Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
twice as many shipped or sold? Have not seen any believable sales numbers from Samsung.

Once again, you can't see any sale numbers from Samsung (or any other OEM to that matter) simply because they do not sell to end customers. They could not report this data even if they wanted. They do not have it and nobody does. On the other hand there is enough indirect evidence (Google Android activation numbers, Internet traffic data and a common sense which tells us that retailers would not buy phones from Samsung unless they could sell them to customers) to prove that indeed people do buy Samsung phones in 2 to 1 ration compared to iPhones. Also, not all Apple sales are real sales either. Whatever they ship to Target, Best Buy, Radio Shack WalMart etc. are technically speaking shipped phones not sold.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
McDonald's sold more than 100000 times as many food servings as El Bulli, but according to El Bulli, McDonald's isn't really food.

Don't mix quantity with quality and/or specs marketing with actual usability.

Here endeth the lesson.

I always find it funny that some people actually believe and equate Apple with something like El Bulli, Ferarri, BMW. Those brands do not make something mass produced in some shoddy factory in China, or Brazil, or any third world countries by underpaid and overworked labors.

Apple products are. Plain and simple. Only difference is .. it's shiny. :rolleyes:

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Who cares what the analysts say. I was in my local store and they had like 10 iPad minis half 32 wifi and the other 64 wifi. I got the 32 with the product red cover. And the line went fom no one behind me but a half a dozen in front of me to close to 20 behind me in about 10 minutes. Damn.
Apple will sell more minis by Xmas than all that Google and Samsung crapz combined.
The mini is awesome as *******. Screw nexus 10 and to galaxy and beyond.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Apple has serious competition.

As long as people buy solely because it has an Apple logo they will keep some market share.

I wonder what market share they can achieve in the 7" market - I doubt it will ever be near 50%

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Did anyone think Apple would own tablets forever? They got a great head start but they were never going to be the only game in town.

Going to be like the phone. Take 35% share and 80% profits.

It's the end of the world as we know it.

[And I feel fine.]

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Who cares what the analysts say. I was in my local store and they had like 10 iPad minis half 32 wifi and the other 64 wifi. I got the 32 with the product red cover. And the line went fom no one behind me but a half a dozen in front of me to close to 20 behind me in about 10 minutes. Damn.
Apple will sell more minis by Xmas than all that Google and Samsung crapz combined.
The mini is awesome as *******. Screw nexus 10 and to galaxy and beyond.

Its the same people buying everything apple release mate get a grip :eek: the same that will line up when the mini 2 comes out or the new ipad comes out or the new iphone.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Its the same people buying everything apple release mate get a grip :eek: the same that will line up when the mini 2 comes out or the new ipad comes out or the new iphone.

And you get a problem with that? why? Everyone spend there money the way they see fit. Why do you get so excited about how other spend their money? do you need to see a therapist? Take it easy. Life is too short. If you like Nexus 7/10 or Kind fire, go for it and be happy that you find a device that you like :cool:)

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
And you get a problem with that? why? Everyone spend there money the way they see fit. Why do you get so excited about how other spend their money? do you need to see a therapist? Take it easy. Life is too short. If you like Nexus 7/10 or Kind fire, go for it and be happy that you find a device that you like :cool:)

The one with the problem is you mate :eek: getting butthurt for a brand, not even a negative comment lol if someone is excited here is you ! So get a GRIP :) and stop being a trouble maker and check yourself with the therapist.

Nexus 7/10 or kindle fire ? Wow someone is seriously mad !

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I have yet to see numerous Android tablets in the wild. I have seen a few but not many. I sort of doubt that the shipment numbers will translate directly into sales for Samsung.

This is of NEW sales. Of course you are going to see way way WAY more iPads in the "wild" from the iPad 1 on they sold tons tons more. So these statistics are of new ipads. The only way a person could quantify what they see in the wild would be to go to each person and ask them when they purchased the ipad. There is also something called owners/buyers awareness where you actually focus on and notice a specific product because you own or want it.

Then there is where you live, here in Japan I see way more people using non Apple devices, like 20 to 1. In the USA, maybe its different.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
i think apple's tablet share will come down a bit and settle there, in other words apple grabbed more market market share than they deserved cos lack of competion then, but now since all competitors are hammering the market left right with their $100 tablet, those people who cant afford ipad will buy these cheaper tablet, also people who really dont want to much out their tablet will also consider these cheaper options.
But people who really know and understand quality and ecosystem will definitely go for apple.
i think it will be 30%-40% Apple share, rest others share.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
This is WORLDWIDE shipments...not just your neighborhood, city, or even country. Apple is clearly losing the game in growing markets that are crucial...which ultimately means comparatively less long-term revenue for R&D that it needs to battle the other tech companies in the future.

In other words, our iPhones are pretty awesome now...but Samsung is about to have a whole lot of cash from these growing markets to develop stronger competition...unless Apple makes some changes, fast.

Losing the game?:p You are clearly delusional. Sure the competition is finally coming out with some decent products that are worth considering, but Apple is a long way away from losing it's dominance of the tablet market. And for the iPhone to have the market share that it has as one device against dozens and dozens of flavors of Android phones, is quite impressive.

Besides, who says that Apple has to dominate the market anyway. That was never their goal, and I don't believe it is now. I think the proof of that is the price of the iPad Mini. They could have come out at a ridiculously low price and just blown all the competition out of the water, but that's not their style. They have a gazillion dollars in the bank and could have sold the thing at a little above cost just to destroy the competition.

I find it quite ironic after all of the squealing on these forums about how the Mini was priced too high, it appears to be selling quite well, thank you very much.

Yes. But up until recently there hasn't been much Competition.

Agreed. I think it's great. I have a Nexus 7 and I think it's an excellent piece of hardware. Apple caught everyone else with their pants down in the tablet market and to Samsung/Amazon/Microsoft's credit, they have come out with some compelling alternatives. I think that Surface looks very interesting. I hope it does well.

Last edited:

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
It was inevitable that the iPad would see some of its market to competitors over time. However, I don't really think that these shipment numbers are indicative of consumer choice. These are simply tablets that are shipped to retailers, and from the last couple of years of data, it is clear that many of these tablets and up going back to the manufacturer unsold. Apple alluded to this in the iPad Mini intro, when they said that 91% of web data from tablets comes from iPads. So what are all those other tablets doing?

iPad isn't LOSING anything. Apple is still selling RECORD numbers of iDevices across every category.

What IS happening is that 6+ other mega corps are STARTING TO CATCH UP... ALL of the other tablets that are NOT iDevices add up to just over half the market. So 60% of the market is a tablet NOT labeled "iPad"... iPads sell at $399+ for the CHEAPEST... few tablets from the other SIX TABLET MAKERS sell for that price at the maximum. Apple makes more Gross margin than the other competitors RETAIL PRICE.

So basically Apple's juggernaut slowed down long enough for SIX other tablet makers to shovel cheaper tablets faster than Foxconn. Remember these are WORLD numbers, not USA Only numbers we use for PCs. Apple is selling more iPads than the top PC maker sells full notebooks... By a fair margin.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
After what was revealed in Apple's case against Samsung, I *highly* doubt Samsung sold anywhere near that many tablets. In 2010, Samsung stated they shipped 2 million units, but court documents revealed they only sold 262,000 units that year. And between 2010 and Q2 of 2012, they sold a total of 1.4 million Galaxy Tab and Tab 10.1's. And without any hot product releases, unless the Korean government bought millions for its school system that I don't know about, it looks like IDC's numbers are as off as ever.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Where are these other tablets? Literally every single tablet I've seen in public have been iPads.
I agree. While individual experience is a notoriously unreliable measure, I can't imagine iPads at 50% of tablet sales. I've seen kindle fires a grand total of twice in the wild, have NEVER seen a samsung tablet anywhere other than a store shelf, and see iPads numerous times a day. As opposed to smart phones, where you do see a lot of android penetration.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Where are these other tablets? Literally every single tablet I've seen in public have been iPads. I have not seen a single Samsung, kindle fire, or other tablet in the subways or at school. Do these people shamefully use their non iPad tablets at home or something? :p

Just kidding, but seriously though, where are these tablets being sold?

Probably outside the US. I live in Los Angeles, and the only time I ever see a non-Apple tablet is in a Sony store.

----------

Dream on. Apple doesn't price to compete. If they did, the iPad Mini would start at $99

$99 would be a big loss for Apple. Each tablet would cost them money to make and sell plus overhead and R&D. And that would be dumping, which is anti-competitive strategy.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
I always find it funny that some people actually believe and equate Apple with something like El Bulli, Ferarri, BMW. Those brands do not make something mass produced in some shoddy factory in China, or Brazil, or any third world countries by underpaid and overworked labors.

Apple products are. Plain and simple. Only difference is .. it's shiny. :rolleyes:

yes and i guessed it right. u joined in the last two-ish year :p:p:p

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
The one with the problem is you mate :eek: getting butthurt for a brand, not even a negative comment lol if someone is excited here is you ! So get a GRIP :) and stop being a trouble maker and check yourself with the therapist.

Nexus 7/10 or kindle fire ? Wow someone is seriously mad !

why do u even care about how he spends his money? :confused::confused:
u got all worked up and posting in the forum cause u think he is an isheep? even if he is, so what? :confused:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
why do u even care about how he spends his money? :confused::confused:
u got all worked up and posting in the forum cause u think he is an isheep? even if he is, so what? :confused:

You 2 are the ones that seem to care !? You 2 are the one that bring up the isheep coming FFS ! :eek: you 2 are the ones that are associating what i said with isheep or whatever comments....

O M G :eek:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
It helps when IDC decides to start treating a cell phone (The Note) as both a Tablet (for Samsung Tablet counts) and a cell Phone (for Samsung cell phone counts).

----------

IDC counted the Note as both a cell phone and a tablet. These numbers include the Note as a tablet.

Any proof of that?

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
iPad isn't LOSING anything. Apple is still selling RECORD numbers of iDevices across every category.

What IS happening is that 6+ other mega corps are STARTING TO CATCH UP... ALL of the other tablets that are NOT iDevices add up to just over half the market. So 60% of the market is a tablet NOT labeled "iPad"... iPads sell at $399+ for the CHEAPEST... few tablets from the other SIX TABLET MAKERS sell for that price at the maximum. Apple makes more Gross margin than the other competitors RETAIL PRICE.

So basically Apple's juggernaut slowed down long enough for SIX other tablet makers to shovel cheaper tablets faster than Foxconn. Remember these are WORLD numbers, not USA Only numbers we use for PCs. Apple is selling more iPads than the top PC maker sells full notebooks... By a fair margin.

Nice post. Nevertheless we should not forget that these numbers are in
a) before Surface and WIndows RT
b) before the Nexus10

I personally am really amused to read Nexus10 reviews on the web, as nearly everybody (even the worst Apple fanboy reviewers) has nothing but "the ecosystem" and "the look and feel" argument.

Great show. The ecosystem will develop and the "look and feel" will be there as soon as this stupid trade dress patent gets invalidated (which btw happens in some countries as we are speaking).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.