Prediction: Android apps to swamp Apples - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:06 AM   #26
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Great. Except:

Not compatible with my Android tablet running ICS.


So far over 100 apps and games I want on Android tablet, but is incompatible.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:13 AM   #27
VulchR
macrumors 68000
 
VulchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdream View Post
....
Another thing that annoys me about Google. I tried to buy my first Android app today and it wants my passport and address documentation. I didn't need to give Apple that to buy apps. Kind of bad when you think about it.
Seriously? What were you buying? 'The Dummies Guide to IED's'?
__________________
My first was a Mac+. Now I own an iPhone with 3.5x the pixels, a colour display, WiFi, 512x the RAM, >1500x the data storage, and 100x the speed. And it fits in the palm of my hand.
VulchR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:18 AM   #28
nba1341
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Great. Except:

Not compatible with my Android tablet running ICS.


So far over 100 apps and games I want on Android tablet, but is incompatible.

For some reason the Netherlands version was linked if you would have read the company you would have saw

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5uZnMxM19uYSJd

Requires Android:
2.3.3 and up
nba1341 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:23 PM   #29
michaeljohn
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL12345 View Post
Think about it. If the Android market is 5 times the size of Apple's and growing month on month, its obvious where the money is. Watch this space. I think we are going to see something spectacular.
LOL, is this a serious post? Have you not read all the news for like the past year about how many devs are either stopping or have stopped making Android apps because they make literally nothing? You have it backwards, all the money is in the App store, not the Play store. Here is just one of many articles on the subject

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/31680...m#.UJgD1LQvqyw
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:44 PM   #30
Lampmeister
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fort Worth
I don't see why this issue even matters. So what if Android offers more apps? Even if they do, what have you got...a crappy Android device with a bunch of apps!
Lampmeister is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:50 PM   #31
1member1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
most android devices has different versions. some on 2.3 some on ICS and very little on jelly bean.
even chrome browser for android only support from 4.0.

In android piracy is much more easier. you can download apk and copy it to your device.
in iOS you have to jailbreak (not avilable for every version and phone) and then you have to change permissions on the folders - much more complicated for normal users.

so no I don't think android devs will make more money in the future. it will all be the same maybe even lower.
1member1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:54 PM   #32
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PremiÓ de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
LOL, is this a serious post? Have you not read all the news for like the past year about how many devs are either stopping or have stopped making Android apps because they make literally nothing? You have it backwards, all the money is in the App store, not the Play store. Here is just one of many articles on the subject

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/31680...m#.UJgD1LQvqyw
You know that there is a slightly difference between a survey asking interest on developing for a platform and actually developing for that platform, don't you?


Can you name those many developers that have stopped developing for Android?
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:14 PM   #33
Dave.UK
macrumors 6502a
 
Dave.UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1member1 View Post

In android piracy is much more easier. you can download apk and copy it to your device.
in iOS you have to jailbreak (not avilable for every version and phone) and then you have to change permissions on the folders - much more complicated for normal users.
Since June Google has started to offer encryption keys to developers so the paid app can only be used with the account it was purchased from.
Dave.UK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:23 PM   #34
1member1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.UK View Post
Since June Google has started to offer encryption keys to developers so the paid app can only be used with the account it was purchased from.
I'm not android user but my friends downloading 24/7. not paying for any app in the play store. it's sad.
1member1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:25 PM   #35
paulsalter
macrumors 68000
 
paulsalter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Send a message via ICQ to paulsalter Send a message via AIM to paulsalter Send a message via MSN to paulsalter Send a message via Yahoo to paulsalter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1member1 View Post
I'm not android user but my friends downloading 24/7. not paying for any app in the play store. it's sad.
I hope you dont share any files with your friends

If they are just downloading APK files from the net I dread to think what type of nasties are in them
__________________
Macbook C2D 2.16 GHz, 16GB 3G iPhone, 64GB iPod Touch & MobileMe
paulsalter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:57 PM   #36
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdream View Post
Another thing that annoys me about Google. I tried to buy my first Android app today and it wants my passport and address documentation. I didn't need to give Apple that to buy apps. Kind of bad when you think about it.
That is rather unusual. I never had that when I tried to buy apps. Just asked for me credit card info the first time. After that it remembers it.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman06 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:05 PM   #37
b166er
macrumors 68020
 
b166er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philly
This whole argument makes no sense, again. Android does not "sell phones" at all. Samsung, LG, HTC, etc sell phones.

This is like saying Windows sold more PC's than Apple. You're comparing a software that is available on hundreds of devices VS an exclusive package of hardware and software that is only available from Apple.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm saying this argument, as always, makes no freaking sense. I don't get how it is this hard to understand even after decades of comparing Windows VS Apple.
__________________
Wait... I had something for this.
b166er is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:39 AM   #38
michaeljohn
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
You know that there is a slightly difference between a survey asking interest on developing for a platform and actually developing for that platform, don't you?


Can you name those many developers that have stopped developing for Android?
Do a Google search yourself. There are a ton of articles on this subject.
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:41 AM   #39
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PremiÓ de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
Do a Google search yourself. There are a ton of articles on this subject.
You're the one claiming that developers are abandoning Android.

And it is clear that you don't have any proof and you're only spreading FUD
Oletros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:53 AM   #40
michaeljohn
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
You're the one claiming that developers are abandoning Android.

And it is clear that you don't have any proof and you're only spreading FUD
Pages here, enjoy

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...iw=768&bih=912
michaeljohn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:13 AM   #41
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PremiÓ de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
Have you actually read the links? If you post 23 links to the same IDC history it still won't provve your point.

Enjoy your FUD
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:22 AM   #42
michaeljohn
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Have you actually read the links? If you post 23 links to the same IDC history it still won't provve your point.

Enjoy your FUD
There are at least a dozen different articles there. Learn to read.
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:25 AM   #43
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PremiÓ de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
There are at least a dozen different articles there. Learn to read.

The one that has to learn to read is you. None of them apart the Mika Mobile case talks about developers abandoning Android, and Mika Mobile was a very special case.

And still waiting those many Android developers that have abandoned the platform. And you know why tyou are incapable of naming them, because you don't have nothing, only FUD

Enjoy your hatred
Oletros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:32 AM   #44
steviewhy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
There are at least a dozen different articles there. Learn to read.
Linking a google search between users is useless due to bubbling.

Everyone will get different results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_bubble
steviewhy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:44 AM   #45
flameproof
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL12345 View Post
With Android selling 5 times the number of phones in Q3 of 2012 than Apple, that can only mean one thing. Android apps are going to grow in number so fast that Apple's app store is going to look puny by comparison.
So? It means:

1. ...that you can find what you need for either platform.

2. ... you can chose then between 2000+ torch/flashlight apps rather then the mediocre 1000 you have now for iOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL12345 View Post
If the Android market is 5 times the size of Apple's and growing month on month, its obvious where the money is.
Android is already bigger then iOS for a looong time. But still.... I know one app developer that has the same app for iOS and Android. Even though there are more Android phones out there, he makes way more money with iOS. Not sure why, seems iOS users are more into buying apps.
flameproof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:37 AM   #46
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
There was once a time when larger screen devices was a deal breaker (Hello iPhone 5, and hello iPad Mini that can apparently be used with one hand according to Apple).
Theres a difference in using with one hand and holding it with one hand. I don't really care about the whole one hand usage thing but im just saying.
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3
AQUADock is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:50 AM   #47
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
Theres a difference in using with one hand and holding it with one hand. I don't really care about the whole one hand usage thing but im just saying.
Right. And Apple makes the distinction in the video.

In the official iPad Mini video, Ive explicitly says "...you can still pick it up and easily use it with one hand..." Easily. Earlier in the video, they make the distinction that you can hold it with one hand, but at the 2:10 mark, they're clearly talking about using it with one hand.

Video is here: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overv...-mini-features)

Going by that reasoning, any device can be used one handed, yet according to their iPhone 5 campaign, one of the main talking points is that anything larger than a 4" smartphone is unusable with one hand.

So either the iPad Mini can be used one handed (like it says in the video) and therefore so can other smaller smartphones, or nothing above the iPhone 5 screen size (like it says in the iPhone campaigns) can be used one handed in which case the iPad Mini video is a lie.
onthecouchagain is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:58 AM   #48
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Right. And Apple makes the distinction in the video.

In the official iPad Mini video, Ive explicitly says "...you can still pick it up and easily use it with one hand..." Easily. Earlier in the video, they make the distinction that you can hold it with one hand, but at the 2:10 mark, they're clearly talking about using it with one hand.

Video is here: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overv...-mini-features)

Going by that reasoning, any device can be used one handed, yet according to their iPhone 5 campaign, one of the main talking points is that anything larger than a 4" smartphone is unusable with one hand.

So either the iPad Mini can be used one handed (like it says in the video) and therefore so can other smaller smartphones, or nothing above the iPhone 5 screen size (like it says in the iPhone campaigns) can be used one handed in which case the iPad Mini video is a lie.
So Apple is contradicting themselves theres nothing new in that, they always have. Even if Apple said that you still can't use the whole display with one hand while holding it. I think what they mean is that with the small borders you can manipulate some of the display you can't do that with the full size iPad.

The reason Apple was campaigning the whole one handed thing with iPhone 5 was so they could give a reason for why they only made the display taller the actual reason is because every app in the appstore would have to be remade for the iPhone 5. Making stretching the apps is easy .
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3
AQUADock is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:39 AM   #49
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
So Apple is contradicting themselves theres nothing new in that, they always have. Even if Apple said that you still can't use the whole display with one hand while holding it. I think what they mean is that with the small borders you can manipulate some of the display you can't do that with the full size iPad.

The reason Apple was campaigning the whole one handed thing with iPhone 5 was so they could give a reason for why they only made the display taller the actual reason is because every app in the appstore would have to be remade for the iPhone 5. Making stretching the apps is easy .
Agreed.

Some see Apple's decision regarding screen size as a huge plus, and indeed there are benefits to keeping everything tidy, but their fear of fragmentation, in my opinion, holds them back from really exploring new hardware and software.
onthecouchagain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:59 AM   #50
jimmyb5374
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: berkshire,U.K.
Thumbs down

This is my opinion ,not based on scientific data / theorem or dubious web links ;

Apple fear making bigger devices with resizable widgets and customisable setup and open development, purely on the basis they know unless they put in all the work or supersize the processor and ram the devices will LAG , and apple simply can't have that , or they will have devices with no distinction from android than better build quality and a certain fruit based imprint on the back

Just my opinion , but think about it, , its either commercial (profit margin / component costs) or pure fear they will have a lot of work to do not to end up like a one horse android (trick) pony.
__________________
1 x Iphone 3gs 8gb, 2 x ipod touch 4th gen , 1x6th generation ipod nano 8gb . 1 x iphone4s currently boring me
jimmyb5374 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Android-like keyboard prediction EvanLugh Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 10 Jul 4, 2013 01:45 PM
Apps for protecting my Android from apps that collects my information chococat Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 6 Dec 3, 2012 10:07 PM
Android Apps vs iOS Apps Revenue irDigital0l Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 0 Nov 30, 2012 06:49 PM
Apples Apples aka Apps - Can I delete them? deGenova iPhone and iPod touch Apps 8 Oct 23, 2012 11:55 AM
iPhone app help - Escape the Swamp craxj8120 iPhone 8 Aug 19, 2012 01:22 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC