Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crotach

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
Damn, that's quite disappointing, but thanks for doing the test!

It just means the problem doesn't lie in Intel's MRC code, but somewhere else, so the fix is likely going to take longer. :(

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Is it time to cancel orders? I've got a 2.6 mid-Mini coming next week with plans to use as HTPC with HDMI-out to a Samsung TV. Very disappointing :(

asimmd

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
UK
Well I just ordered mine after speaking to Apple UK.

They do not think it is a Global Problem,but if I have any probs
I can take it back.

As it is my first Mac,I would like it to be trouble free.

Thing is,if it is a driver or hardware problem,how come some
users are not having any problems at all?

I'll let you know.

Alan

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
You really believe that Apple doesn't test these machines extensively before sending them into mass production? They've been tested for months before they ever see daylight.

yeah and they most likely saw this and deemed it acceptable since the blackout is under a second and everything works after a second or 2 (the most common symptom) . They knew that mac rumors and other sites would start a thread like this while they work on a fix. In a few weeks to a month a fix would come out.

This black out is annoying but everyone I have had is under 2 seconds and the machine goes back to normal. Now for some people and certain work projects a 1 or 2 second blackout is not acceptable. In fact I have 3 new base models that I will upgrade and sell on ebay and I am waiting on the fix since I don't want a customer telling me I have sold them a lemon.

pongo99

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Just had my first experience of this problem.

Screen went black then showed static for about 2 seconds, then all back to normal.

It's certainly odd, and annoying, but if infrequent is not so difficult to live with until Apple get on to making some kind of software update.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Well I just ordered mine after speaking to Apple UK.

They do not think it is a Global Problem,but if I have any probs
I can take it back.

As it is my first Mac,I would like it to be trouble free.

Thing is,if it is a driver or hardware problem,how come some
users are not having any problems at all?

I'll let you know.

Alan

my guess is the display matters the port matters and the task matters.

Has anyone done this offline?

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ON THE INTERNET.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Just had my first experience of this problem.

Screen went black then showed static for about 2 seconds, then all back to normal.

It's certainly odd, and annoying, but if infrequent is not so difficult to live with until Apple get on to making some kind of software update.

I wonder what triggers the "static" version of this. I only ever got the blackouts, and not even every day. I'm kind of jealous, I'm curious about the static! *stomps foot*

:p

rshock

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
My symptoms definitely last longer than 1-2 seconds. Usually my monitor goes straight to a static screen (though, I guess it might go blank for 1 second before hand). The static screen does not correct itself. Or rather, I haven't waited long enough for it to correct itself. The most I have waited is 1-2mins.

If I press the Power button on the back for a short time, that usually clears up the static and gives me just a black screen. If I then press the Power button 1-2 more times (always a short press), and Alt-Tab away from whatever application I was using, I can usually get the desktop back.

I'm not sure which of the steps is getting me back the desktop (i.e. Alt-Tab or mulitple Power button presses) or if it's the combination, but I do know in order to at least get the snow off the screen, the first Power button press is required.

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
Is it time to cancel orders? I've got a 2.6 mid-Mini coming next week with plans to use as HTPC with HDMI-out to a Samsung TV. Very disappointing :(

I'm using my 2.3 i7 in a very similar set-up as your intended role and I've yet to see the issue manifest itself on my rig. You can return the unit within 14 days if you're not happy, which is why I'm going to be watching mine like a hawk as often as I can for the next ten to twelve days!

Makavillin

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
yeah and they most likely saw this and deemed it acceptable since the blackout is under a second and everything works after a second or 2 (the most common symptom) . They knew that mac rumors and other sites would start a thread like this while they work on a fix. In a few weeks to a month a fix would come out.

This black out is annoying but everyone I have had is under 2 seconds and the machine goes back to normal. Now for some people and certain work projects a 1 or 2 second blackout is not acceptable. In fact I have 3 new base models that I will upgrade and sell on ebay and I am waiting on the fix since I don't want a customer telling me I have sold them a lemon.

Wish my symptoms were like this. Mine displays static/snow or black screen. When it's snowy, I have to power cycle my receiver to get my video back.

Jig3n

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Yesterday I connected the hdmi straight to my 1080i tv without the adapter for most of the day and didn't experience any blackouts or static even once. As soon as I started to use the stock adapter again, the problem came back almost right away. Maybe the adapter is the culprit.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Yesterday I connected the hdmi straight to my 1080i tv without the adapter for most of the day and didn't experience any blackouts or static even once. As soon as I started to use the stock adapter again, the problem came back almost right away. Maybe the adapter is the culprit.

I'm using a DVI-HDMI cable, bypassing the adapter, and I do occasionally get short blackouts. Apparently it never happens with MiniDP, though.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
I have seen it with 4 displays now

I posted already about trying to find a lower end display with at least tolerable display quality (without success so far)

However all 4 (dell,samsung,hp,lg) have exhibited the black screen/green static issue. It really seems to be random except is seems anecdotally to occur most when playing video.

To that point it, it looks just like some issues I had early on with my samsung TV and a couple of Blu Ray players. Long story short the problem there was related to handshake issue which took a firmware update to the TV to resolve.

Don't know how useful this info is, but thought I'd add to the data

Garden4Gods

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
The more I go back and forth between the Mini and iMac forum, the more I think about buying a PC.

I honestly think it's terrible for this issue to be occurring for so many on the new Mini considering how much they cost.

God knows what I'll read about when the new iMacs are released.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
The more I go back and forth between the Mini and iMac forum, the more I think about buying a PC.

I honestly think it's terrible for this issue to be occurring for so many on the new Mini considering how much they cost.

God knows what I'll read about when the new iMacs are released.

In all honesty, this issue is likely present for less than 1% of new mini owners. It just seems more widespread since all people with issues gather in just a couple places.

Makavillin

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Another frustrating part of my day. I call Apple Support and the rep had no idea the new Mini had HDMI lol.

"Oh let me have a look, well..... The only way to get HDMI is through one of our adapters".

Might have to take it back to the Apple Store and see what they say.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
This reminds me of my experience with AppleTV 2nd gen when they first came out. There was definitely an HDMI handshake issue between the ATV and my admittedly somewhat older projection Toshiba TV. Sometimes I'd have to pull the power cord from the TV thereby re-forcing the handshake, before ATV would finally play HDCP protected content from Netflix.

Eventually the problem completely went away, after a few months, probably after a firmware update.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
This reminds me of my experience with AppleTV 2nd gen when they first came out. There was definitely an HDMI handshake issue between the ATV and my admittedly somewhat older projection Toshiba TV. Sometimes I'd have to pull the power cord from the TV thereby re-forcing the handshake, before ATV would finally play HDCP protected content from Netflix.

Eventually the problem completely went away, after a few months, probably after a firmware update.

I had that issue with my ATV2. Turned out my HDMI cable had gone bad. Having worked in the cable TV industry for a number of years, it was surprising to find. A digital cable shouldn't just go bad over time. Strange but replacing the HDMI cable fixed the problem and I never had an issue again.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Two other pieces to add to the pile this morning.

I took my mini to the genius bar this morning.

The initial reaction was typical (i must be doing something wrong). So to try and demonstrate the issue, I hooked up my mini to the sony TV they have for the apple TV to demonstrate the issue and fortunately it occurred almost immediately.

This of course set off a flurry of activity with them checking various things including cable swaps and looking at the power save functions on both the mini and the TV (even though I explained I tried all of that already)

Finally after it did it again and they had changed everything, they told me that they would open an incident nationally and offered to refund my purchase. I told them that others were experiencing the same issue (and pointed them here) and that I wondered if I would not just end up with another mini doing the same thing.

I decided to hold on to the one I have after the store manager notated my issue and told me that until it's resolved, I had the option of returning it, even if it was outside the 14 day window.

The other data point is that after reading here, i tried a minidisplayport to HDMI adapter I had for my mbp already. Short story, after about 30 minutes, black screen:(

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
I had that issue with my ATV2. Turned out my HDMI cable had gone bad. Having worked in the cable TV industry for a number of years, it was surprising to find. A digital cable shouldn't just go bad over time. Strange but replacing the HDMI cable fixed the problem and I never had an issue again.

I was aware that it could have been the HDMI cable. Initially I ended up switching b/w about 3 different HDMI cables, all of which had given me no problems before or since. All of the cables would eventually give me the same problems. And then, one day, probably after one or two ATV software updates, the problems went away.

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Just in case anyone is curious, I am not experiencing the blackouts/snow with my video connection (base 2012 mini). I am using a Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. I purchased the adapter from Monoprice. If you already have access to one, you may want to give it a try. If not, I recommend getting one. They're not too expensive and it may come in handy if you ever want to use two displays.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

The only problem I am seeing is with the washed out whites (documented in another thread). I hope that if/when the HDMI blanking is corrected, so will the color problem.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Two other pieces to add to the pile this morning.

I took my mini to the genius bar this morning.

The initial reaction was typical (i must be doing something wrong). So to try and demonstrate the issue, I hooked up my mini to the sony TV they have for the apple TV to demonstrate the issue and fortunately it occurred almost immediately.

This of course set off a flurry of activity with them checking various things including cable swaps and looking at the power save functions on both the mini and the TV (even though I explained I tried all of that already)

Finally after it did it again and they had changed everything, they told me that they would open an incident nationally and offered to refund my purchase. I told them that others were experiencing the same issue (and pointed them here) and that I wondered if I would not just end up with another mini doing the same thing.

I decided to hold on to the one I have after the store manager notated my issue and told me that until it's resolved, I had the option of returning it, even if it was outside the 14 day window.

The other data point is that after reading here, i tried a minidisplayport to HDMI adapter I had for my mbp already. Short story, after about 30 minutes, black screen:(

Great work sno1... thank you! That raises RED FLAGS if the miniDP-HDMI has the same issue... indicates it is NOT just the HDMI port, and traces it back to the HD4000. Now, the issue is whether it's HD4000 hardware or firmware. I'm canceling my order today.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Wouldnt the easiest test be for someone to run Windows in BootCamp. If there are no black screens, then it's a driver issue, if black screen then likely a hardware issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.