Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:42 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Fourth-Generation iPad Models Now 'In Stock' at Many Online Apple Stores

Following last Friday's launch of the fourth-generation iPad, Apple has apparently already come close to meeting demand for the new device. As noticed by 9to5Mac, Apple is now listing all Wi-Fi models of the new iPad as "in stock" in the company's U.S. online store.

The immediate availability appears to extend to a number of Apple's online stores around the world, including the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, and Singapore. Shipping estimates remain at 3-5 business days in most of Apple's other online stores for countries where the device has launched, but it is not unusual for changes in Apple's shipping estimates to roll out to different regions on slightly different schedules.

The iPad mini remains in short supply, with Apple continuing to quote shipping estimates of two weeks for new orders of Wi-Fi models. Cellular-capable models appear to remain on track, with Apple quoting "Mid November" in the United States and "Late November" in other countries.

Article Link: Fourth-Generation iPad Models Now 'In Stock' at Many Online Apple Stores
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:45 AM   #2
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

I think people who want iPads mostly have them and are satisfied with their current models. It may foreshadow a slower upgrade cycle on iPads versus iPhones.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:45 AM   #3
gregwyattjr
macrumors regular

Can't wait to visit the Apple Store and see how much better it is than my 3rd generation.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:48 AM   #4
stewartlittle
macrumors regular

I walked into the local Walmart last night (Markham) and they had several iPad 4's. I picked one up no problem. 498.00. Also note, I bought the Smart CASE, and it was 49.00 as opposed to 55.00 at Apple. Buying power of Wally World is strong my friends.
stewartlittle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:50 AM   #5
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

Thanksgiving is two weeks away

holiday sales needs to start kicking in high gear in two weeks.

I bet iPad mini will be in stock in two weeks as well.
shanmugam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:55 AM   #6
ifij775
macrumors regular

Supply

It seems like this incremental upgrade may be easier to build, which could help AAPL meet demand.
ifij775 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Kenrik
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwyattjr View Post
Can't wait to visit the Apple Store and see how much better it is than my 3rd generation.
Not that much actually, no noticeable changes in size/weight and the Games I tested did not have noticeable increases in frame rates. Interesting considering that the GPU is so much better. Actually, the iPad Mini ran "MetalStorm" at a much higher framerate then the iPad 4th gen (though it looked worse due to resolution).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post
It seems like this incremental upgrade may be easier to build, which could help AAPL meet demand.
They pretty much only changed the logic board/port. So yeah, 90% of the parts are the same.
Kenrik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:57 AM   #8
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwyattjr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrik View Post
Not that much actually, no noticeable changes in size/weight and the Games I tested did not have noticeable increases in frame rates. Interesting considering that the GPU is so much better. Actually, the iPad Mini ran "MetalStorm" at a much higher framerate then the iPad 4th gen (though it looked worse due to resolution).
In a few months you may notice the difference more, as games take advantage of the new chip.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Kenrik
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post
holiday sales needs to start kicking in high gear in two weeks.

I bet iPad mini will be in stock in two weeks as well.
Possibly they only "Nearly" sold out of them.
Kenrik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:58 AM   #10
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
It is Magical!

It is truly magical how every single new product Apple releases goes out of stock very shortly after going on sale, creating a frenzy for people who want to be lucky enough to acquire one - only to be followed by adequate stock being available very shortly thereafter.

But one thing we can be certain of - this is NOT a marketing ploy by Apple to inflate demand.

/s
iGrip is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:59 AM   #11
ifij775
macrumors regular

Quote:
Not that much actually, no noticeable changes in size/weight
If they can drop the weight, the larger iPad will fly off the shelf.
ifij775 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:59 AM   #12
Kenrik
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by croooow View Post
In a few months you may notice the difference more, as games take advantage of the new chip.
True but in a few months we will be closer to the iPad 5th gen. I think the next update will focus on size/weight and that is more important to me as a 3rd gen owner.
Kenrik is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:01 AM   #13
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That and demand for the 4th iPad is not as big as when the 3rd came out. People see it as an incremental upgrade (the new chip is quite a bit faster, so that is debatable)

Many people who wanted a retina iPad already got one, the lightning port is not much of a draw.

But it should be a good, steady seller for the holiday season.

----------

Quote:
True but in a few months we will be closer to the iPad 5th gen. I think the next update will focus on size/weight and that is more important to me as a 3rd gen owner.
Great point!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:05 AM   #14
NewYorkRanger
macrumors regular

Quote:
...or more likely, no one wants one because they already have a 2 or 3, and see no reason to upgrade?

Apple rushed this out too quick without substantial upgrades to define a purchase, consumers responded appropriately.

iPad 2 had a better form factor, iPad 3 had Retina, iPad 4 has new internals. One of these is not like the other when it comes to sales.
NewYorkRanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:05 AM   #15
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Possibly they only "Nearly" sold out of them.
64GB still available. Lost opportunity is a lost sale.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:06 AM   #16
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Fourth-Generation iPad Models Now 'In Stock' at Many Online Apple Stores
Now if they can just do the same with the iPad Mini, I will be a happy customer!
madsci954 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:06 AM   #17
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

I JUST got my iPad 3rd gen. No way I am going to upgrade right away. Not happy that my ipad is already obsolete.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:10 AM   #18
RawBert
macrumors 68000

My third gen is perfectly fine. I'll buy the 5th gen whenever it comes out (probably in a few months or so).
Apple, would you please add a goddamn micro SD slot? /wishful thinking
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:11 AM   #19
Jetson
macrumors 6502a

Has anyone checking it out noticed a yellowish tinge on the screen?

Several people in other threads reported that they were displeased with their new iPad 4s. They said that the iPad 3 had bright, white color saturation, whereas the new iPad 4 was yellow. They blamed it on Apple using LG screens instead of Samsung.

A few people also reported that their screens were perfectly okay.
Jetson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:14 AM   #20
cambox
macrumors regular

Can we have a poll on who posts on here own shares in Apple and see if they ever make sensible comments? To start this off I dont own shares but if the product is a good one in my opinion I will say so, but if I think its not so good I wil also say so and maybe..No will, get lynched by the Apple share owning fan boys. Could we have a sensible debate sometime in the near future?
cambox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:19 AM   #21
Ramchi
macrumors regular

iPads starring at customers!

Who is brave enough to open their wallets without knowing the fact his brother got killed in 6 months!
Ramchi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:20 AM   #22
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
That and demand for the 4th iPad is not as big as when the 3rd came out. People see it as an incremental upgrade (the new chip is quite a bit faster, so that is debatable)

Many people who wanted a retina iPad already got one, the lightning port is not much of a draw.

But it should be a good, steady seller for the holiday season.
Yeah, that's my take. The 3rdG had some visible impact with the new display, many folks (myself included) bought as soon as they were released.

I see the 4thG buyers as a slow migration of 2nd gen owners (realizing it's not an iPad2 + retina, but a major update CPU/GPU/FFC/WIFI) and first time "full sized" tablet buyers.

Plus a few of us 3rdG owners who were OK with the "rental price" on our 3rd Gens (I got $460 for mine )

Most of the holiday tablet crowd I suspect will tend towards the smaller devices.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:22 AM   #23
Radio
Banned

Quote:
Nope. They said this for the iPad 2 to iPad 3 and a few apps use the power.
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:23 AM   #24
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I see the 4thG buyers as a slow migration of 2nd gen owners (realizing it's not an iPad2 + retina, but a major update CPU/GPU/FFC/WIFI) and first time "full sized" tablet buyers.
I fall into exactly that crowd, what is FFC btw, FaceTime HD camera?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:23 AM   #25
thedeejay
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambox View Post
Can we have a poll on who posts on here own shares in Apple and see if they ever make sensible comments? To start this off I dont own shares but if the product is a good one in my opinion I will say so, but if I think its not so good I wil also say so and maybe..No will, get lynched by the Apple share owning fan boys. Could we have a sensible debate sometime in the near future?
I agree with you. I am a share holder, but I guess this upgrade just isn't that great to attract people from their iPad 2 or 3's (waiting for someone to be a nerd and correct me). Generally I, personally think of iPads as a longer term investment than iPhones even though they're cheaper. I myself own an iPad 2 and have no plans on upgrading till my iPad 2 is like the 3Gs running iOS 6, maybe there are other owners out there that feel the same way about their iPads?
thedeejay is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion