Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DocDoom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Looking to get a iPhone 5, and currently Sprint has the cheapest plans for me. Are the Data speeds really that slow? some say barely usable. can anyone comment on this

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Looking to get a iPhone 5, and currently Sprint has the cheapest plans for me. Are the Data speeds really that slow? some say barely usable. can anyone comment on this

Sprint shouldn't even be considered a smartphone carrier. Just pay more and go to Verizon or AT&T. My computer from 2000 running Windows Me can surf the web faster than a flagship smartphone on Sprint's network.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Verizon and AT&T are the only even halfway decent carriers. Sprint data speeds are absolutely HORRENDOUS. I actually disliked my iPhone 4S because Sprint was just so so bad.

I'm now on AT&T with the iPhone 5, and I just love it. Coverage is good, data speeds are amazing (even on HSPA+), and my bill is actually cheaper than on Sprint because I use Google Voice to text people who don't have an iMessage so no need for an unlimited data plan.

RCC1028

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
It depends on your area. I had an Iphone 4 on Verizon, and an Iphone 4S on Sprint. I now have an Iphone 5 on Sprint. There was very little difference between Verizon and Sprint for me. I use WIFI a lot, so it doesn't bother me.

Some areas I go to the speeds are really good, better than I get at home. Ask around. Sprint does pretty well in some areas, and they are saving me a ton of money. Almost half what I paid on Verizon.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Saw some screenshots of Sprint's LTE service in a thread a while ago. Most of them manage around 20+ Mbps, not too bad IMO. 3G, on the other hand, is totally different story.

mattroman246

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
spend the extra money for AT&T or Verizon, you won't regret it. See if you can get a FAN discount for your bill from your employer or school

oneprouddaddy

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
Texas
I have sprint because of unlimited data. It's great not having to worry about data with streaming of NFL and College FB games but the 3G is slow and I travel a lot so it doesn't help with limited connectivity, that being said I have around 22mb downloads with LTE in San Antonio and and love the lower prices than any carrier but I doubt I keep it withy travels after this contract.

ucdesai

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2010
Sprint 3G service has improved considerably since june this year. I used to get around 300-400kbps here in dc area. Now with network vision improvements I get around 1 -1.5 Mbps consistently.

For more coverage on LTE and NV go to forums section on www.s4gru.com

YoungHov718

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2012
If you live in area that will get lte then you should have no problems.. Your 3g speeds should have increased due to Nv. I live in NY my 3g speeds have increased and i have spotty lte and it has not launched yet.

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
if it's any indication, i'm looking to do a Transfer of Liability away from Sprint. I've had my iPhone 5 since release day and am moving back to AT&T..

TheSandman2236

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
DO NOT GET SPRINT

Read this letter I sent to sprint -- and PLEASE check out the Sprint iPhone 5 forums. IT IS A NIGHTMARE. I sent this blurb to Dan@sprint.com -- with some resolution, but now we're on AT&T -- AND HAPPY.

I waited 8 hours in line for the iPhone 5, I switched from (a 4 year
customer) Verizon hoping I could keep my unlimited data by giving you
guys a shot. Boy was I wrong. (And I wish I wasn't, I wanted to keep
using Sprint) I canceled my contract within 30 days of use.

Our first problem: Our brand new iPhone 5's were scratched brand new out
of the box, Apple had no problem sending us over-night replacements but
there was a larger problem. Our local sprint store had no idea how to
activate them because they did not include SIM cards. A day or so later
we informed that they had been sent SIM cards and we could now activate
our phones.

We thought the problem was solved, it was not. upon activating the
phones we could no longer retrieve 2G/3G Data, only LTE data in our
area. There was no answer for this. So now I had 4 iPhones (one for
myself, one for my wife, and now our non-working replacements). After 6
hours of trying to trouble shoot the problem the assistant store manager
told us to come back the next day to now swap out for ANOTHER set of
brand new phones...we now would have 6 iPhone 5's. After exchanging our
original phones -- and sending the replacements back to Apple we now had
2 phones that we thought would work.

Our Second and final problem: After a week or so we started noticing a
larger more frustrating problem. We could no longer make phone nor
retrieve data from our phones. After multiple attempts to work with your
level 1 and level 2 CSR team we had zero resolutions because they could
no longer contact us (as I could not receive phone calls.) I was plagued
by the error message of "Your account could not be validated", "Error 16
Switch 394", and in most cases the phone "canceling" the call before it
even started the timer. To make matters worse, I could only get .01 KBPS
on a regular basis. After numerous network resets, full restores, and
PRL updates there was still no resolution to our problem. These errors
would happen on a regular basis 4-5 times a day. Sprint customer support
had no answer of to why this was happening or how to fix it. I run a
small web design business and this is how I interact with my customers,
which is unacceptable.

This was the straw the broke the camels back. I was out on business in
Chicago all last week (and having the same issues as above), I would
have to use Facetime over Wi-FI in order to call my Wife here in
atlanta. On my way back my flight was delayed by an hour, and I was
unable to inform my wife of the issue or where/when to meet her. I was
stranded at the airport for 2 hours trying to find my wife.

I spoke to the team leader at the store in our local area
and was given the "I'm sorry, but you're past the 14 day return policy".
They had me call the retention department to see what they could do to
help. All they could offer is to refund my activation fees and Apple
Care. Not my service plan that I paid for (for the month), nor my
phones. They wanted me to surrender my phones (not return for my $625)
in order to waive in ETF fee so I could sign up for another carrier to
run my business properly. So now I'm stuck with $750 worth of ETF fees,
and 2 phones (worth $625) that I can't use. Plus $443 worth the first
bill I paid. So now I'm effectively screwed out of $1,818. What am I
supposed to do?

tl;dr
We signed a new contract with Sprint having iPhone 5's, got screwed, and now we're happy on AT&T.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
Sprint just plain sucks. I know several people in my area that jumped ship from AT&T to Sprint because they advertise unlimited data which sounds very attractive to the unsuspecting soul. but now the same people are hating life due to their damn near dial-up speeds they have on their phones that are running on the "now network". lol

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I have to iphone 5 on Sprint. In my area there is no LTE right now so I have to use 3G. I guess my experience has been different than those that have posted so far. My phone is fairly fast and I never have a problem with it taking too long to load unless I am in some of the older buildings on campus. Those seem to have really bad reception for some reason but it is like that for all networks not just Sprint. So far I'm happy with my Sprint service

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
As always you need to check in areas that matter to you. Topics like this vary by location.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
Had Sprint 14 years and moved from them after the iPhone 4s because of the UNLIMITED data was UNUSABLE data. I did the run around with my 4 iPhones to Sprint and Apple stores and put in network tickets until I realized that was part of Sprint's game to get you passed the 14 day return period.

Filed a BBB complaint, got EFTs waived except for 1 and ran to Verizon.

My area is the SF bay area, Las Vegas (second home) and Atlanta
(my playground). The SF area was the worst.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
LTE was rolled out in Boston last month. It's pretty good.

Attachments

• iPhone+image+on+2012-11-05+at+18-59-29.png
    iPhone+image+on+2012-11-05+at+18-59-29.png
    554.2 KB · Views: 73

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

depends on your area... here in austin sprints 3g is .6mpbs to .8mpbs... verizon is .6-1mbps... really not much better. LTE is though :p 50 mbps.

So
A) just test out a sprint phone at your store.. run the speedtest app..
B) see if LTE is coming to your area soon.

also how much data do you consume monthly? if you dont use more than a few gigs... just get att or verizon

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
The bottom line? If Sprint has LTE in your area, then go ahead. If only 3G, I wouldn't even think about it. I had sprint in San Clemente CA. and it absolutely sucks. Dog slow. Shame too because they have better voice coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.