Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Till 10.7 Lion we had welcome videos in the first startup before setting up your computer we had welcome videos on all OS X versions as far as i remember.

Starting with Lion and Mountain Lion now they killed it. I don't know why but i think it was a great and friendly thing that was like a little ice breaker. Idk maybe it's because i am a fanboy but before switching to Mac 4-5 years ago and trying to get enough money for it i watched them from youtube and i remember my excitement when i was pushing the power button of my first mac the first time.

Especially 10.6 Snow Leopard and Leopard startup welcome videos were really good. I can remember Tiger's also. Any idea why they got rid of it?

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Maybe most people skip it and they dont bother anymore :( most dont even care to read manuals that come with stuff they buy.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Maybe most people skip it and they dont bother anymore :( most dont even care to read manuals that come with stuff they buy.

Manuals? We don't need no stinking manuals! I think the videos served their purpose and are no longer necessary. Perhaps because I've had many Macs over the years, I often skip them even when I'm reinstalling an old OS like Tiger. They aren't as bad a waste of time as the dozens of questions a Windows user gets asked during an install but they aren't really necessary any more. Nowadays anybody can figure out Apple has cool factor without a "cool" video.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I miss these too.

They were like having the handles on the original iMac. It wasn't a necessary thing, Jobs and Ive put them there to make the computer more approachable and friendly. The welcome videos in OS X had the same effect. I've seen people unbox their first Mac and turn it on, only to be greeted by that video instead. It usually brought a smile to their face and just made them more excited.

Maybe with the management change in Apple, we'll start to get stuff like that again. The welcome videos always struck me as something Jobs and Ive would have come up with, maybe we'll see them once more now that the latter is in charge of UI/experience stuff.

-SC

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I miss them too :(

I didn't even know they existed until I bought my Mac... I remember the absolute excitement when I first pushed the power button on my first Mac three years age (I was 16), and been blown away by the welcome video (Leopard). It was so cool!!!

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I believe the lack of videos is due to Apple wanting to keep the download sizes to a minimum. The OS used to be on DVDs where they had more space to use.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I believe the lack of videos is due to Apple wanting to keep the download sizes to a minimum. The OS used to be on DVDs where they had more space to use.

I agree, this is a good guess.

I miss them too, but it's something most people only ever see once, so I guess it's not a huge loss.

zObsidian

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
What they should do is after OS X loads the first time, it brings up Safari and connects to a "Welcome" page on Apple's website that steams a video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.