Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Another thing that annoys me about Google. I tried to buy my first Android app today and it wants my passport and address documentation. I didn't need to give Apple that to buy apps. Kind of bad when you think about it.

Seriously? :eek: What were you buying? 'The Dummies Guide to IED's'?

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Think about it. If the Android market is 5 times the size of Apple's and growing month on month, its obvious where the money is. Watch this space. I think we are going to see something spectacular.

LOL, is this a serious post? Have you not read all the news for like the past year about how many devs are either stopping or have stopped making Android apps because they make literally nothing? You have it backwards, all the money is in the App store, not the Play store. Here is just one of many articles on the subject

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/3168...lopers-leaving-android-apple.htm#.UJgD1LQvqyw

Lampmeister

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
Fort Worth
I don't see why this issue even matters. So what if Android offers more apps? Even if they do, what have you got...a crappy Android device with a bunch of apps! :D

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
most android devices has different versions. some on 2.3 some on ICS and very little on jelly bean.
even chrome browser for android only support from 4.0.

In android piracy is much more easier. you can download apk and copy it to your device.
in iOS you have to jailbreak (not avilable for every version and phone) and then you have to change permissions on the folders - much more complicated for normal users.

so no I don't think android devs will make more money in the future. it will all be the same maybe even lower.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
LOL, is this a serious post? Have you not read all the news for like the past year about how many devs are either stopping or have stopped making Android apps because they make literally nothing? You have it backwards, all the money is in the App store, not the Play store. Here is just one of many articles on the subject

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/3168...lopers-leaving-android-apple.htm#.UJgD1LQvqyw

You know that there is a slightly difference between a survey asking interest on developing for a platform and actually developing for that platform, don't you?

Can you name those many developers that have stopped developing for Android?

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
In android piracy is much more easier. you can download apk and copy it to your device.
in iOS you have to jailbreak (not avilable for every version and phone) and then you have to change permissions on the folders - much more complicated for normal users.

Since June Google has started to offer encryption keys to developers so the paid app can only be used with the account it was purchased from.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Since June Google has started to offer encryption keys to developers so the paid app can only be used with the account it was purchased from.

I'm not android user but my friends downloading 24/7. not paying for any app in the play store. it's sad.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I'm not android user but my friends downloading 24/7. not paying for any app in the play store. it's sad.

I hope you dont share any files with your friends

If they are just downloading APK files from the net I dread to think what type of nasties are in them

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Another thing that annoys me about Google. I tried to buy my first Android app today and it wants my passport and address documentation. I didn't need to give Apple that to buy apps. Kind of bad when you think about it.

That is rather unusual. I never had that when I tried to buy apps. Just asked for me credit card info the first time. After that it remembers it.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
This whole argument makes no sense, again. Android does not "sell phones" at all. Samsung, LG, HTC, etc sell phones.

This is like saying Windows sold more PC's than Apple. You're comparing a software that is available on hundreds of devices VS an exclusive package of hardware and software that is only available from Apple.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm saying this argument, as always, makes no freaking sense. I don't get how it is this hard to understand even after decades of comparing Windows VS Apple.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
You know that there is a slightly difference between a survey asking interest on developing for a platform and actually developing for that platform, don't you?

Can you name those many developers that have stopped developing for Android?

Do a Google search yourself. There are a ton of articles on this subject.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
There are at least a dozen different articles there. Learn to read.

The one that has to learn to read is you. None of them apart the Mika Mobile case talks about developers abandoning Android, and Mika Mobile was a very special case.

And still waiting those many Android developers that have abandoned the platform. And you know why tyou are incapable of naming them, because you don't have nothing, only FUD

Enjoy your hatred

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
With Android selling 5 times the number of phones in Q3 of 2012 than Apple, that can only mean one thing. Android apps are going to grow in number so fast that Apple's app store is going to look puny by comparison.

So? It means:

1. ...that you can find what you need for either platform.

2. ... you can chose then between 2000+ torch/flashlight apps rather then the mediocre 1000 you have now for iOS.

If the Android market is 5 times the size of Apple's and growing month on month, its obvious where the money is.

Android is already bigger then iOS for a looong time. But still.... I know one app developer that has the same app for iOS and Android. Even though there are more Android phones out there, he makes way more money with iOS. Not sure why, seems iOS users are more into buying apps.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
There was once a time when larger screen devices was a deal breaker (Hello iPhone 5, and hello iPad Mini that can apparently be used with one hand according to Apple).
Theres a difference in using with one hand and holding it with one hand. I don't really care about the whole one hand usage thing but im just saying.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Theres a difference in using with one hand and holding it with one hand. I don't really care about the whole one hand usage thing but im just saying.

Right. And Apple makes the distinction in the video.

In the official iPad Mini video, Ive explicitly says "...you can still pick it up and easily use it with one hand..." Easily. Earlier in the video, they make the distinction that you can hold it with one hand, but at the 2:10 mark, they're clearly talking about using it with one hand.

Video is here: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/#video-ipad-mini-features)

Going by that reasoning, any device can be used one handed, yet according to their iPhone 5 campaign, one of the main talking points is that anything larger than a 4" smartphone is unusable with one hand.

So either the iPad Mini can be used one handed (like it says in the video) and therefore so can other smaller smartphones, or nothing above the iPhone 5 screen size (like it says in the iPhone campaigns) can be used one handed in which case the iPad Mini video is a lie.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Right. And Apple makes the distinction in the video.

In the official iPad Mini video, Ive explicitly says "...you can still pick it up and easily use it with one hand..." Easily. Earlier in the video, they make the distinction that you can hold it with one hand, but at the 2:10 mark, they're clearly talking about using it with one hand.

Video is here: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/#video-ipad-mini-features)

Going by that reasoning, any device can be used one handed, yet according to their iPhone 5 campaign, one of the main talking points is that anything larger than a 4" smartphone is unusable with one hand.

So either the iPad Mini can be used one handed (like it says in the video) and therefore so can other smaller smartphones, or nothing above the iPhone 5 screen size (like it says in the iPhone campaigns) can be used one handed in which case the iPad Mini video is a lie.

So Apple is contradicting themselves theres nothing new in that, they always have. Even if Apple said that you still can't use the whole display with one hand while holding it. I think what they mean is that with the small borders you can manipulate some of the display you can't do that with the full size iPad.

The reason Apple was campaigning the whole one handed thing with iPhone 5 was so they could give a reason for why they only made the display taller the actual reason is because every app in the appstore would have to be remade for the iPhone 5. Making stretching the apps is easy .

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
So Apple is contradicting themselves theres nothing new in that, they always have. Even if Apple said that you still can't use the whole display with one hand while holding it. I think what they mean is that with the small borders you can manipulate some of the display you can't do that with the full size iPad.

The reason Apple was campaigning the whole one handed thing with iPhone 5 was so they could give a reason for why they only made the display taller the actual reason is because every app in the appstore would have to be remade for the iPhone 5. Making stretching the apps is easy .

Agreed.

Some see Apple's decision regarding screen size as a huge plus, and indeed there are benefits to keeping everything tidy, but their fear of fragmentation, in my opinion, holds them back from really exploring new hardware and software.

jimmyb5374

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
berkshire,U.K.
This is my opinion ,not based on scientific data / theorem or dubious web links ;

Apple fear making bigger devices with resizable widgets and customisable setup and open development, purely on the basis they know unless they put in all the work or supersize the processor and ram the devices will LAG , and apple simply can't have that , or they will have devices with no distinction from android than better build quality and a certain fruit based imprint on the back

Just my opinion , but think about it, , its either commercial (profit margin / component costs) or pure fear they will have a lot of work to do not to end up like a one horse android (trick) pony.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.