Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:14 PM   #1
rmcguinness9894
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Mid 2012 13" pro vs mid 2012 15" pro

Where do you guys stand on this, mostly pertaining to college students? I'm a freshman in college and i have a 15" pro which I purchased over the summer when the update came out along with the 15" retina model. I'm just curious as to what people think because i've noticed that almost every student has a 13" pro while few have a 15".

Last edited by rmcguinness9894; Nov 1, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
rmcguinness9894 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:21 PM   #2
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a
 
A Hebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
If you do not mind the weight, the 15 is considerably better. If you do mind the weight, the air is powerful enough to replace the 13 pro. Overall, the 15 is the best notebook Apple provides if you don't care about portability.

Personally, I can't stand a 13 in screen running most things. I think most people have the 13 in because they can get it fairly cheap and they think "pro" = powerful.
A Hebrew is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Braniff747SP
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
My 13" is fine, and frankly, I got it because of cost over the 15". However, 15" is normally better--the bigger screen is nice. Both computers are good, though.
__________________
Mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro with Studio Display, Late 2008 13'' Black MacBook, 1st generation iPad, iPhone 4S.
Braniff747SP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:34 PM   #4
rmcguinness9894
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
If you do not mind the weight, the 15 is considerably better. If you do mind the weight, the air is powerful enough to replace the 13 pro. Overall, the 15 is the best notebook Apple provides if you don't care about portability.

Personally, I can't stand a 13 in screen running most things. I think most people have the 13 in because they can get it fairly cheap and they think "pro" = powerful.
I agree completely. People get so caught up in the fact that the 13" os smaller but honestly, I think its worth getting the 15" because of the difference in specs relative to the difference in price. It just seems more worth it to me.
rmcguinness9894 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:11 PM   #5
derbothaus
macrumors 601
 
derbothaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Dual core vs. Quad core. 4 Threads vs. 8. Intel HD 4000 at 512MB or 1024MB Nvidia GT 650m. BIG BIG differences. The screen size is the last to consider.
__________________
Mac Pro W3680, GTX 680, 12GB DDR3, SSD; MBP, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, SSD; Eizo fs2333
derbothaus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:21 PM   #6
NewishMacGuy
macrumors 6502a
 
NewishMacGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
We (the wife and I) own one of each of the 2011 models.

She uses the 13" because its more portable and its plenty powerful enough to do everything that she needs, which amounts to web surfing, word processing, light spreadsheet tasks, playing music and videos, light photo and video editing, and general family business management. The MBA would have been plenty powerful enough for her too, and more portable, but she needed a big hard drive and wanted to have everything on board.

Even though I actually port the 15" much more than she does the 13", I was willing to sacrifice the portability (and add half a pound of weight over my old Macbook 13") to get more screen real estate and more power to run decently large financial models in a VM and game a bit. To claw back some of the portability I'll upgrade to the rMBP-15 as soon as it gets 802.11ac and reasonable flash storage pricing for 320GB or 512GB, which is all I'll need.

The rMBP-13 makes no sense for either of us (nor anyone else IMHO) as currently configured.
__________________
2010 i3 iMac-21.5 | 2011 uMBP-15 | 2011 uMBP-13 | iBookG4-12 | 2x ATV 1G | 2x iPhone 1G | 2x iPhone 3GS | 2x iPhone 4S | iPhone 5s | 2x iPod 5.5G | iPod Photo | iPod 2G | 2x iPad 3
NewishMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:41 PM   #7
fleawannabe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Personally I believe the 13" is more than powerful enough for the average users needs and I could not justify the price increase for the 15" but then again I do not need a discrete GPU or quad core power. The most intensive program I use is Logic.

As far as screen size goes I would just buy an external screen for my 13".
fleawannabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:35 PM   #8
rmcguinness9894
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleawannabe View Post
Personally I believe the 13" is more than powerful enough for the average users needs and I could not justify the price increase for the 15" but then again I do not need a discrete GPU or quad core power. The most intensive program I use is Logic.

As far as screen size goes I would just buy an external screen for my 13".
Why would you buy an external screen and spend that extra money when you could just spend that extra few hundred dollars getting a screen that's 2 inches bigger along with a huge improvement in specs and performance? That doesn't make any sense to me.
rmcguinness9894 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:00 PM   #9
Naimfan
macrumors 68030
 
Naimfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
I think the 13" MBP is the most perfect form factor ever - just the right admixture of size and weight and performance. That said, I have a 15" MBP for the reasons derbothaus listed, although I could live happily with a 13" MBP and an external display.
__________________
"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving."
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Naimfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:27 PM   #10
sectime
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcguinness9894 View Post
Why would you buy an external screen and spend that extra money when you could just spend that extra few hundred dollars getting a screen that's 2 inches bigger along with a huge improvement in specs and performance? That doesn't make any sense to me.
When they make a 27 inch laptop then your comment makes sense. However I would have to find a new carrying bag.
sectime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:50 PM   #11
AppleBoyFreak
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcguinness9894 View Post
Where do you guys stand on this, mostly pertaining to college students? I'm a freshman in college and i have a 15" pro which I purchased over the summer when the update came out along with the 15" retina model. I'm just curious as to what people think because i've noticed that almost every student has a 13" pro while few have a 15".
You have to remember that the 15" is $600 more. Most have the 13" not for portability but because it is the cheapest "pro" they can get. Personally I find the 15" is large but it isn't heavy at all so if you can afford it I don't see why you wouldn't go for the 15"
__________________
Base 2012 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 1st Generation, Gold iPhone 5S, Black iPhone 5, Black iPhone 4S, Black iPhone 4, Black iPhone 3GS, and Apple TV.
AppleBoyFreak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Binomio
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Each model has its own uses, the 13 is for web browsing, email and simple stuff.
The 15' is more for graphic apps, multimedia. I had a late 11 13' stock and it could barely handle flash videos on youtube or netflix.
Binomio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:08 PM   #13
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleawannabe View Post
Personally I believe the 13" is more than powerful enough for the average users needs and I could not justify the price increase for the 15" but then again I do not need a discrete GPU or quad core power. The most intensive program I use is Logic.

As far as screen size goes I would just buy an external screen for my 13".
That only makes sense if you need a notebook for portability reasons and a portion of what you do requires something larger than 15". You can't buy a 24" or 27" notebook. The 15" isn't even heavy or difficult to transport. I guess you could save some money that way, but a nice external display still costs a few hundred, and it still requires dedicated space. These are things that must be considered prior to purchase.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:46 PM   #14
fleawannabe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcguinness9894 View Post
Why would you buy an external screen and spend that extra money when you could just spend that extra few hundred dollars getting a screen that's 2 inches bigger along with a huge improvement in specs and performance? That doesn't make any sense to me.

To upgrade to the 15" is 600 dollars more and I would not benefit from the upgraded specs. I do not need that much power. Yes the screen size is nice but for a little over 200 dollars I was able to buy a 24" monitor that works great for me and still have better portability than the 15". So I still have a fast machine that does everything I need and I also have a 24" monitor and saved almost 400 dollars. How does that not make any sense to you?
fleawannabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:43 PM   #15
NewishMacGuy
macrumors 6502a
 
NewishMacGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binomio View Post
Each model has its own uses, the 13 is for web browsing, email and simple stuff.
The 15' is more for graphic apps, multimedia. I had a late 11 13' stock and it could barely handle flash videos on youtube or netflix.
Then you had a defective one. Ours does fine with both.
__________________
2010 i3 iMac-21.5 | 2011 uMBP-15 | 2011 uMBP-13 | iBookG4-12 | 2x ATV 1G | 2x iPhone 1G | 2x iPhone 3GS | 2x iPhone 4S | iPhone 5s | 2x iPod 5.5G | iPod Photo | iPod 2G | 2x iPad 3
NewishMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:08 AM   #16
rmcguinness9894
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleawannabe View Post
To upgrade to the 15" is 600 dollars more and I would not benefit from the upgraded specs. I do not need that much power. Yes the screen size is nice but for a little over 200 dollars I was able to buy a 24" monitor that works great for me and still have better portability than the 15". So I still have a fast machine that does everything I need and I also have a 24" monitor and saved almost 400 dollars. How does that not make any sense to you?
Because you spent the extra money for a display for a computer that isn't even powerful. And, if you got a 24" display for $200 then you got yourself a pretty crappy display. Not to mention that when i started the thread, I said that this was supposed to be containing to a person in college using it. I don't know many people in college that have external displays for their laptops just sitting in their dorm room do you?
rmcguinness9894 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:09 PM   #17
fleawannabe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcguinness9894 View Post
Because you spent the extra money for a display for a computer that isn't even powerful. And, if you got a 24" display for $200 then you got yourself a pretty crappy display. Not to mention that when i started the thread, I said that this was supposed to be containing to a person in college using it. I don't know many people in college that have external displays for their laptops just sitting in their dorm room do you?
I do.
fleawannabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:21 PM   #18
Mac-Tech
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
I would go for the 15" more space on the screen to see more and do more!
Mac-Tech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:33 PM   #19
MaxPower72
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago, Illinois, Crooks County
I had the 13' i7 2.9 Ghz. and sold it and got the 15" i7 2.7 Ghz.
Both computers are great. The 13" It's still capable of delivering a very good performance I upgrade it myself with a SSD and 16 GB. of RAM. And it's versatile and up to the task for everyday use.

I now have the 15" with 1 Tb SSD Raid 0 and 16 Gb of RAM and all I can say is that on heavy tasks such as video editing and serious graphic design the quad-core CPU + dedicated GPU really make a difference.
__________________
Macbook Pro 15.4" i7 Quad. 2.7 Ghz. 16 Gb RAM, SSD Samsung 830 1 Tb Raid 0
Macbook Pro 13.3" Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz. 8 GB RAM, 250 Gb HDD
iPod Touch 4 gen 64 GB iPhone 4S 16 GB
My iWife
MaxPower72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:51 PM   #20
rmcguinness9894
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleawannabe View Post
I do.
You just lost all credibility in your argument
rmcguinness9894 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:01 AM   #21
RSL
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
If money's not an issue I would definitely get the 15.

If money is an issue but storage is not then I would get the 13 air over the 13 pro (check the refurb). They are basically the same but the 13 air is lighter and I suspect faster for day to day use thanks to the SSD. (Lion with no SSD is no walk in the park in my experience.)

If both money and storage are issues then get the 13 pro.
RSL is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15" IndoX Buying Tips and Advice 3 Aug 3, 2013 05:44 AM
OS X: F1 2012 on MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 davyvfr Mac and PC Games 4 Feb 21, 2013 09:06 AM
Torn between the New 13" Macbook Pro or the New 13" Air (Mid 2012 models) j.g.h.jr. MacBook Pro 1 Jun 20, 2012 10:40 AM
Mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro jmgaul MacBook Pro 3 Jun 13, 2012 02:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps