Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:07 PM   #1
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Yet Another Reason to Vote Obama

We all know Romney would have just ignored the letter.

Quote:
Ten-year-old Sophia Bailey Klugh recently wrote a letter to President Obama thanking him for supporting marriage equality, because she knows first-hand how much her two dads love each other. But she also told the President that her friends at school think it’s “gross and weird” and asked him, “If you were me and you had two dads that love each other and kids at school teased you about it, what would you do?”
Well, this past week, Obama replied to Sophia and addressed her question:
In America, no two families look the same. We celebrate this diversity. And we recognize that whether you have two dads or one mom what matters above all is the love we show one another. You are very fortunate to have two parents who care deeply for you. They are lucky to have such an exceptional daughter in you.
Our differences unite us. You and I are blessed to live in a country where we are born equal no matter what we look like on the outside, where we grow up, or who our parents are. A good rule is to treat others the way you hope they will treat you. Remind your friends at school about this rule if they say something that hurts your feelings.
Obama’s letter is a simple reminder of the differences between him and Mitt Romney. Rather than embrace all families after Massachusetts granted the freedom to marry, Romney was oblivious to their existence and prevented same-sex couples from receiving appropriate birth certificates for their children. He opposes marriage equality and would prevent couples like Sophia’s dad from getting married, depriving her of the proper family security she deserves.

Link

Last edited by rdowns; Nov 5, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
rdowns is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Linky not workie.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:25 PM   #3
rdowns
Thread Starter
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Linky not workie.
Fixed.

Last edited by dejo; Nov 7, 2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
rdowns is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Moyank24
macrumors 68040
 
Moyank24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: in a New York State of mind
It breaks my heart that a 10 year old has to ask such questions, but what an absolutely touching (and spot on) response from President Obama.
Moyank24 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
It breaks my heart that a 10 year old has to ask such questions, but what an absolutely touching (and spot on) response from President Obama.
His reply is in accordance with the teachings of Jesus Christ I might add.

just sayin'

Peace is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:57 PM   #6
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
This, my friends, is exactly what a President should do.

History will look back on President Obama in 50-100 years and put him in the same category as JFK, FDR, Lincoln, and some of the other great Presidents we have had.


In America, no two families look the same. We celebrate this diversity. And we recognize that whether you have two dads or one mom what matters above all is the love we show one another. You are very fortunate to have two parents who care deeply for you. They are lucky to have such an exceptional daughter in you.

Our differences unite us. You and I are blessed to live in a country where we are born equal no matter what we look like on the outside, where we grow up, or who our parents are. A good rule is to treat others the way you hope they will treat you. Remind your friends at school about this rule if they say something that hurts your feelings.


damn ****ing right.
zioxide is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020
 
Thomas Veil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Reality
Great letter from Obama.

As if I needed another reason to vote for him.
Thomas Veil is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Well done OP.

Lovely thread, a terrific kid whose parents should indeed feel proud of her, and what a wonderful, heartfelt and utterly charming response from President Barack Obama.
Scepticalscribe is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:08 PM   #9
iJohnHenry
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On tenterhooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
His reply is in accordance with the teachings of Jesus Christ I might add.

just sayin'

Does he get a writing credit for the Golden Rule??
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:11 PM   #10
dime21
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Yet Another Reason to Vote Obama
Here's yet another reason not to:

http://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2012/11...y-mitt-romney/

The Divider in Chief wants his mindless followers to "vote their revenge"?? What kind of vile and disgusting thing is that to say? When 'Bama goes off script, his true colors really shine through. Vote your revenge?? Really? What a sicko.
__________________
One Big Ass Mistake America.
dime21 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:16 PM   #11
184550
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
Here's yet another reason not to:

http://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2012/11...y-mitt-romney/

The Divider in Chief wants his mindless followers to "vote their revenge"?? What kind of vile and disgusting thing is that to say? When 'Bama goes off script, his true colors really shine through. Vote your revenge?? Really? What a sicko.
Sigh. Another one of those ads that just falls apart when you actually put the statement in context.
184550 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:23 PM   #12
Moyank24
macrumors 68040
 
Moyank24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: in a New York State of mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
Here's yet another reason not to:

http://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2012/11...y-mitt-romney/

The Divider in Chief wants his mindless followers to "vote their revenge"?? What kind of vile and disgusting thing is that to say? When 'Bama goes off script, his true colors really shine through. Vote your revenge?? Really? What a sicko.
Pot. Meet. Kettle.

Hopefully you guys are loading up on the canned goods for your bunkers because tomorrow will not be kind to you.

And, no comment on the OP? How do you believe Romney would have responded to that child? Knowing, of course, that he believes as the bullies do.
Moyank24 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:28 PM   #13
dscuber9000
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
Here's yet another reason not to:

http://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2012/11...y-mitt-romney/

The Divider in Chief wants his mindless followers to "vote their revenge"?? What kind of vile and disgusting thing is that to say? When 'Bama goes off script, his true colors really shine through. Vote your revenge?? Really? What a sicko.
Anyone else completely blown away by the right's absolute inability to pick their best battles?
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" (Mid-2009) 2.26GHz | 320GB, 7200RPM | 4GB RAM
16GB iPhone 4S
dscuber9000 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:47 AM   #14
hulugu
macrumors 68000
 
hulugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: the faraway towns
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
Sigh. Another one of those ads that just falls apart when you actually put the statement in context.
Con...tex..t?

Also, love the sourcing from dime21, because who can you trust if you can't trust Nice Deb?
__________________
I look like a soldier; I feel like a thief
hulugu is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:01 AM   #15
bradl
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscuber9000 View Post
Anyone else completely blown away by the right's absolute inability to pick their best battles?
common sense: n. A trait most on the right seem to have lost between 2002 and now.

BL.
bradl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:42 AM   #16
Sydde
macrumors 68000
 
Sydde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
... The Divider in Chief ...
This is a thing that was kind of bothering me. In '06-07, there was some squabbling and such, but the Democrats were not digging in against Bush. I guess because Bush was such a scion of bipartisanship. Obama comes in and almost every Republican is braced against him from about day one. Who on the Republican side even made the merest olive-branch effort? So, ipso facto, Obama is a divider. Could not possibly have anything to do with the Republicans.
__________________
You got to be a spirit. You can't be no ghost.
Sydde is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:18 AM   #17
chaosbunny
macrumors 68000
 
chaosbunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: down to earth, far away from any clouds
Sure, nice reply from the pr department.

Unfortunately politics wise there is not much difference between Rombama and Obamney. Wallstreet marionette #1 vs. Wallstreet marionette #2. It's just a political theatre image thing. Both will not give people more freedom or change anything for the better.

People who are still treating Obama as the second coming of Christ seriously need to open their eyes.
__________________
>> Mac Pro 5,1 | 6x3.46ghz | GTX670 | 24gb | 240gb ssd | 6tb hds | usb3 | Dell U2711 + Wacom Cintiq 13" HD <<
chaosbunny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:16 AM   #18
rdowns
Thread Starter
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
Here's yet another reason not to:

http://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2012/11...y-mitt-romney/

The Divider in Chief wants his mindless followers to "vote their revenge"?? What kind of vile and disgusting thing is that to say? When 'Bama goes off script, his true colors really shine through. Vote your revenge?? Really? What a sicko.

That's nice. Don't worry, Obamacare will cover your allergy to facts.
rdowns is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:44 AM   #19
iJohnHenry
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On tenterhooks
MR needs a hack, to stop Republicans from UP'ing their own posts.
iJohnHenry is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:44 AM   #20
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Obama will win, cause hate is getting old and tired in America.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:29 PM   #21
dime21
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
Obama will win, cause hate is getting old and tired in America.
Really? Hate is getting tired? I would never have guessed that, from all the Christophobic comments and threads in this forum, the nasty trolling responses to any comment critical of Obama or his failed policies, and the disdain towards any financially successful individuals. Romney, for example. Oh look, Romney's worth $100M, he's a bad man for it! He must have stolen it like a criminal! Funny, since Romney released his tax returns and everything is clean and kosher 100%, but Obama has sealed his, along with his college records, and everything else he can hide from the public. Hate is alive and well my friend, have a peek at a mirror to see how it looks.
__________________
One Big Ass Mistake America.
dime21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:33 PM   #22
AhmedFaisal
Guest
 
<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
  5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:38 PM   #23
dime21
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
Sigh. Another one of those ads that just falls apart when you actually put the statement in context.
The huffington post? Really? Try finding a credible news source first, not internet hipster drivel.

And isn't it funny how a highly poisonous quote from Obama, and immediately you say Woah, stop the presses, hang on a moment, don't jump to any conclusions, we have to examine the context first. And then you go about repeating Romney's 47% sound bite without ever having listened to the full thing.

That's one thing about hypocrites - they sure do make me chuckle! Keep trying though, I enjoy a good laugh.
__________________
One Big Ass Mistake America.
dime21 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:45 PM   #24
noisycats
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: This is the place
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
Hate is alive and well my friend, have a peek at a mirror to see how it looks.
Only ... only ... it's not a mirror ... but you holding an empty picture frame!!


noisycats is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:11 PM   #25
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post
Only ... only ... it's not a mirror ... but you holding an empty picture frame!!


Great comeback. Kudos !!

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama, Republicans reach deal on fiscal cliff; Senate vote expected tonight MacNut Politics, Religion, Social Issues 110 Jan 3, 2013 11:49 AM
New reason for Romney loss: Obama gifts to Minorities likemyorbs Politics, Religion, Social Issues 46 Nov 18, 2012 12:38 AM
Bloomberg Endorses Obama, Obama is Best Candidate to Tackle Climate Change 184550 Politics, Religion, Social Issues 30 Nov 2, 2012 02:49 AM
Vote!!! Hexiii iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Aug 25, 2012 08:17 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC