Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
I guess so. The intent behind Windows 8 is a great idea, its just been implemented poorly. Ive on the other hand, could do this the 'Apple' way :)
I would like to see the result of that experiment.

I'm fairly happy with Windows 8 and RT, haven't used a Win8 phone yet but all of ones gadgets running basically the same OS has it's advantages ... even if the OS isn't perfect.

localhost8080

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
I would like to see the result of that experiment.

I'm fairly happy with Windows 8 and RT, haven't used a Win8 phone yet but all of ones gadgets running basically the same OS has it's advantages ... even if the OS isn't perfect.

I like the idea of the surface pro.
it should tie in with a win 8 pro laptop / desktop and a win 8 phone and be a very good experience.

i would probably run ubuntu on the intel chip microsoft surface though :|

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
No, of course not. But the "thinness" require compromised thermal solutions. And the mobile CPU/GPU produce less heat and require smaller cooling support which gives a good baseline.

Apple never want to "just" beat in a benchmark; they want to win the heart of the user by providing a good design and smooth running system.
And mostly they achieve that.

That's where they lost me. The whole obsession with thinness... The Mac Pro is the machine I lust after; thinness be damned, gimme power. Alas I can't afford one, not being one a one percenter.

SaguaroJoe

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Reinforces Jobs decision to appoint Cook

This series of moves underscores Steve Jobs decision to put Cook in the number one spot. Cook fully understands the strengths and weaknesses of Apple. Clearly putting Jony Ives in charge of all things creative does exactly what Jobs wanted. Cook's brilliance shines.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
i still feel Apple without SJ has lost the crazy drive and inspiration that Apple Needs,he might have been difficult at times and downright contrary but look where they got to, nothing Apple has done since SJ,s passing has inspired me ( actually its worse than that the products i feel are not hitting the mark and are always short of greatness always holding back, maybe the reserve is running dry) and it makes me sad and worried for the future.
Maybe with Ives in this role we might see some Apple greatness once again but i think they need to pull their finger out and get on with it the competition will only get tougher.

disney company is doing just fine w/o walt.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
:rolleyes:

Sorry to be 'that guy' but...

Jony Ives

Jony Ives

Are you all serious right now?!

Ive. The man is called Ive. The name is even in the title of the story this time!

Ive.

There is no 's' unless you're talking more than one of him. And perhaps one day they shall clone him, or employ someone with the same surname in a prominent public position. Until that day though, it's Ive, not 'Ives'.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012

Ive. The man is called Ive. The name is even in the title of the story this time!

Ive.

There is no 's' unless you're talking more than one of him. And perhaps one day they shall clone him, or employ someone with the same surname in a prominent public position. Until that day though, it's Ive, not 'Ives'.

Best post of the day - by far! :D

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona

Ive.

If Steve Jobs were alive, those posts never would have happened! :eek:

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
Now that Mini-Steve is being shown the door, this is the best thing that could happen at Apple. Hopefully, Ive has his own innate demands for perfection, and it wasn't simply something that Steve was beating in to him.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This is highly encouraging.

Jony Ive will do what Steve did, better, faster, with more style and less drama.

I'd also venture a guess he's not filled with the same burning desire to destroy people and companies. He's too skilled, too experienced, and too well balanced.

Apple is now in a very good position.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
This series of moves underscores Steve Jobs decision to put Cook in the number one spot. Cook fully understands the strengths and weaknesses of Apple. Clearly putting Jony Ives in charge of all things creative does exactly what Jobs wanted. Cook's brilliance shines.

I think having Jony at a more central role was already in the planning when Steve Jobs was around. I think the issue was with Jony's long term commitment. To have so much responsibilities is a big ask. They have definitely drawn some special deal to have Jony agree to it, perhaps with Forstall's oust included.

Forstall's departure was only a matter of time.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
This is highly encouraging.

Jony Ive will do what Steve did, better, faster, with more style and less drama.

I'd also venture a guess he's not filled with the same burning desire to destroy people and companies. He's too skilled, too experienced, and too well balanced.

Apple is now in a very good position.

What else does your crystal ball show you?

Sorry, I probably sound like an arse, but nobody knows how Ives (I mean Ive ;)) will do.

Time will tell.

iWe

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Excellent move!
respect-037.gif

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Cook, Ive and Schiller are now the dream team!!! Great move Cook! Can't wait to see what comes from apple in the next 10 years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.