Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just as Apple's iPad mini joins the market of smaller tablets with displays of 7-8 inches, The Verge reports that Microsoft is preparing to launch its own 7-inch tablet. Interestingly, rather than simply being a smaller version of its just-launched 10-inch Surface tablet, the forthcoming "Xbox Surface" tablet will be a gaming-focused device running a scaled down version of Windows.

Microsoft-Logo-500x118.jpg
Alleged specs for the device leaked back in June, and The Verge now says that the leak was indeed accurate at the time, although the company's plans have continued to evolve.
The Xbox Surface will likely include a custom ARM processor and high-bandwidth RAM designed specifically for gaming tasks. We're told these specifications could be altered to accommodate an unannounced Intel SoC and that the Xbox Surface is being developed independent of specific hardware architecture. Microsoft's Xbox Surface won't run a full version of Windows, rather this 7-inch tablet will run a custom Windows kernel. Messaging and other tablet functions may be supported, but the focus is on gaming.
Microsoft is said to be operating in strict secrecy on the Xbox Surface project, locking down several buildings on its campus as it apparently brings teams on to develop games and other software for the device. Microsoft is said to also be planning for production of the device to take place at the same dedicated facilities being used for the larger Surface rather than using traditional contract assembly companies like Pegatron or Foxconn.

Article Link: Microsoft Working on Gaming-Focused 'Xbox Surface' 7-Inch Tablet

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008

That was my first thought. They probably want to integrate it with the next version of xbox to compete with wii U's small screen cohort, much like sony did with their Playstation move after the wiimote came out.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Anything to do with Xbox is worth reading. Microsoft has a gold mine and imo the best console on the market.

Edit: lol ***** I forgot whenever the words "best console" and "Xbox" are in the same sentence PS3 owners go into an instant rage xD

Last edited:

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Too much fragmenting in their line. Windows RT, Windows 8, now another Windows tablet that's just a game machine? Makes no sense.

mkimid

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2011
USA
I think, it is a great idea

I think, it is a great idea ~
for kids even general ~
Only issue, how they will prepare the contents ~

rhuber

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
Too much fragmenting in their line. Windows RT, Windows 8, now another Windows tablet that's just a game machine? Makes no sense.

Not sure if that's really fragmentation. I could be wrong, but I am assuming they will all run windows 8 apps.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Could be an interesting idea for Microsoft. Tablets certainly are hurting the PSP and Nintendo DS lineups, Apple has yet to really fully embrace gaming on the iPad. Gaming is just an after effect of how big of a market the iPad has.

thekris1234

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
In many ways, they already have.

I saw an advert the other day that was advertising Xbox. Not a single console was featured in it. Instead it was:

Here's surface,
and here is also a surface,
oh and over there, a surface,
surface,
final screen xbox

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Anything to do with Xbox is worth reading. Microsoft has a gold mine and imo the best console on the market.

I was under the impression that the PS3 is the best console, but because so many people have the 360, the Xbox is the better machine to get if you want to play online with friends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.