Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:35 PM   #1
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

Mac Pro RAM failed Power On Self-Test - Memory

Hi,

My Mac Pro has failed the Power On Self-Test. The 'failure type' is memory, and it says it's DIMM 1/DIMM Riser B and DIMM 3/DIMM Riser B. From time to time it's been restarting out of no where, and it was in little a restart loop a few minutes ago.

Is this likely just the RAM failing? I'm going to just remove the RAM from those slots in a minute. That would leave me with two 4GB modules in Riser B, and four 2GB modules in Riser A.

EDIT: It's the 2008 model.

Last edited by MythicFrost; Nov 5, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
MythicFrost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:18 AM   #2
DanielCoffey
macrumors 65816

One thing to check while you are in there is dust.

Get the tray slid out, remove all the ram (keep them in the same order) and vacuum or air-can the board. If you have a soft eraser, gently stroke down the gold contacts of the ram to remove dust and oxidation and brush off any eraser crumbs (use a tissue or small brush, not fingers - grease and static, remember). Put the memory back into the original slots and see if that has resolved the issue.

If it still fails, swap the pairs over and see if the fault moves with the ram or stays with the slot.

If it is the ram, check if you have branded ram with a lifetime warranty and exercise it.
DanielCoffey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:58 PM   #3
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
One thing to check while you are in there is dust.

Get the tray slid out, remove all the ram (keep them in the same order) and vacuum or air-can the board. If you have a soft eraser, gently stroke down the gold contacts of the ram to remove dust and oxidation and brush off any eraser crumbs (use a tissue or small brush, not fingers - grease and static, remember). Put the memory back into the original slots and see if that has resolved the issue.

If it still fails, swap the pairs over and see if the fault moves with the ram or stays with the slot.

If it is the ram, check if you have branded ram with a lifetime warranty and exercise it.
All right, thanks for that. Hopefully it'll just be dust.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:58 AM   #4
gpzjock
macrumors 6502a

I have had 2 RAM modules out of 8 fail in 4 years, both times on the same slot B2. Both modules were replaced for the price of postage by Memory America. MP 3,1 memory runs very hot, 70-80 degrees C is normal in an ambient temp of about 24-26. If you let the air flow clog up with dust the increased temps make failure more likely. I clean my case out every year with a compressed air line. After each annual clean the average RAM module temp drops ~10 degrees. I use the freeware version of Temperature Monitor to keep an eye on it.

Last edited by gpzjock; Nov 7, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
gpzjock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:49 PM   #5
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

I've bought a can of compressed air and I'm planning to clean it out today. Thanks for your reply.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro