Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:04 PM   #26
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
You can't just pick and choose what you want to see.......

I'm not saying that everything done in the 1700's is the right way for the 21st century, that's why we have the amendment process.
Then your quarrel is not so much with the people of today, but the people who let things being done way back when without that whole amendment process thing. And really, under today's political process could you see getting any amendments passed? We really WOULD be living like the 1700's under that scenario.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:58 PM   #27
bradl
macrumors 68020

Romney isn't winning any friends along the eastern seaboard now, especially with the comments he's made over the past year regarding budget cuts. Here's what he said regarding disaster relief:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitt Romney
"We should take all of what we're doing at the federal level and say, what are the things we're doing that we don't have to do? And those things we've got to stop doing. Because we're borrowing $1.6 trillion more this year than we're taking in. ... We cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids."
Source

When being called out on it by reporters yesterday during his canned food drive/political stop, he had nothing to say to those reporters.

I'm sure Christie, Bloomberg, Cuomo, and other mayors of the small towns between Philadelphia and NYC would love to hear what Romney has to say now. Obama is sure to slam this home not with a political rally/stump, but just by touring the disaster areas.

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:47 PM   #28
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Obama is sure to slam this home not with a political rally/stump, but just by touring the disaster areas.
Mitt to Barack, "God always liked you best!"

With apologies to The Smother's Brothers,
iJohnHenry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:52 PM   #29
NickZac
macrumors 68000

If this is not bipartisan coordination, then nothing is. It would not surprise me if this gives a significant rise to Obama and Christie's approval ratings. I am truly impressed by the response.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2050017.html
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:28 PM   #30
SporkLover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeTheSwitch View Post
Then your quarrel is not so much with the people of today, but the people who let things being done way back when without that whole amendment process thing. And really, under today's political process could you see getting any amendments passed? We really WOULD be living like the 1700's under that scenario.
No. My issue is exactly what I stated.... politicians trying to circumvent the constitutional processes. Our system of government is supposed to be a system of checks and balances within the three branches of Federal Government, and within the different levels of Government.

If the Legislative/Executive Branch wants to grow the Federal powers beyond the enumerated powers, then they should follow the amendment process.

As far as getting amendments passed...... just because amendments do not get passed doesn't represent a failure of the system. If it is voted against then the representatives of the people have spoken. We don't want it.

We certainly shouldnt be willing to accept a system that allows the Federal Government to grant themselves additional powers that infringes on the states, without the states having a say so.

Whether you are in the 18th Century or 21st Century, those principles are pretty universal and timeless.
SporkLover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:40 PM   #31
SporkLover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Romney isn't winning any friends along the eastern seaboard now, especially with the comments he's made over the past year regarding budget cuts. Here's what he said regarding disaster relief:

Originally Posted by Mitt Romney
"We should take all of what we're doing at the federal level and say, what are the things we're doing that we don't have to do? And those things we've got to stop doing. Because we're borrowing $1.6 trillion more this year than we're taking in. ... We cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids."

Source

When being called out on it by reporters yesterday during his canned food drive/political stop, he had nothing to say to those reporters.

I'm sure Christie, Bloomberg, Cuomo, and other mayors of the small towns between Philadelphia and NYC would love to hear what Romney has to say now. Obama is sure to slam this home not with a political rally/stump, but just by touring the disaster areas.

BL.
I wonder what the full context of that quote is.... because when I read I see it as a typical politicians non-commital answer. From that direct quote, I'm not getting the sense that he said that Disaster Relief should be cut.... and I'm also not getting the sense he is saying that it shouldn't be cut either.

Just like Obama's campaign cry of Hope and Change without any real substance behind what that means.... Romney is talking about cutting spending and shrinking the Federal government without giving a real plan how to do so.
SporkLover is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:42 PM   #32
noteple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
Mitt to Barack, "God always liked you best!"

With apologies to The Smother's Brothers,
Allah always liked you best
noteple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:11 AM   #33
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
No. My issue is exactly what I stated.... politicians trying to circumvent the constitutional processes. Our system of government is supposed to be a system of checks and balances within the three branches of Federal Government, and within the different levels of Government.

If the Legislative/Executive Branch wants to grow the Federal powers beyond the enumerated powers, then they should follow the amendment process.
And again, these expansions of powers happened long ago. Possibly before you were born. Trying to undo all that now isn.t going to happen.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:18 AM   #34
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

I hate to go back to Katrina, but this thread stimulated an interesting idea.

You know how the south is anti-fed and stubbornly red. I wonder if Clinton or Obama had been president when Katrina happened, had provided herculean assistance to the region, and had gotten it back on its feet a lot faster...would that have affected the south's attitude towards the federal government? Would we have seen some of the southern states become a little more purple?
Thomas Veil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:27 AM   #35
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Veil View Post
I hate to go back to Katrina, but this thread stimulated an interesting idea.

You know how the south is anti-fed and stubbornly red. I wonder if Clinton or Obama had been president when Katrina happened, had provided herculean assistance to the region, and had gotten it back on its feet a lot faster...would that have affected the south's attitude towards the federal government? Would we have seen some of the southern states become a little more purple?
Memories are short, people forget and go back to their old ways. In fact I bet most everyone forgot about the debates already.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:30 AM   #36
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

An article in Slate that deals with some of the exact same issues and history as in this thread:

Quote:
In September 1965, Hurricane Betsy devastated the Gulf Coast. The storm killed over 70 people in several states and was the first hurricane to cause over $1 billion worth of damage, earning the storm the nickname “Billion-Dollar Betsy.” All that destruction presented Southern politicians with a problem: Their constituents needed aid on the scale only the federal government could provide, but these politicians had spent years railing against that same federal government in the name of “states’ rights.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...y_in_1965.html
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:16 PM   #37
dime21
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Obama is doing the right thing by being at the White House being in command
Huh? He flew to NJ for a quick 15 minute speech before leaving to Las Vegas to party with JZ. He's an idiot who's done nothing to help the situation at all.

Contrast that with Bush, who called the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor or Lousiana on three separate occasions and pleaded with them to order an evacuation. Being radical leftists, they of course weren't going to take any recommendations from W, and they declined. They said it would cause too much chaos. Then after the storm, W called them both again, and asked them to request National Guard to come help keep the peace. Again, they both declined. That crooked Mayor even went so far as to hire Blackwater to come out and do private security for the gov't buildings immediately after the storm. It was nearly a week after, that they finally gave in and request the Guard to come. That idiot retard Mayor and Governor are 100% to blame for the poor handling of Katrina, and yet pop culture and the media blamed Bush.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:54 PM   #38
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
Huh? He flew to NJ for a quick 15 minute speech before leaving to Las Vegas to party with JZ. He's an idiot who's done nothing to help the situation at all.

Contrast that with Bush, who called the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor or Lousiana on three separate occasions and pleaded with them to order an evacuation. Being radical leftists, they of course weren't going to take any recommendations from W, and they declined. They said it would cause too much chaos. Then after the storm, W called them both again, and asked them to request National Guard to come help keep the peace. Again, they both declined. That crooked Mayor even went so far as to hire Blackwater to come out and do private security for the gov't buildings immediately after the storm. It was nearly a week after, that they finally gave in and request the Guard to come. That idiot retard Mayor and Governor are 100% to blame for the poor handling of Katrina, and yet pop culture and the media blamed Bush.

zioxide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:07 PM   #39
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Contrast that with Bush, who called the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor or Lousiana on three separate occasions and pleaded with them to order an evacuation.
hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahha
hahahahhaha
ahahaha
ahahahahahahahah
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:45 PM   #40
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Huh? He flew to NJ for a quick 15 minute speech before leaving to Las Vegas to party with JZ. He's an idiot who's done nothing to help the situation at all....
I keep forgetting that dime21 is what happens when you project a duplicator ray at Superboy.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:22 AM   #41
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

Four more years.
Four more years.
Four more years.
Four more years.
Four more years.
Four more years.
Four more years.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:35 PM   #42
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Chris Christie would disagree with your assessment. Obama was off the campaign trail for days. He and Chris also took to the skies to get an ariel view of the damage. The President called Governors and mayors up and down the coast. I don't mind you criticizing Obama, but at least be FACTUAL in your statements and stop lying.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues