macrumors 6502a

Your post bores me.
xkmxkmxlmx is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:59 PM   #27
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise View Post
I love when you guys claim things are "irrelevant" because YOU dont find them necessary.

----------

Opinion: A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
Or those that believe that because they have a need for something, it must apply to everyone rather than just being something a very small percentage would care about.

Apple knows that themes slow things down. They're more resource heavy using more battery and processor power. They also introduce other problems causing instability. They'd want to control things like they do with apps through the App Store and unless people are going to pay for them, why bother since it'd be a huge process to manage. Additionally right now when an application crashes, you blame the developer. If a theme crashed the OS most would blame Apple rather than going to the theme developer.

There are other options for those that don't like iOS. If you want to play with themes and spend hours tweaking things to get everything to work right, get an Android phone. One device isn't going to be all things to all people.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:46 PM   #28
Stelv
macrumors newbie

Even after you spend hours tweaking your android device, it still will not perform well.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:49 PM   #29
Vermillon
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannesss View Post
I know a lot of people have said this, but I just don't understand it. I love my iPhone, but I seriously can't wait until they completely change the UI.
It's just boring and there's no excitement or surprise anymore. I know I could jail break it, but id really rather not mess with that and the Cydia store etc. I don't want a clown to pop out of the screen, just something less boring than the same looking OS from the iPhone 3G.
Wish they would bring out a jailbreak for the iphone 5 already, least makes it abit more exciting with regards to the UI.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:56 PM   #30
frayne182
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
Even after you spend hours tweaking your android device, it still will not perform well.
Thats not true, but keep believing that if you must
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:04 PM   #31
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
Never really understood why some people care so much about the UI of iOS. I spend just a couple seconds with it any time I use my iOS devices. It's used the launch apps which is all I care about. It's the apps that make any device, not the OS itself. Who really sits and stares at their home screen for hours like we do with apps like Twitter, Facebook, and the countless other games and apps? As long as it's quick and clean to launch apps, that's all I care about.

Honestly, no one cares about your cool Mario theme yet some people think it's the coolest thing ever.
Bingo. It's all about the apps and iOS executes them with efficiency.

Sure iOS could use some more features but a complete overhaul? It's just not needed.
QuarterSwede is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:06 PM   #32
yeah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by diagnostics247 View Post
Now that Apple dropped the dude who was keeping Skeumorphism around, we may see a change sometime in the future... Maybe... At least I hope they update the Game Center and Find My Friends... GD those are ugly.
Give us the option to delete stock apps...

GameCenter, Newsstand, FaceTime, etc... preferably.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:07 PM   #33
buddybd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You clearly haven't seen the upgrades Android got recently. Android has been ahead since 4.1 JB, it's only a matter of time before more developers join in as well.
buddybd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:21 PM   #34
iAll
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise View Post
Siri can find me movie tickets but can't understand "Turn off wifi"
Having used an android (motorola atrix 2) for the last 6 months, I must agree.
I like being able to unlock and turn off bluetooth and/or wireless in the first screen.

Siri can't control settings?? I won't get my ip5 until tomorrow. Bummer!
iAll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:57 PM   #35
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a

your'e not the only one, I've sold my iPhone 5 and will be purchasing the Nexus
the last update screwed up my wifi issue even more.... I just don't understand what is Apple doing? minor spec bumps thats it , where is the innovation ?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:02 PM   #36
JoeyCloverfield
macrumors regular

I don't think the word "boring" is the correct word. An OS isn't suppose to entertain you. It's not like it's called Halo 4 OS, so I don't understand the confusion.

With that said, most of the comments here seem to be about disappointment that iOS doesn't have widgets and/or customization. Personally, I don't care for either of these, but I do believe iOS has to take the step to implement these features to some degree. Specially since iOS's biggest competitors, Windows Phone 8 and Android what-cha-ma-call-it, both have variations of the features. Hopefully with iOS 7, but Apple has disappointed before.
JoeyCloverfield is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:08 PM   #37
Stelv
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybd View Post
You clearly haven't seen the upgrades Android got recently. Android has been ahead since 4.1 JB, it's only a matter of time before more developers join in as well.
I just got rid of my GSM Galaxy Nexus which had been running 4.1 since July. My tab 2 that I still have is over clocked running AOKP stable Jellybean. I have had many many Android devices. IOS still performs better than Jellybean IMO. I spent many months with Jellybean and can say there was still choppiness and lag. Android has gpu and main thread issues still.
Stelv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:22 PM   #38
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular

Apple has limited the OS for simple reasons but a lot of users want some change. Widgets are something that a lot of us want because it gives us more free and functionality ie email widgets so i dont have to open mail app, facebook widget for quick updates, etc. This won't kill battery life (we see that from android phones that have comparable battery life to the iphone). This does require more RAM noted by 2gb RAM on comparable android phones and only 1gb RAM on iPhone. All this translates to is more money for apple... Thats why comparing specs between iphone and android phones are pointless because they do way different things, android is like a high end gaming computer and the iphone is like an ultrabook. The android phones need the extra power for the complex tasks and the iphone doesnt since it does simpler tasks. Sure apps are a different story but lets talk OS.

I dont see why apple shouldnt give us more in our phones unless they want to continue using lower end specs and still be able to run smooth. iOS is a very nice OS but it can and should be better. I'm not talking about a huge overhaul of the interface but make it more like a PC desktop with icons I can put wherever I want (this wouldn't kill em...) and widgets which let me do more. Basically we want to have more functionality and make the phone look more like we want it to. Minus the apple App store and the stability (because of a limited OS) android gives us more and at the end of the day (as android becomes smoother), we want more. I'm not bored, I'm frustrated with what I can't do with an iOS device.
cnguyen0320 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:34 PM   #39
Stelv
macrumors newbie

Android has processes constantly running. It aggressively multitasks on the main thread which interferes with user processes while iOS prioritizes the main user task. Its not just that iOS is simpler, it is written in a more optimized way. That is why Android is always looking to promote its specs, but choppiness will still be there until they scale back the way that processes run on Android.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:15 PM   #40
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular

Quote:
Android has processes constantly running. It aggressively multitasks on the main thread which interferes with user processes while iOS prioritizes the main user task. Its not just that iOS is simpler, it is written in a more optimized way. That is why Android is always looking to promote its specs, but choppiness will still be there until they scale back the way that processes run on Android.
Some of us like this. i love this. I think iOS does well but it can do better. Multitasking is important and when someone puts a widget on the homescreen, they are asking the OS to multitask that. I want this in iOS, I want iOS to give me more. Choppiness comes in when people recklessly use up RAM (more so in newer phones since older android phones just sucked).

The thing about iOS is that with new updates, they dont give us something drastically awesome, instead they give us passbook, a replacement maps, additional features to siri. What they miss are things that really matter, stock OS productivity, easier faster ways to do things, and for siri, siri still sucks at understanding me making it almost useless. In other words, apple should give us what we need/want not what would be "cool" and pretty (ie apple maps and passbook).
cnguyen0320 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:46 PM   #41
Claefer
macrumors regular

Really, what you should be arguing for isn't a more lively Home screen but a better Notification Center and Lock screen. The Home screen is for getting people inside apps as fast as possible.
Claefer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:50 PM   #42
Stelv
macrumors newbie

Passbook and maps do kind of suck. I do hope that they innovate more with iOS, but iOS is a breath of fresh air for me after being on Android for so many years. And more ram isn't what android needs (we having been saying over at xda that android will get better with more ram for a long time now and it still lags), the entire OS needs to be rewritten in non legacy code made for a touch screen device. Android was originally on non touch devices when it was first released and Google hasn't rewritten the code to take advantage of touchscreen interface since then. Android will be greatly innovative but will always be buggy and choppy until they rebuild the base code.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:32 AM   #43
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannesss View Post
I know a lot of people have said this, but I just don't understand it. I love my iPhone, but I seriously can't wait until they completely change the UI.
It's just boring and there's no excitement or surprise anymore. I know I could jail break it, but id really rather not mess with that and the Cydia store etc. I don't want a clown to pop out of the screen, just something less boring than the same looking OS from the iPhone 3G.
Oh boy, what a refreshing thread, I've never seen a post like this! /s

Really? We don't care if you are bored, get an android, get a windows phone, there are other options out there.

Are you gonna tell us about how your teacher swore in class next time?
JS82712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:43 AM   #44
kannesss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
Oh boy, what a refreshing thread, I've never seen a post like this! /s

Really? We don't care if you are bored, get an android, get a windows phone, there are other options out there.

Are you gonna tell us about how your teacher swore in class next time?
My bad. I forgot you are the most original posting person here. You bore me. And you have no idea how old I am, and while we are at it, I'm 22, so no, I won't discuss my teacher. I won't because it has NOTHING to do with apple at all, unlike boredom of the same looking OS, does. See the point? And how you don't have one?
A$$$$$$hole
kannesss is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:59 AM   #45
MacPro23
macrumors member

It's just a matter of time...

I'm sure eventually iOS will be completely overhauled, just like they did when Apple transitioned from Mac OS to Mac OS X. Apple will probably continue to refine iOS for another 4-5 years and then completely redesign it and start innovating again.
MacPro23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:32 AM   #46
Hawtin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAll View Post
Having used an android (motorola atrix 2) for the last 6 months, I must agree.
I like being able to unlock and turn off bluetooth and/or wireless in the first screen.

Siri can't control settings?? I won't get my ip5 until tomorrow. Bummer!
Even Siri thinks not being able to control settings is plain stupid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	375334  
Hawtin is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:03 AM   #47
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnIIBurn View Post
Also being able to select how long I want the snooze duration to be on my phone would be killer too. 10 mins is awkward for me.
As someone who presses the snooze button several times, I agree. I eventually just turned it off. There should be a "special" timer for a wake-up alarm instead of putting it in all the alarms.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:13 AM   #48
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I just got rid of my GSM Galaxy Nexus which had been running 4.1 since July. My tab 2 that I still have is over clocked running AOKP stable Jellybean. I have had many many Android devices. IOS still performs better than Jellybean IMO. I spent many months with Jellybean and can say there was still choppiness and lag. Android has gpu and main thread issues still.
My N7 on Jellybean has not stuttered or lagged once....It is as smooth as ios6.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:52 AM   #49
flameproof
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawtin View Post
Even Siri thinks not being able to control settings is plain stupid.
It can't? Can it switch data feed or 3G on/off? I do that often on my iPhone 4, it something like 10 clicks.... (can't put shortcuts on the desktop and couldn't find an app to make it simpler).

Can Android do it?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven11 View Post
Live widgets and other UI related features are irrelevant eye candy and would drain battery life.
But they are options. Driving fast also uses more petrol, still fun. I don't have to, but nice to have that OPTION.
flameproof is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:18 AM   #50
Stelv
macrumors newbie

Here is a good unbiased comparison of the Nexus 7 vs iPad from phonebuff. This guy has a lot of good side by side comparisons.

http://youtu.be/i02GD9eMGuc

http://www.phonebuff.com/2012/09/ipad-3-vs-nexus-7-speed-comparison/

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6