Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:34 PM   #101
scupking
macrumors 6502

Cook, Ive and Schiller are now the dream team!!! Great move Cook! Can't wait to see what comes from apple in the next 10 years!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:12 PM   #102
touchipods
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by patent10021 View Post
what?

----------

That's some hilarious shi_t. Wonder what keynote that was. Maybe it was a sneak preview of Total Recall.

Btw, I think it's safe to say Cook is a genius with this move. He def belongs where he is.
That was the recent iPad Mini keynote. Right after Tim Cook says bye and everyone is leaving.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:15 PM   #103
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

I hope Ives ios and os x (xi?) dont become more locked down and uncustomizable to ensure his control of the user experience. Imagine if we had to jailbreak our Macs!
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:32 PM   #104
kmj2318
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuregulin View Post
I was amazed by APPL board to let Tim lead the company, not he is not a good leader. APPL is different from any other company not because of its operation (that's Tim, he does a fantastic job!), but because of Steve!

They should have been looking for Steve's replacement and Johny should be at least on that short list. Wondering why it takes them a whole year to find Johny..... next door.
I think the set up now is as good as it can be. Jony Ive is a replacement to Steve in some ways, but Jony does not have the personality to also be the CEO.
kmj2318 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:54 PM   #105
Ashwood11
macrumors 65816

I think it's time to call him "Jony iVe"
Ashwood11 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:55 PM   #106
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Is Ive the one that was for or against skeuomorphism?
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:56 PM   #107
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by egeek84 View Post
I can't figure out what's happening here.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:15 PM   #108
hachre
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwood11 View Post
I think it's time to call him "Jony iVe"
Hahahah awesome

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
I can't figure out what's happening here.
Ive is rebooting iVe OS after a long and boring keynote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:50 PM   #109
SeattleMoose
macrumors 6502a

As if....

As if it could be anyone else.....Good move but just like with SJ, temper the "design aesthetics" with practical HW design (ala via Bob Mansfield). Design "purity" (without some practical give and take with HW engineering) results in beautiful but "crippled" HW engineering (e.g. limited user maintenance / expandability / etc).
SeattleMoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:23 AM   #110
bennyboy34
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencecb View Post
I'm sure Steve is breathing a sigh of relief.
Well no, Steve isn't breathing..
bennyboy34 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:31 AM   #111
tripmusic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Ive looks pissed!

Maybe Tim just tried to touch Jony and he wasn't too happy about it?
tripmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:10 AM   #112
cfs112
macrumors member

great move, I'm looking for more innovation. a product being thinner is not the innovation i'm looking for.
cfs112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:46 AM   #113
Mystic386
macrumors regular

All the Ive articles that quote his thoughts show a guy that is onto it in terms of design, the customer experience, and design excellence through the whole machine whether you can see it or not. Even the the packaging. Who does that. Jony Ive. This level of commitment to design means that Apple promoting Ive in this way is a great decision.

The future already looks great for Samsung and Google. Microsoft and some PC makers seem to be the slowest to learn and adapt. The next 10 years will be an interesting time.

Apples lead in key areas that determine product success is being closed. In other areas it's not even being touched.

I'm wrapped with the Ive decision. As an Apple customer it makes me feel good about the future. Real good.
Mystic386 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:51 AM   #114
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSony View Post
Seems to me that shareholders not so happy due latest financial results and we have yet to see something really big. Cannot wait for the moment when Ive finally fire Timmy.
You do realize that the fiscal year that just ended posted 45% increase in revenue and 61% increase in profit over fiscal 2011? Investors are skittish morons and analysts are even worse. The stock always corrects because Apple's fundamentals override every bearish spin in the end. Wall Street simply cannot fathom a company if this size achieving that level of growth. Not to mention they have been growing like that for at least eight straight years. Apple just sold 3M tablets at a healthy margin in three days, while Google fell short of selling 3M tablets at cost in three months.

I am holding my AAPL stock and if I did not discipline myself to diversify I would be loading up on AAPL in a much bigger way at the current price. 2013 is going to be an amazing year for the company. Starting with the earnings report in January, and the on to whatever Ives has for us at WWDC (likely with a summer iPad refresh) and then the iPhone 5S (likely with fingerprint recognition in the home button) and we will see Mac Pro refresh, Retina Thunderbolt Display and iMac with Retina Display.

This move by Tim is to prevent Apple from going into a "coasting" mode. Forestall has been coasting. He has left too many things below their potential. It's time to hit another one out of the park.
BC2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:46 AM   #115
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

I think this is a good match, Jony has the product vision and Tim has the business head. Together they should be able to do great things. All we need now is a great showman to present the new stuff at keynotes. This is one thing that I miss most about Apple these days, when Steve presented it didn't seem to matter that you knew what was coming it was still exciting.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:59 AM   #116
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

Johnny definitely saved Apple. Cook and Ives are the brains behind Apple for sure.
Puevlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:47 AM   #117
Rogifan
macrumors G3

I'm curious to know how this all went down. Did Ive request to be more involved in software? Does the HI group report up through him or through Federighi? Who had the final say? I'm hoping Cook gave Ive some real power in this position and its not just him sitting in on UI/UX design meetings offering an opinion that may or may not carry any weight.

One thing I wonder is how long Ive has had certain feelings that he had to keep in check because of Steve? Maybe he's wanted hardware and software to be designed holistically but Steve prevented it?

I do like what Cook has done here, bringing all of design together, all of the online services and software under one leader. And then carving out a spot for Bob Mansfield to work on new technologies. And it seems everyone on the executive team now are real team players who can work together and who don't have designs on Cooks job.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:53 AM   #118
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Ive making the important decisions?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:29 AM   #119
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
I just wish Jonny would get over his "thinness" obsession. There is no need for desktops to be anorexic when it compromises the ability of the machine to perform it's functions and bars user upgradeablility
I'll 'second' that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
So one man cannot replace Jobs, you need 2: Cook and Ive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will do good View Post
I wish Jony all the best. But, beyond talent he needs to be as lucky as Steve too. Go Jony!!
There's no doubt JONY has the 'design perfectionist' gene, and he has unquestionably come up with impeccable designs. We can only hope that he also has the VISION, to take APPLE in the right direction, something that seemed like second nature to SJ. That 'vision' is a quality that, despite all his other great accomplishments, seems to be lacking in Tim Cook.

To me, a 'dream' team would also include Tony Fadell, but he seems to be doing so well with his NEST venture, that his return to APPLE seems unlikely.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:26 AM   #120
kazmac
macrumors 68000

glad to see Jony move up

He deserves it.

Hopefully he'll continue to create great things.
kazmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:50 AM   #121
jlchee
macrumors newbie

My thoughts

I find the phrase " Jony Ive is Now Playing the Steve Jobs Role" irritating. Jony is not "playing" anything. He is a serious guy who probably made Jobs look real good over the years.
I have been very concerned over the period since Jobs passing as it didn't seem that Ives was being heard from. Almost as if he was shuffled to the background. When I saw Tim Cook leading the last product introductions I was even more concerned. Tim seemed to be trying to re-create Jobs, the way he dressed, the movements as if he had beed studying past videos of Jobs performances. He was sooo boring. Bring Ives back on stage and Tim, please let the guys do their job and stay off the stage, no pun intended.
Great move Tim!
jlchee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:00 AM   #122
miniroll32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlchee View Post
I have been very concerned over the period since Jobs passing as it didn't seem that Ives was being heard from. Almost as if he was shuffled to the background.
This isn't a soap opera; you don't need to 'hear' from people to know whether they're doing their job properly or not.
miniroll32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:03 AM   #123
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdsail View Post
Ugh..

Frankly, I HATE the iOSfication of MacOS X... It sucks. If this just leads to more of that crap.. Along with more anorexic disposable "appliances" that are intended to be tossed every two years....

I see nothing good ahead.. I see Apple becoming the next Sony.. Alienating the "loyalists", the "Evangelists", then only being one or two flops away from irrelevance..

I want to be wrong.. I want to believe..

But, the best I feel about any of this lately is, "Meh".
We now have a model to look at regarding the complete unification of a desktop OS and a portable touch-based OS: Windows 8.

I sincerely hope Apple continues to innovate, improve, and revolutionize, but let's not drive computers like we drive tablets. I don't wear the same clothes to drive my car that I do to ride my motorcycle . . .
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:14 AM   #124
RSL
macrumors regular

Jony Ive deserves massive credit for the work he's done up to now in helping create the most desirable gadgets in tech.

But as an old school mac guy, for me design is a plus, but what really matters is the magical experience when using the operating system. I like the way the mac just works, intuitively, no instructions needed. I like to be able to be productive without worrying about the computer.

I don't know if Ive is controlling much of the software aspect of things, but I think that the emphasis should be on making the best software, and then making the best hardware to use it. I don't mind the direction in which OSX and iOS are headed, but so far the results have not been great (for me). I see no point (except autosave!) to use Lion/ML. I found Lion to be really buggy and not stable, plus hungry for resources. It just shows that the software side had been neglected. Also this programmed obsolescence thing makes little computing sense, since if OSX and iOS merge, then it will actually lower computing requirements. (We're already seeing this with Win 8.) IMO it just gives Apple a bad image.
RSL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:41 AM   #125
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
if only we can get Jony to do the keynotes.
And be bored to death?
Jon is a genius, a legend. But he is not good at talking to crowds. Look at the event Apple had for Jobs death. Jon spoke. And he was so boring, looked like he just got out of bed etc etc. The only reason I'm glad he spoke there is I know he really spoke some nice words about Jobs.

Jon would not want to put a shirt with buttons or a tie or even smile (he's the only senior VP photo that is not smiling. And the only one with a t-shirt on. I say leave Jon to do what he does best. And pay him millions to make sure he keeps doing it. And leave the keynotes to people with more passion on stage like Schiller. And as much as Forstall was an ******* he was interesting on stage.

I don't believe for a second that Jon is playing the steve role. Sure jobs touch was on every product. But that was just a touch. The heart, soul, backbone and brains of every piece of Apple hardware has Jon all over it. So much so there was a museum exhibition a while back in Germany showcasing everything Jon.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/...man_exhibition

I think without the jobs touch/approval every product needed to have to get made, I think that final say will now rest in a number of people's hands. And Jon will have the hardware design side.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion