Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrfabio

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
London
Hi,
I hope it is the right place for this question.
I have an iPhone 4s which I can use for tethering, so my question is:
should I buy the WIFI version to save money sharing the same data contract? Is someone already had this experience? ..just to know if enabling an hotspot on 4s each time I need to use the internet connection outside a wifi lan is very uncomfortable or not.. :)

Thanks in advance
Fabio

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Hi,
I hope it is the right place for this question.
I have an iPhone 4s which I can use for tethering, so my question is:
should I buy the WIFI version to save money sharing the same data contract? Is someone already had this experience? ..just to know if enabling an hotspot on 4s each time I need to use the internet connection outside a wifi lan is very uncomfortable or not.. :)

Thanks in advance
Fabio

the only disadvantage is

-using up your data (ipad sucks up data like no other)
-killing your battery FAST - seriously, the battery is terrible on the iphone - the 5 is better than all before it but it still will suck hard if you tether. Better bring a portable battery pack.

I have an iphone 5 with 2gb plan and unlimited data on my iPad

gnosticsam

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
New Mexico
I tether my Ipad to my Iphone 4s all the time and it works pretty well. Don't find it a pain at all. I have 5 gb of data for my phone and between it and the ipad I use it up pretty much every month. As far as the battery issue the iphone does need to be charged if you use it to tether lots.:)

mrfabio

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
London
Thanks guys! I bought a very cheap refurbished iPad 2 16 GB Wifi and I confirm what you said! tethering works very well but very shocked from the terrible battery behavior..how is it possible that this feature keep so many energy??!! I calculated more and less 50 % of my 4s battery for one hour of tethering (maybe worse!)..
But if I consider I have wifi at work, at home, in hotels..and considering that abroad, because of expensive data roaming, I cannot use 3g/4g, I think that for the few times I need to check newspapers or emails or maps, I can definitively tether..
Now that I connected all points, i am thinking to go to an apple store and exchange this new ipad (got 3 days ago) to the 4th generation 64GB only wifi..hope this will be possible!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.