Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cdumitru78

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
As the title says, I am still plugging along with the original iPad, works decently well, but it is time to update. Any of you out there that made the jump from the original ipad to either the mini or the regular new ipad? Any thoughts? I hear all the complaints about the screen on the mind, I would love the have a better screen than what I currently have, is the screen on the mini significantly better? Also, is the speed on the new ipads significantly improved? Sounds like the new ipad should offer noticeable screen and speed bump from my ipad.

I am planning to use the new ipad mainly around the house for some web browsing, the ocasional email, no heavy work stuff, I have a 13 inch Macbook Pro for that.

geek36

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
just go with the ipad 4 and skip the mini. much higher performance and has retina display.

Cdumitru78

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Thats what I am leaning towards, at least before seeing both devices. Seems like the new iPads have the performance and the screen to match it.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Just picked up a iPad 4th Gen last night (I've owned all 3 previous) and I'm *really* happy with it. HUGE (I can't emphasize that enough) upgrade from 1st gen.:D

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I just upgraded my iPad 1 to an iPad 4. I was very impressed with the Mini's form factor and weight, but when I thought hard about it, the biggest negatives to my original iPad were screen resolution and lack of RAM and cpu power. The Mini would not address the screen issue at all, and I feel like the A5 series chips will likely be left unsupported within the next 2 years.

Anyhow, the move to the iPad 4 is well worth it. This nearly everything I've wanted from my iPad. Text is razor sharp everywhere. I really prefer using an iPad in portrait, and the lower resolution screens are just too fuzzy to make this comfortable. Programs open instantly, even the complex ones, and I can leave 8-10 tabs open in Safari and not have to worry about them reloading. It loads web pages nearly as fast as my iMac. The speed really goes a long ways towards making this a more functional device - a second here and a half second there don't seem like much in theory, but it practice it makes it much more pleasant to use.

The other thing that was a bonus for me was that even though I've used a number of iPad 2's and 3's, I'd never used them side by side with my 1. I completely forgot how much thinner and lighter the new models are. The old one looks like a laptop in comparison.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
I can't even imagine what the upgrade high would be going from 1 to 4. You're in for a treat.

Cdumitru78

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Seems like many users like the new iPad, I cannot wait to go check it out. I like the thought of a faster device, thats for sure, I am getting sick of internet crashing just about every 5 minutes.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
My wife and I took the plunge yesterday, each upgrading from the iPad 1 to the iPad 4. I agree with what everyone else has said. The upgrade in speed is HUGE - web pages load instantaneously, and there's no lag with scrolling. We liked the form factor and light weight of the Mini, but we never found the iPad 1 to be too big or heavy, and the Retina display on the 4 blew away the acceptable but unspectacular display on the Mini. The longer usable lifespan of the A6 processor in the 4 as another factor. We might upgrade to a Retina Mini in a few years, but we have no regrets about getting the 4 this time.

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Yes, I upgraded from the iPad1 to the mini. It is absolutely fantastic. I have no screen issues, and for those for whom the keyboard it's too small, there is always Siri.

Dictated on my iPad mini

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Both the mini and the 4 are a huge jump from the first iPad. I don't think that you would regret either decision.

crazydawg807

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
im still using original ipad. I too also feel like it is time to upgrade, as a good number of my apps will crash, and having safari reloading multiple tabs is annoying. I was thinking of going with the mini, but I think it might be worth it to spend a little more and go with the ipad4, as I plan to use it for at least the next couple of years

MacAttacked

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
I made the jump on Friday, from the 1 to the 4.

Between the retina display and the speed, it is awesome!!!

The mini was just too small for me.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Either way it's a jump, but I'd ask yourself if you have ever felt that the full sized iPad was too big. I know it sounds weird but it is something to consider.

If you are happy with what you have in the 1st gen, I'd go for the 4th gen. If you want something smaller that would be the only reason I'd get the mini.

That said, I have both and use them for different things. I use my iPad for reading and web browsing where I usually use the mini as a remote for iTunes and quick browsing.

I think they serve different purposes. If I am going to curl up with a book the iPad is obviously the way to go - for me. If I am waiting at the doctor's office or a car repair, then the mini is what I'd use.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I just upgraded my iPad 1 for the 4.....and my wife sold her 2 for the Mini. Choosing between the 4 and the mini wasn't easy. In the end, my wife placed a high value on style, portability and weight while I placed a higher value on the display quality. We both are very happy with our choices.

Btw....when I compared the display on the iPad 1 to both the mini and the 4, I couldn't believe how inferior the original iPad's display is in comparison. Both the mini and the 4 displays are noticeably better than the original to my eye! I also noticed an enormous improvement in performance in moving from the 1 to the 4! The mini blows the original away too (ie from a performance/speed perspective)...by my tests! Both have much better wifi performance than the original too!

Either choice is going to be a big improvement over the original.....enjoy!

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yeah, the 1 to the 4thG, it not even like the same product line. I traded in my 3rdG last Tue and didn't get my 4thG till late Friday ... so for fun, I plinked around on our iPad 1 (that's basically used by my little girl now), and it felt like 5-6 years of product life cycle :)

Cdumitru78

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
I got to briefly test both out today, and I honestly liked both. Size wise, the Mini is amazing, I truly liked it. Display on the 4 is definitely better, but it felt pretty heavy in comparison. I wasnt able to try either for more than a few brief minute, so I have to go back. The mini was sold out, they had plenty of 4's in stock. I will report back, I forgot how fun it is to buy a new Apple toy!

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I went from the 1 to the mini and absolutely love. I thought long and hard about the mini and refurb 3 and settled on the mini. The biggest difference is the weight. The original is a brick compared to this. The biggest thing would be for you to make a decision on what device to best for you on experience and usability. Specs and the like are good measuring sticks. But everyday usage is truly the test.

Peter-

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2009
I went from the 1 to the mini and absolutely love. I thought long and hard about the mini and refurb 3 and settled on the mini. The biggest difference is the weight. The original is a brick compared to this. The biggest thing would be for you to make a decision on what device to best for you on experience and usability. Specs and the like are good measuring sticks. But everyday usage is truly the test.

Glad you pulled the trigger, I'm in the same boat. Now for the 2 week waiting game.

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
I upgraded from an iPad 1 to a mini and it really is a breath of fresh air. Apps load instantly, the screen is better, Safari doesn't reload your tabs all the time, there's no lag and of course the weight difference is great. Very happy that I upgraded.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I upgraded my iPad 1 the mini, because I knew Apple would eventually produce a smaller version. The mini now makes my iPad 1 feel clunky and old. I particularly like how the mini can do everything any other iPad can do, but the smaller form factor makes it easier to handle. I do foresee better screen resolution, or retina display, coming in the next iPad mini within two years. Basically what Apple has done is make different versions of the iPad available for different types of needs.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
I'm going from no iPad, actually never even held an iPad to a Mini. I do however have an iPhone 5 hehe.

Cdumitru78

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
I ended up with a Mini ( decision was made for me - it came as a gift!), and so far I love it. I kept being worried that I would miss the larger screen, but so far, the mini does everything I need. Much faster than the Original iPad, and very hard to beat the size, so easy to carry around. Battery life is amazing as well, I have been playing with it since Friday and I still have 15% left. I am sure I would have loved the iPad 4 as well, great device without a doubt, but so far I am stoked. Now if I can find a nice case, that would really be sweet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.