Airplay Problem- Can't mix wired ethernet and wifi devices? same subnet, same network - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 7, 2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Sean Dempsey
macrumors 68000

Airplay Problem- Can't mix wired ethernet and wifi devices? same subnet, same network

Scenario:

Ethernet:
- AppleTV (fully updated)
- Macbook Air (fully updated) Mountain Lion (via Thunderbolt Display)
- Mac Pro iTunes server (fully updated) Regular Lion
- All on the same network (192.168.1.*, same subnet 255.255.255.0)
- Homesharing and AppleTV appear in iTunes library
- Linksys E2000 Router

These all play nice and homesharing and airplay mirroring work as expected.

WiFi:
- Macbook Air (fully updated) Mountain Lion. Same as above, but now unplugged from Ethernet
- Still on same network (192.168.1.*, 255.255.255.0). Internet and file sharing stil work.

Doesn't see the AppleTV for airplay mirroring, doesn't see the AppleTV in itunes. Internet and network still work. Thoughts on how/if this can be resolved?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2
waw74
macrumors 68020

try rebooting your router.

you say file sharing works? so the wireless air will see the wired pro?

try pinging the appleTV from wireless - open terminal type "ping 192.168.1.##"
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:05 AM   #3
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Check your firewall settings on the wifi.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:48 AM   #4
klunernet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey View Post
- Linksys E2000 Router
I have seen multiple cisco and linksys consumer routers, as well as some cable-provider specific cablemodems get totally messed up by bonjour/zeroconf traffic. basically, what happens is: it sees all the multicast traffic that bonjour devices tend to send out to keep everyone informed of everything (it's quite a noisy protocol), and detects this as a network flooding issue, and then firewalls the protocol. it often does this noiseless, and without any options to whitelist the protocol in question (bonjour is absolutely harmeless).

If you reboot the linksys it should then work again for a few minutes, and then all your stuff will vanish again.

I use a mix of wired and non-wired airplay devices myself, and they have not failed a single moment in the last year, except for the occasional reboot due to a firmware update.
klunernet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Sean Dempsey
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunernet View Post
I have seen multiple cisco and linksys consumer routers, as well as some cable-provider specific cablemodems get totally messed up by bonjour/zeroconf traffic. basically, what happens is: it sees all the multicast traffic that bonjour devices tend to send out to keep everyone informed of everything (it's quite a noisy protocol), and detects this as a network flooding issue, and then firewalls the protocol. it often does this noiseless, and without any options to whitelist the protocol in question (bonjour is absolutely harmeless).

If you reboot the linksys it should then work again for a few minutes, and then all your stuff will vanish again.

I use a mix of wired and non-wired airplay devices myself, and they have not failed a single moment in the last year, except for the occasional reboot due to a firmware update.

What router are you using?

I really wanted a Airport Extreme, but I require external access and I use the linksys DYNDNS built in option. I wasn't able to figure out how to dyndns with the Extreme.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:49 PM   #6
klunernet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
What router are you using?

I really wanted a Airport Extreme, but I require external access and I use the linksys DYNDNS built in option. I wasn't able to figure out how to dyndns with the Extreme.
My setup is quite complex, but my router is a fritz!box 7340. I think that one supports dyndns, as well. (I get a static ip from my ISP)
Old Aug 11, 2012, 05:44 AM   #7
klunernet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
If you want dyndns, you probably want it because you want to access a device behind the router, right? In such cases it's easier to install dyndns clients on the device ( e.g. a mac)
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:11 PM   #8
xotoxot
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunernet View Post
My setup is quite complex, but my router is a fritz!box 7340. I think that one supports dyndns, as well. (I get a static ip from my ISP)
Hi, I am having similar problems with Bonjour/mDNS: a NAS, printer and airport extreme are all connected to a linksys e3200. The linksys itself is connected by wire to my ADSL modem - the same you have: a fritz!box 7340. Now my iPhone or MAC are unable to find all these devices when they are connected to the fritz!box WiFi (if I connect to the linksys WiFi directly the devices are found). If I reset the fritz!box, for a while my devices are found even if I connect to the WiFi fritz!box, but after a while they 'disappear' again. Once found, I can connect to them even over the fritz!box WiFi.

So I wonder how you got it all to work with your fritz!box....
xotoxot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Mactabulous
macrumors member

I have a similar scenario with regards to network. However, I can stream sound from iTunes to ATV2, but I cannot use Airplay mirroring (MBA 2012).
Mactabulous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:22 PM   #10
fridgeymonster3
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ethernet:
- AppleTV (fully updated)
- Macbook Air (fully updated) Mountain Lion (via Thunderbolt Display)
- Mac Pro iTunes server (fully updated) Regular Lion
- Linksys E2000 Router

WiFi:
- Macbook Air (fully updated) Mountain Lion.

Doesn't see the AppleTV for airplay mirroring, doesn't see the AppleTV in itunes. Internet and network still work. Thoughts on how/if this can be resolved?
Ok, I'm going to walk myself through this. When you have your (A) Apple TV, (B) MP, and (C) MBA wired via ethernet through your Linksys E2000 Router, Airplay works with your MBA.

When you have your (A) Apple TV, and (B) MP wired via ethernet through your Linksys E2000 Router, then Airplay DOES NOT work through your MBA?

I'm wondering if the MBA is causing the issue? On my network, I have a Cisco EA2700 and EA4500 and haven't had any problems. Do you have an iPad, iPhone, or other Airplay-enabled Mac product to test Airplay individually? Best would be another Mac laptop, and test it via ethernet and wifi.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:45 AM   #11
Sean Dempsey
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeymonster3 View Post
Ok, I'm going to walk myself through this. When you have your (A) Apple TV, (B) MP, and (C) MBA wired via ethernet through your Linksys E2000 Router, Airplay works with your MBA.

When you have your (A) Apple TV, and (B) MP wired via ethernet through your Linksys E2000 Router, then Airplay DOES NOT work through your MBA?

I'm wondering if the MBA is causing the issue? On my network, I have a Cisco EA2700 and EA4500 and haven't had any problems. Do you have an iPad, iPhone, or other Airplay-enabled Mac product to test Airplay individually? Best would be another Mac laptop, and test it via ethernet and wifi.
It was almost certainly a multicast issue with the E2000. I have since replaced it with an Airport Extreme (for various reasons) and it seems ok.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:32 AM   #12
terilea
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Mac Air WIFI issues

Im having a problem with my wifi, we recently had our router change but the name stayed the same, im unable to get my computer to understand the difference, i deleted the previous name but my interent still wont work.

On the Acer, windows, i just deleted and reloaded the wifi network.

the one stange thing is i do recieve my emails? but i cant go on Safari
terilea is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater