not familiar with that particular monitor though, so you might want to look around at some reviews.

It is not going to look as good as say a Thunderbolt Display from Apple, mainly because the Apple display and displays in the Apple's class use IPS panels.

Thank you guys!
I'm on a budget and this monitor looked actually very decent in the store I'm going to pick one up and also an HDMI cable! Thank you guys :)

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Suggestion....get a monitor that does 2560x1400 instead of the much lower HDMI resolution of 1920x1080.

BruceiD

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Belgium
Suggestion....get a monitor that does 2560x1400 instead of the much lower HDMI resolution of 1920x1080.

Oh well it's hard finding a monitor with that kind of resolution with the budget I've got (€300 max).
Anyways I just noticed that the link I provided is wrong and the actual monitor I saw in the store was the: VS238N, which is the same but without HDMI input, which means that I'd have to get MiniDisplay to DVI-D (€99!!!) so I won't be doing that I guess..
Can anyone recommend me a great monitor (max €300) that works nicely with rMBP :)?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Can anyone recommend me a great monitor (max €300) that works nicely with rMBP :)?

I can't recommend one, especially as I wouldn't know prices in your country, but most monitors these days support HDMI.

Is the Apple converter really 99 Euros when it's only $29???? In any event, you can buy a cable that's mini display port on one end and DVI on the other. Dell sells those for $23 here in Canada, and most computer stores would have one for a few dollars less.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
You can find recommendations from PCMag, CNET, and others by Googling on

best monitor.....or.....best photography monitor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.