Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
To those who have noted the small nicks and gouges in the back - I have one really apparent one and ~5 smaller ones. I'm really, really debating what to do; likely these will be covered up by a skin that I put on, as I don't think I'll leave it naked. To those with the same issue -- did you replace it via your carrier/store, or did you go to Apple? And what were the results?

Mankind gets sadder and sadder everyday.

Unbelievable.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Mankind gets sadder and sadder everyday.

Unbelievable.

What? Maybe Apple should discount these phones since they have visible dings/dents/scratches. Apple would never think of doing that, but the little guy should be expected to deal with it. Come on! Fix the QA Apple (if there is any on these phones.)

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
To those who have noted the small nicks and gouges in the back - I have one really apparent one and ~5 smaller ones. I'm really, really debating what to do; likely these will be covered up by a skin that I put on, as I don't think I'll leave it naked. To those with the same issue -- did you replace it via your carrier/store, or did you go to Apple? And what were the results?

Please tell me you didn't return it for this small mark? Is this the really apparent one? This is so small in contrast to the phone size. Anytime humans are making something it is not going to be 100% perfect, no matter how much money you spend on it. If the phone has everything else perfect I would not risk turning it in over an issue this small that you will probably cover with a skin anyway.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
What? Maybe Apple should discount these phones since they have visible dings/dents/scratches. Apple would never think of doing that, but the little guy should be expected to deal with it. Come on! Fix the QA Apple (if there is any on these phones.)

Or you can vote with your wallet. Don't buy their products. You have multiple other choices out there.

camillecairney

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
My 32gb white came with a strange chip/fracture in the screen with no other visible damage

Last edited:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I'm making things up? How about this note I can easily stick into it?

OMG, my phone has a 200 micrometer gap around the screen? AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Ahhh.gif

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
OMG, my phone has a 200 micrometer gap around the screen? AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

When I press certain buttons and hold the phone up to my ear I can hear VOICES!!!

It scared the crap out of me, but Apple hooked me up with a new one!

:apple:

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
I got the white 32gb at an apple store on Oct. 24th, and upon opening in the store there was eensy weensy, minuscule, too small to even be called a "chip" on the front bezel. It was so small it didn't bother me and ignored it. Otherwise pristine. I've had it for a week but was in the incipio frequency from day one, and no new marks/scratches. I'm debating going naked, but I'll want to get a back clear protector first. I'm imagining that apple logo will scuff right up!

Last edited:

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I got the white 32gb at an apple store on Oct. 24th, and upon opening in the store there was eensy weensy, minuscule, too small to even be called a "chip" on the front bezel. It was so small it didn't bother me and ignored it. Otherwise pristine. I've had it for a week but was in the incipio frequency from day one, and no new marks/scratches. I'm debating going naked, but I'll want to get a back clear protector first. I'm imagining that apple logo will scuff right up!

For Pete's sake man, get a grip on yourself and keep your clothes on good fella~!!!

cang87

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
I got my device on the release date after waiting in the line till 11:30. I realized the small scratches at the top of the device same as the guys who uploaded photos. Nothing bigger or smaller than that.

I changed the device for 2 times and always had different scratches but not a clean one! Then finally I arrested a Genius in the store and made him keep on bringing me new devices till I get a clean one. :) Guys; believe me I had a clean device in 3rd or 4th box! The Genius was also schocked and forgot his duties and keep on bringing new devices to open even before I ask for another! :)

I don't understand the guys questioning if it's worth to change the device for a small scratch. If you are buying something new for min. 600$, of course you will expect something BRAND new! Don't limit your expectations and accept it. Keep on defending your rights and get the real value which you have been already promised!

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
For Pete's sake man, get a grip on yourself and keep your clothes on good fella~!!!

Nice out of proportion reply. Keep my clothes on? Can you try and be any more condescending for me, please? I'm not loosing my ****, don't loose yours over my perceived need for a grip. ;)

This is a thread asking for details about the quality control of white iphones (see first post), I simply described what my phone looked like out of the box, said I saw something that DID NOT bother me, and said that I use a case. I guess I'll try and keep my clothes on now? :p

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Iphone5 isn't constructed to withstand scuffs, dents etc.
Of course everyone wants a scuff free iphone5 outof the box, however sometimes the marks are so small its not worth your time and effort. Even in most cases this iphone5 will gets scuffs and marks.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Is it me or is the same thing being said over and over again on this particular thread regarding accepting cosmetic issues etc

Please allow me to finally clarify !

It's been settled that the iPhone 5 marks up more easier than the previous iPhones in particular the antenna banding.

However it's fair and reasonable to expect a pristine device out of the box.

Period.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Just bought the black and slate iPhone and it came with this discolored band by the antenna and a bunch of nicks. Tried returning it to the 5th Avenue store but the two black iPhones they had were even worse with 3-8 nicks on them each. Went to the Grand Central store and they tried to say how the nicks were normal and such. Finally they returned my iPhone for a white. Everything is good besides a few minor scratches on the silver bezel. I paid full price of $650 plus tax and I understand when people say they want a mint phone but on the other hand this scuffgate is getting out of hand. I can live with a few scratches. Aluminum dents easily and the color can chip and scratch easily. I would say even though the black looks great it just is more prone and shows scratches more.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
Dropped my phone on a tile floor and it got a scuff in the side, though nothing terrible. Things happen and the phone will scuff. It is going to be ok, folks.

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
I bought mine last week, it's got about 5 minuscule scratches on the bezel, which I can live with but then it also has this huge nick on the top part of the bezel and a scratch next to it. It seems like it's been scratched by whatever machine they use in the factory.

Got it replaced, the replacement isn't perfect either but definitely not as bad as the first one. If I get my magnifying glass and look around, I'll probably find more cosmetic issues.

I also looked at the display phones at the Apple Store and it seems that most of them got some cosmetic issues of some sort, especially if you compare it with the iPhone 4/4S.

It's just disappointing since Apple is known for its quality products. All the Apple products I bought in the past have been flawless, at least the scratches/dents/nicks/etc were made by me, not them.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
this page has way too few photos. come on people.... A little less conversation, a little more action....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.