Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:37 AM   #1
danielowenuk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Siri TV Guide

Does anyone else think that Siri could really use info on TV Listings?

It would be great to just say "What time does BLAHBLAH program start?"
danielowenuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:39 AM   #2
brylliant
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielowenuk View Post
Does anyone else think that Siri could really use info on TV Listings?

It would be great to just say "What time does BLAHBLAH program start?"
That would be a great idea! Something that I would actually use.
It would take forever for that feature to come to the UK though. We get everything so slowly lol
brylliant is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:49 PM   #3
PaulyD
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
I agree, that would be awesome. for the US of course before it did eventually come to this small island!
__________________

Mid 2010 15" Macbook Pro iPhone 5 32GB white iPad 3 32GB white TV 2
PaulyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Might be a good idea but I have comcast and they have their own app that not only shows whats on but also allows me to change channels.

If Siri could do that then I'd be in on it.
__________________
Throw us one Russell---John Fox Super Bowl 49
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:50 PM   #5
dv8r
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aarhus
Sure let's have it - another Siri function that's useless outside of the US...
dv8r is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:30 AM   #6
danielowenuk
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Might be a good idea but I have comcast and they have their own app that not only shows whats on but also allows me to change channels.

If Siri could do that then I'd be in on it.
I have a Sky app that not only allows me to change channels, but will allow me to remote record an program from anywhere in the world. Integrate that and they can have my first born
danielowenuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:06 AM   #7
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielowenuk View Post
Does anyone else think that Siri could really use info on TV Listings?

It would be great to just say "What time does BLAHBLAH program start?"
Hummmm ... pushing the guide button on the remote still works for me.
__________________
Two iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:51 AM   #8
danielowenuk
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlizard View Post
Hummmm ... pushing the guide button on the remote still works for me.
When you are in front of the TV of course!
danielowenuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:14 AM   #9
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielowenuk View Post
When you are in front of the TV of course!
OK, so if Siri could tell you what was on, but you are not in proximity of a TV, what benefit ?

Besides, with 400 channels, the battery would die before getting to the end
__________________
Two iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:21 AM   #10
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's not needed, and people won't use it because apps are more convenient. It's not in the same category of importance of, "Oh, I really need to make a note of this", "I need to find a restaurant for us to go to tonight", or "I need to figure out when the movie starts so I can get there in time".

Watching TV at a specific time doesn't matter anymore these days, and most of us use a DVR.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:38 AM   #11
danielowenuk
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Ok so people want to know what time a movie starts.......... but only if it's showing outside your home.

What's wrong with Siri knowing about what's on inside your home?

You could make the same argument about cinema info. You could use an app.

The DVR argument discounts live programs, that you want to watch live.
danielowenuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:32 PM   #12
joekun
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
I love to ask Siri when my football team is playing, and she always has the answer. My follow up question is always "is it on TV?" or "what channel is it on", but Siri just says she doesn't have TV schedules. So yes! This would be awesome.
joekun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Aniseedvan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
It's not needed, and people won't use it because apps are more convenient. It's not in the same category of importance of, "Oh, I really need to make a note of this", "I need to find a restaurant for us to go to tonight", or "I need to figure out when the movie starts so I can get there in time".

Watching TV at a specific time doesn't matter anymore these days, and most of us use a DVR.
But it would be handy to know when to set the DVR! I think this is a logical progression but like the others won't hold my breath here in the UK..
__________________
2012 11" MBA, 2014 13" rMBP, iPhone6
Aniseedvan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:42 PM   #14
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun View Post
I love to ask Siri when my football team is playing, and she always has the answer. My follow up question is always "is it on TV?" or "what channel is it on", but Siri just says she doesn't have TV schedules. So yes! This would be awesome.
I must be a bit more passionate about my football team.

I know exactly when all their games are scheduled
__________________
Two iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:11 PM   #15
cyks
macrumors 68020
 
cyks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Westchester County, NY
Siri would need to know your location, what cable provider you use (if any), and license all the information regarding their line-up.

For me, as others have said, it's simply easier to open my cable company's app, browse the guide from there, and, if I find something I want to watch, have the ability to set the DVR from within the app - something Siri would not have the ability to do.
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:10 AM   #16
Sedrick
macrumors 68030
 
Sedrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I have a Uverse app that lets me use my iPhone/iPad as a remote and control everything including search and record.

Don't use that either. Easier to just grab the remote.

Now, if I'm sitting on the john at work and want to set some recordings for home, it comes in handy, but I won't be in a stall and yelling "Siri, what time does Grey's Anatomy start?!"

But please, keep trying to find a legitimate use for Siri. It amuses me.
__________________
iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2
Sedrick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:24 AM   #17
MozMan68
macrumors 65816
 
MozMan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Siiiiide of Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
Siri would need to know your location, what cable provider you use (if any), and license all the information regarding their line-up.

For me, as others have said, it's simply easier to open my cable company's app, browse the guide from there, and, if I find something I want to watch, have the ability to set the DVR from within the app - something Siri would not have the ability to do.
But I thought this was one of the key steps in Apple creating an integrated TV?

Integrate iTunes to start (no different than set with built in Apple TV) and then add content via local/cable channels to in essence become a cable provider?
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**GUIDE: Bootable Mac Pro 2009-10 SATA III + eSATA Guide + TRIM ** Concorde Rules Mac Pro 91 Sep 15, 2014 02:58 AM
GUIDE: DIY Fusion Drive Guide Orlandoech MacBook Pro 5 Sep 8, 2014 09:19 AM
Hey geeks, how do Siri and Siri Proxy work? moonman239 iOS 7 1 Feb 15, 2014 05:57 PM
GUIDE: MacBook Air SSD Tweaking Guide Orlandoech MacBook Air 1 Feb 1, 2013 06:40 PM
Siri Not Working Properly - Is it Siri or Straight Talk? madsci954 iOS 5 and earlier 0 Sep 18, 2012 10:20 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps