Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Microsoft surface has only 148 ppi, but ipad mini has 163 ppi, why are ppl complaining

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 678
Last edited:

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
I saw this today. Man, surface owners must be screaming in agony as they attempt to read text off that thing according to how some people around here carry on about the ipad mini's ppi.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
But the screen is an inch bigger

Still very low for a flagship device, yet no one complain but when it comes to apple everyone is so sensitive:apple:, I realize it is not easy to be #1

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
The Surface also has subpixel rendering, which Apple has oddly elected not to implement in iOS. It helps a lot with text rendering at lower PPI.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
But Surface has the smart cover keyboard. Mini, you have to type on the glass of the already smaller screen.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
But Surface has the smart cover keyboard. Mini, you have to type on the glass of the already smaller screen.

Smart Cover keyboard does not justify any thing, you have to pay extra 100 to get that anyway. But if you don't want to type on the small screen you can buy wireless keyboard on ipad mini. And also ppl want small tablet to carry around and read books why would you wanna carry around your keyboard. There are 7" tablet in the market why aren't ppl complaining about keyboard thing but when it comes to mini ppl complained

----------

And Nexus 7 has more ppi than the iPad mini...

But the color is washed out, but I am not talking about nexus 7. if you want to include nexus 7 in this conversation , then nexus 7 has more ppi than Microsoft surface

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
I tried out the smartcover surface keyboard.. for about 15 min.

The flatter one that feels like the Apple Smartcover... it's a pain to use. I can't type perfectly and it's quite a steep learning curve - steeper than typing on the iPad glass for some reason.

The physical keyboard isn't that bad. But it's too pricy for what it does and adds too much bulk. The Surface + physical keyboard cover cost almost as much as a Macbook Air 11" and THICKER!!!

WTF is MSFT thinking...

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I seen the surface screen and it's crap too compared to the retina iPads. No excuse for them either.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I saw this today. Man, surface owners must be screaming in agony as they attempt to read text off that thing according to how some people around here carry on about the ipad mini's ppi.

It could be higher, but it's not lower than some of the Mac notebooks. It's important to keep this in perspective. "Screaming in agony" is a gross exaggeration even taken in a figurative context. I would look at one prior to making such a determination. I don't mean side by side. I mean look at it and see if text is actually difficult to discern. That's a different thing than whether it's better on the ipad (which it probably is).

The Surface also has subpixel rendering, which Apple has oddly elected not to implement in iOS. It helps a lot with text rendering at lower PPI.

As in it's tessellated to a finer level than it's eventually rasterized?

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
With such a low quality display the Surface feels quite expensive starting at $500.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Smart Cover keyboard does not justify any thing, you have to pay extra 100 to get that anyway. But if you don't want to type on the small screen you can buy wireless keyboard on ipad mini. And also ppl want small tablet to carry around and read books why would you wanna carry around your keyboard. There are 7" tablet in the market why aren't ppl complaining about keyboard thing but when it comes to mini ppl complained

Wireless keyboard for Ipad is not cheap either, no? And smartcover keyboard is keyboard planted in the cover. Its really cool and dont add bulk. Still Surface and Mini is not in same market. Surface battles the Ipad.

Mini is just toy for kids.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007

I remember the same thing being said about the iPad: it's just a toy, not fit for creating content but only to consume it, etc.

Time told differently and time will tell when it comes to the iPad mini...

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
No one is complaining because no one has it, and they knew months ago that it would come out with this horrible display. We are complaining about the iPad Mini, because Apple is using better technology in its other devices, so could have done better, but didn't.

The Surface is exciting, but after seeing videos of usage, I am not sure if it is a prime-time device yet.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Wireless keyboard for Ipad is not cheap either, no? And smartcover keyboard is keyboard planted in the cover. Its really cool and dont add bulk. Still Surface and Mini is not in same market. Surface battles the Ipad.

You can get iPad keyboard cases like the one from Logitech for under $50. Or you can just get the one that acts just like the surface keyboard for $99.

And I guess you think the iPad is just a toy for kids as well...given they are capable of exactly the same thing.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I tried out the smartcover surface keyboard.. for about 15 min.

The flatter one that feels like the Apple Smartcover... it's a pain to use. I can't type perfectly and it's quite a steep learning curve - steeper than typing on the iPad glass for some reason.

The physical keyboard isn't that bad. But it's too pricy for what it does and adds too much bulk. The Surface + physical keyboard cover cost almost as much as a Macbook Air 11" and THICKER!!!

WTF is MSFT thinking...

$599 and $999 is a big difference....

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
b.c it has office...really they are two difference markets. The surface would be great if you are still in school and doing papers.

So Office uses 16GB of space?

Office 2010 requires between 700MB and 1gig of space on Windows 7.

The real reason is because RT contains a ton of legacy code - much of which is not even used. Microsoft should have subsidized some of the cost of the NAND and made the Surface only available in 64gig or larger sizes.

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Microsoft surface has only 148 ppi, but ipad mini has 163 ppi, why are ppl complaining

Sure, absolutely no reasons to complain. There is a whole bunch of devices with low-res displays:

Ipad 2 = 131 ppi
MacBook Air 11" = 135 ppi
MacBook Air 13" = 128 ppi

Apple has been catched with iPad mini in their own marketing trap - the myth about Retina. Just wait for a few months to see a new magical iPad mini with Retina display. Be sure - the very first phrase in Keynote will be about how amazing is new Retina display in comparision with old non-Retina model. It's gonna to be boring - the repetition of the same old joke again and again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.