Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:06 PM   #1
wobegong

Elgato Turbo.264 for faster video converting

I posted something about this device under the thread on video conversion but it made me think I should post this as a new thread so nobody misses it as it's a useful device for those on older macs. Not sure if they are still available but guessing you can ebay them etc. Dramatic(!!) speed increase converting any type of video to H.264 (iTunes/AppleTV/iPod/iPhone etc) compatible, also because it adds a plugin for Quicktime any video software which makes use of the Quicktime framework for conversion will now show the Turbo.264 options so you can convert from within your own chosen software package as well as Elgato's own software - Speed example below, 1 hour to convert a nearly two hour DVD to AppleTV resolution .264 on a PowerPC (!) (much faster if you chose a lower res option like iPod)... :-

PM G5 DC 2.3Ghz (as per my signature)
Elgato Turbo 264 USB Encode Accelerator

Used a (unencrypted) DVD with a running time of 1hour 49 minutes.

Just dragged the DVD icon to the Elgato Turbo App. Didn't wait for it to finish but I know the estimate on this is always pretty accurate so waited for 10 minutes for it to settle down.

Source : DVD Drive (standard one)
Destination : SATA HD
Encoded to : AppleTV H.264
Estimated Completion time (total) = 1 Hour
Settled FPS = 55/60+
wobegong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:43 AM   #2
PerformaGuy
macrumors member

I have one of these also, use it on a first gen Mac Pro and I agree it really works. I found the plugin to be a bit buggy sometimes, I mainly stuck with the included app that encodes to their recommended presets.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs