Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
I use Microsoft's RDP to connect to my Windows desktop at work.

So far, for connecting to my Macs (from each other), I've been using the built-in Screen Sharing.

I've noticed the MS app resizes my Windows desktop to suit the monitor I'm viewing it on, just as if the computer was attached to it. If I'm on my Thunderbolt I get Windows at 2560*1440, and if I'm on my MBA it runs at 1366x768. The other thing is that the clipboard "just works (at least for text)."

Using Screen Sharing I can only run at the resolution of the remote Mac, or scale it down if I'm running it on a lower resolution screen. And to use the clipboard I have to fuss with toolbar buttons.

Are any of the 3rd-party Mac Apps more capable, especially of resizing the desktop to fit properly - not scaled up or down, but actually a proper driver for the size? The research I've done seems either inconclusive (not mentioned) or negative (definitely doesn't)

Thanks

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
Are any of the 3rd-party Mac Apps more capable, especially of resizing the desktop to fit properly - not scaled up or down, but actually a proper driver for the size? The research I've done seems either inconclusive (not mentioned) or negative (definitely doesn't)

Thanks

Logmein resizes the desktop, and it's decently fast with my 4mpbs upload at home.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Logmein resizes the desktop, and it's decently fast with my 4mpbs upload at home.

Thanks - I've got Logmein Free, and it (for my macs anyway) won't resize the desktop, although that option is there when controlling Windows.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks - I've got Logmein Free, and it (for my macs anyway) won't resize the desktop, although that option is there when controlling Windows.

I'm connected to my Mac from a Windows PC and using Chrome for the logmein website. If I click Options in the toolbar, I have the screen resolution drop down on the right side. I've attached a screenshot.

Attachments

• Logmein.png
    Logmein.png
    132 KB · Views: 70

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
I'm connected to my Mac from a Windows PC and using Chrome for the logmein website. If I click Options in the toolbar, I have the screen resolution drop down on the right side. I've attached a screenshot.

Yes this is true - however it won't offer options that aren't on the original screen - for example, one of my Minis is connected to an HDMI monitor, and only offers 1920*1080, while my Retina offers lots of choices, but only in 16:10 aspect ratio that doesn't match my monitor.

The Microsoft Remote client matches the options on the controlling computer, rather than the one being controlled. It's a much better solution than LogMeIn or OSX screen sharing, but it's unfortunately only for controlling Windows PCs.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It's a much better solution than LogMeIn or OSX screen sharing, but it's unfortunately only for controlling Windows PCs.
As a frequent RDP user I can say that it's not better when RDP doesn't properly adjust to the resolution of the client. Good luck in your search. I haven't found anything but avoiding scaling hasn't been a priority for me.

sdunfee

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Mikogo as Desktop Sharing Solution

Hi guys,

I recommend trying out Mikogo if you want free desktop sharing. It's definitely the easiest option, and is pretty much the only one that has an HTML feature so you can just operate it in your browser. You can also use the free apps for iOS/Andrew.

Check out http://www.mikogo.com

Spencer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.