Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Hpye
macrumors 6502

Thumbs up iPad Mini has higher ppi than Microsoft surface

Microsoft surface has only 148 ppi, but ipad mini has 163 ppi, why are ppl complaining
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	375288  

Last edited by Hpye; Nov 5, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Hpye is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

I saw this today. Man, surface owners must be screaming in agony as they attempt to read text off that thing according to how some people around here carry on about the ipad mini's ppi.
Spungoflex is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:31 PM   #3
richy d
macrumors member

But the screen is an inch bigger
richy d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Hpye
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy d View Post
But the screen is an inch bigger
Still very low for a flagship device, yet no one complain but when it comes to apple everyone is so sensitive, I realize it is not easy to be #1
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:55 PM   #5
rkuo
macrumors regular

The Surface also has subpixel rendering, which Apple has oddly elected not to implement in iOS. It helps a lot with text rendering at lower PPI.
rkuo is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:55 PM   #6
saving107
macrumors 603

Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:24 PM   #7
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpye View Post
Microsoft surface has only 148 ppi, but ipad mini has 163 ppi, why are ppl complaining
And Nexus 7 has more ppi than the iPad mini...
irDigital0l is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:33 PM   #8
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

But Surface has the smart cover keyboard. Mini, you have to type on the glass of the already smaller screen.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:39 PM   #9
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Because its easy.
gmanist1000 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Hpye
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
But Surface has the smart cover keyboard. Mini, you have to type on the glass of the already smaller screen.
Smart Cover keyboard does not justify any thing, you have to pay extra 100 to get that anyway. But if you don't want to type on the small screen you can buy wireless keyboard on ipad mini. And also ppl want small tablet to carry around and read books why would you wanna carry around your keyboard. There are 7" tablet in the market why aren't ppl complaining about keyboard thing but when it comes to mini ppl complained

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
And Nexus 7 has more ppi than the iPad mini...
But the color is washed out, but I am not talking about nexus 7. if you want to include nexus 7 in this conversation , then nexus 7 has more ppi than Microsoft surface
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:38 PM   #11
Poochi
macrumors 6502

I tried out the smartcover surface keyboard.. for about 15 min.

The flatter one that feels like the Apple Smartcover... it's a pain to use. I can't type perfectly and it's quite a steep learning curve - steeper than typing on the iPad glass for some reason.

The physical keyboard isn't that bad. But it's too pricy for what it does and adds too much bulk. The Surface + physical keyboard cover cost almost as much as a Macbook Air 11" and THICKER!!!

WTF is MSFT thinking...
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:40 PM   #12
bidwalj
macrumors 6502a

I seen the surface screen and it's crap too compared to the retina iPads. No excuse for them either.
bidwalj is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:46 PM   #13
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungoflex View Post
I saw this today. Man, surface owners must be screaming in agony as they attempt to read text off that thing according to how some people around here carry on about the ipad mini's ppi.
It could be higher, but it's not lower than some of the Mac notebooks. It's important to keep this in perspective. "Screaming in agony" is a gross exaggeration even taken in a figurative context. I would look at one prior to making such a determination. I don't mean side by side. I mean look at it and see if text is actually difficult to discern. That's a different thing than whether it's better on the ipad (which it probably is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkuo View Post
The Surface also has subpixel rendering, which Apple has oddly elected not to implement in iOS. It helps a lot with text rendering at lower PPI.
As in it's tessellated to a finer level than it's eventually rasterized?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:52 PM   #14
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

With such a low quality display the Surface feels quite expensive starting at $500.
Dolorian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:07 PM   #15
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

[QUOTE=Hpye;16237433]Smart Cover keyboard does not justify any thing, you have to pay extra 100 to get that anyway. But if you don't want to type on the small screen you can buy wireless keyboard on ipad mini. And also ppl want small tablet to carry around and read books why would you wanna carry around your keyboard. There are 7" tablet in the market why aren't ppl complaining about keyboard thing but when it comes to mini ppl complained[COLOR="#808080"]

Wireless keyboard for Ipad is not cheap either, no? And smartcover keyboard is keyboard planted in the cover. Its really cool and dont add bulk. Still Surface and Mini is not in same market. Surface battles the Ipad.

Mini is just toy for kids.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:13 PM   #16
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I remember the same thing being said about the iPad: it's just a toy, not fit for creating content but only to consume it, etc.

Time told differently and time will tell when it comes to the iPad mini...
Dolorian is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:42 PM   #17
palpatine
macrumors 68040

No one is complaining because no one has it, and they knew months ago that it would come out with this horrible display. We are complaining about the iPad Mini, because Apple is using better technology in its other devices, so could have done better, but didn't.

The Surface is exciting, but after seeing videos of usage, I am not sure if it is a prime-time device yet.
palpatine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:06 PM   #18
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Still very low for a flagship device, yet no one complain but when it comes to apple everyone is so sensitive, I realize it is not easy to be #1
People have complained. You are in an Apple forum so Mini complains are more commonplace.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:15 AM   #19
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Wireless keyboard for Ipad is not cheap either, no? And smartcover keyboard is keyboard planted in the cover. Its really cool and dont add bulk. Still Surface and Mini is not in same market. Surface battles the Ipad.

You can get iPad keyboard cases like the one from Logitech for under $50. Or you can just get the one that acts just like the surface keyboard for $99.

And I guess you think the iPad is just a toy for kids as well...given they are capable of exactly the same thing.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:19 AM   #20
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochi View Post
I tried out the smartcover surface keyboard.. for about 15 min.

The flatter one that feels like the Apple Smartcover... it's a pain to use. I can't type perfectly and it's quite a steep learning curve - steeper than typing on the iPad glass for some reason.

The physical keyboard isn't that bad. But it's too pricy for what it does and adds too much bulk. The Surface + physical keyboard cover cost almost as much as a Macbook Air 11" and THICKER!!!

WTF is MSFT thinking...
$599 and $999 is a big difference....
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:20 AM   #21
THFourteen
macrumors 6502

the "32GB" surface also only has 16GB of free space!!
THFourteen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:21 AM   #22
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by THFourteen View Post
the "32GB" surface also only has 16GB of free space!!
b.c it has office...really they are two difference markets. The surface would be great if you are still in school and doing papers.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:29 AM   #23
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
b.c it has office...really they are two difference markets. The surface would be great if you are still in school and doing papers.
So Office uses 16GB of space?

Office 2010 requires between 700MB and 1gig of space on Windows 7.

The real reason is because RT contains a ton of legacy code - much of which is not even used. Microsoft should have subsidized some of the cost of the NAND and made the Surface only available in 64gig or larger sizes.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:32 AM   #24
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
...why are ppl complaining
I'm sure if Microsoft had Retina-class devices and then the Surface came out with a low-res screen people would complain. I personally think Apple users whine more than other users.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:43 AM   #25
NoMoreSony
macrumors member

Quote:
Sure, absolutely no reasons to complain. There is a whole bunch of devices with low-res displays:

Ipad 2 = 131 ppi
MacBook Air 11" = 135 ppi
MacBook Air 13" = 128 ppi

Apple has been catched with iPad mini in their own marketing trap - the myth about Retina. Just wait for a few months to see a new magical iPad mini with Retina display. Be sure - the very first phrase in Keynote will be about how amazing is new Retina display in comparision with old non-Retina model. It's gonna to be boring - the repetition of the same old joke again and again.
NoMoreSony is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad