Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:27 PM   #351
swindmill
macrumors 6502a

There's one room in my house where I'd love to have 4 of these bulbs, but the room has 6" can recessed lights. I wonder if I could make these work with the appropriate trim for the cans....

Anyone tired these in place of r30 bulbs?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:42 PM   #352
thelead
macrumors 6502

Cool product but the price will kill it.
thelead is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:43 PM   #353
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindmill View Post
There's one room in my house where I'd love to have 4 of these bulbs, but the room has 6" can recessed lights. I wonder if I could make these work with the appropriate trim for the cans....

Anyone tired these in place of r30 bulbs?
I have recessed lights downstairs - 25 of them. I don't see why they would not work. If I had the money, I would replace all of them with these. You can get an extension adapter from the store for like 50 cents or so.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:47 PM   #354
swindmill
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
I have recessed lights downstairs - 25 of them. I don't see why they would not work. If I had the money, I would replace all of them with these. You can get an extension adapter from the store for like 50 cents or so.
I suppose with the return policy, I have nothing to lose. The depth of the bulb is adjustable from inside the can, but if I need more, I could get extensions. The only question then is how they'd look with the space between the bulb and the trim. It would probably be a matter of finding the correct trim to fill the void. Might be worth a shot.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:59 PM   #355
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindmill View Post
I suppose with the return policy, I have nothing to lose. The depth of the bulb is adjustable from inside the can, but if I need more, I could get extensions. The only question then is how they'd look with the space between the bulb and the trim. It would probably be a matter of finding the correct trim to fill the void. Might be worth a shot.
Give it a try. If you don't like it you can return it. No harm no foul.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:28 AM   #356
sphark
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post
Cool product but the price will kill it.
I don't know... I ordered the kit online but wanted to check for an extra bulb at the San Jose Apple store yesterday. They were shown as "in stock." I got there and they were completely sold out of kits and bulbs, and the guy who helped me said they're sold out all over the Bay Area.
sphark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:12 AM   #357
Raegor
macrumors member

So you can group 4 bulbs in a fan and control them at once? Also, how do they work with lamps going to manual mode? Like can you use the lamp twist switch to manually turn the bulb back on/off? If you turn off your network (inet goes down) do the lights turn off? Stay on? Go from color to white? Thanks.
Raegor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:27 AM   #358
sphark
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raegor View Post
So you can group 4 bulbs in a fan and control them at once? Also, how do they work with lamps going to manual mode? Like can you use the lamp twist switch to manually turn the bulb back on/off? If you turn off your network (inet goes down) do the lights turn off? Stay on? Go from color to white? Thanks.
Didn't get mine yet but from what I've read:
- Yes
- Cutting the power at the switch (or power failure), they turn back on to a warm white. I think I read 3200k.
- Not sure about network outage. My guess is they stay the current color or go to the 3200k. Going off would be a pretty bad design flaw.
sphark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:13 PM   #359
gui888
macrumors newbie

Sold Out?

Wow, already a 1 to 2 month shipping estimate! Glad I ordered yesterday.
gui888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:31 PM   #360
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raegor View Post
Network outage will not affect the lights. The lights will stay constant unless changed via the app, manually turning them on/off or a power outage.

Any loss of power either by manual means or nature, the lamp defaults back to a warm white color for safety reasons.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:11 PM   #361
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits99 View Post
Does anyone know when these will be available in the UK?
They're available right now. In the UK, you'll need Edison screw to bayonet socket adapters. I got some from my local hardware shop for 2.99 each.
cal6n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:43 PM   #362
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
LIFX actually does have a controller. One of the lightbulbs is designated as a Master which connects to your network and the rest connect to that one light bulb. I think it's a more elegant and simple solution for the end user.
Yes, but seems like a more complicated system as well - with the election process, and need for all lightbulbs to contain the Master smarts.

I just hope in the future these systems are interoperable... perhaps we need a lighting standard like we have WiFi.
coolspot18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:12 PM   #363
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Yes, but seems like a more complicated system as well - with the election process, and need for all lightbulbs to contain the Master smarts.

I just hope in the future these systems are interoperable... perhaps we need a lighting standard like we have WiFi.
I agree, I wouldn't count on using these lightbulbs for more than 6 or 7 years. Once these start to become common place, a standard will emerge, making these pioneers obsolete. For under $200, that's still a pretty good return on investment.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:28 PM   #364
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
I agree, I wouldn't count on using these lightbulbs for more than 6 or 7 years. Once these start to become common place, a standard will emerge, making these pioneers obsolete. For under $200, that's still a pretty good return on investment.
Not only that - if smart light bulbs become the future, we really need to rethink household electrical too - like do we really need room switches anymore or switches on the light themselves. Because right now, if you turn off the switch in the room (or fixture) your smart light bulbs become extremely dumb and don't work at all! Ha Ha

It would be good if these bulbs supported NFC or something similar to perform occupancy detection.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:23 AM   #365
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Quote:
<snip>

Because right now, if you turn off the switch in the room (or fixture) your smart light bulbs become extremely dumb and don't work at all! Ha Ha

... </snip>
Er, no. They become dumb but they still work like any other dumb bulb. They default to a medium-warmth at a similar brightness to a 60W incandescent bulb.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:25 PM   #366
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal6n View Post
Er, no. They become dumb but they still work like any other dumb bulb. They default to a medium-warmth at a similar brightness to a 60W incandescent bulb.
If you turn off the light switch, they won't receive any signal for control. My point was that for smart bulbs to be truly integrated, our wiring, fixtures, etc need to be redesigned to accommodate an always on bulb.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:32 PM   #367
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Quote:
If you turn off the light switch, they won't receive any signal for control. My point was that for smart bulbs to be truly integrated, our wiring, fixtures, etc need to be redesigned to accommodate an always on bulb.
I suspect that the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers would beg to differ on safety grounds alone...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:34 PM   #368
kornberg
macrumors member

Nice but ill wait until swbox has them lol....
kornberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:08 PM   #369
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
No. These are not instant on there is a delay.
Nope they are instant on. I bought some. suppose it's down to your wifi connection.
prowlmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:17 PM   #370
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Just a heads up - the only way to remove a bulb from the apps is to reset the bridge back to factory and find all the bulbs again. How do I know this? I received a cracked bulb (single) and didn't realize it at the time. I put it in use and noticed a few days later it looked weird. Went over and saw it was cracked. Checked it's box, sure enough, small pieces of glass and the top flap had been scraped/worn from the cracked glass.

Could not remove the bulb - swipe to delete or anything. Called Philips. The CS rep gave me the "reset bridge" instructions.

I tweeted to @tweethue that they need to have a better way to remove bulbs. In theory you wouldn't need to unless one was damaged, not working or the like. The odds of that are pretty slim but again, still would be nice.

I had that bulb replaced today at the Apple store. Still love the system
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:19 PM   #371
gcrasher
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
Called Philips. The CS rep gave me the "reset bridge" instructions.
So how do you reset the bridge?

Does anyone understand why you wouldn't be able to use bulbs from multiple starter packs on the same hub? I can't get this to work. Shouldn't single pack and starter pack bulbs be the same? They are marked identically.
gcrasher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:28 PM   #372
kas23
macrumors 603

I never knew light bulbs would become so complicated.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:58 PM   #373
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrasher View Post
So how do you reset the bridge?

Does anyone understand why you wouldn't be able to use bulbs from multiple starter packs on the same hub? I can't get this to work. Shouldn't single pack and starter pack bulbs be the same? They are marked identically.
You can do exactly what you're trying to do. The Apple store did not have the single bulbs in stock so they gave me one from a starter pack. Works fine. Just search for new bulbs.

Reset the bridge - flip it over, there is a recessed white button you have to press with a pencil or pen tip. Press, hold, release. Start the app, find the bridge, connect back and you're good too go!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:14 PM   #374
gcrasher
macrumors newbie

Still not finding them. Wonder if the bulbs need to be unpaired somehow.

You got this to work?
gcrasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:16 PM   #375
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui888 View Post
Wow, already a 1 to 2 month shipping estimate! Glad I ordered yesterday.
Wow. In stock today at my local Apple store.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion