Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Im thinking of taking the mini back and getting an iPad retina display iPad or keeping my mini and getting my iPad. I feel like the mini is compromised and confusing.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Use it for a week before making that decision :)

Just trying to help.

And by the way... After using the mini for a while... I went in Applestore and iPad 4's thick bezel feels antiquated.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Apple totally did the mini wrong. They should've just had developers make apps for the mini specific size. Safari feels like a compromise. Mini feels compromised and confusing.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Awe. Sorry to hear that man! I've gotten used to it in the few days I've had it.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Apple totally did the mini wrong. They should've just had developers make apps for the mini specific size. Safari feels like a compromise. Mini feels compromised and confusing.

I wonder if safari can be fixed to work better on a mini?

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I love the Ipad 4. Sorry to hear about your mini, take it back before return date ends.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I think i know what it is. Its that sometimes I want a bigger screen and sometimes I want something more portable. So ive decided to keep my mini and just go get a 16gig retina iPad.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I think i know what it is. Its that sometimes I want a bigger screen and sometimes I want something more portable. So ive decided to keep my mini and just go get a 16gig retina iPad.

I feel the same way, so am waiting a year. Of course, by then, the ipad 5 will probably be much lighter, and the mini will be retina, so the toss up will be the same.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I feel the same way, so am waiting a year. Of course, by then, the ipad 5 will probably be much lighter, and the mini will be retina, so the toss up will be the same.

Yep! I will just own both and use which ever one suits me at the time. I take all that back. Im sticking with my mini. I just hate being the first adopter...even when Im right.

Last edited:

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I took my mini back yesterday and got a iPad 4. I agree it'll be very difficult to choose between a mini with retina or a slimmed down iPad 5. I'm a little Leary right now if I made the right choice. But my main reason was I really wasn't using the mini for a portable device, whatever I was doing on the mini I'd just do on my iPhone 5.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Im thinking of taking the mini back and getting an iPad retina display iPad or keeping my mini and getting my iPad. I feel like the mini is compromised and confusing.

Thanks for telling us. How are you confused? It's a smaller version of your regular iPad.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
I have to think that Apple will fix the Safari issue - either allowing users to change the default font size, or automatically defaulting to a more readable (larger) font for the Mini.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I have to think that Apple will fix the Safari issue - either allowing users to change the default font size, or automatically defaulting to a more readable (larger) font for the Mini.

Retina display is really the only way to get there I think.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
whatever I was doing on the mini I'd just do on my iPhone 5.

This is the reason I can't justify a mini, I have an iphone as the super portable media device and ipad retina as the bigger lounge portable device, soooo the mini serves what reasonable purpose?

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
This is the reason I can't justify a mini, I have an iphone as the super portable media device and ipad retina as the bigger lounge portable device, soooo the mini serves what reasonable purpose?

This is pretty much my thoughts exactly. Between my iPhone iPad and mbp I see no need for another size device . Actually I take my iPad literally everywhere I go and have never once thought it was "too big". I mean it wasn't long ago people were trucking along big bulky heavy lap taps everywhere they went.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

So its you that's confused... and not the iPad Mini thats confusing.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
soooo the mini serves what reasonable purpose?

I have all three. The Mini serves as:

-Great book reader!
-Good back-up Camera when you're out of power on your iphone
-In-Bed device that doesn't get your arms tired
-Coaster

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
I was right there with you. Its a much smaller form factor it feels wrong after using a full sized iPad for years. I think my issue was based on what I was getting money wise versus what I had. My neighbor actually purchased mine for me using her Target employee discount and red card bonus. 15% off was not a bad deal. I asked her to take it back because I just couldn't see why I should keep if if its no different processor/resolution/memory/ well just about everything minus camera and screen size.

I have since decided to keep it and must say that if you can get passed the money you are spending for something that is based on 1 1/2 year old tech, you get used to it and really is a nice device. What purpose does it server.... I guess if you travel a bit, its nice to have a smaller lighter iPad. It's just another gadget to own and if thing your phone is to small for some things and iPad is to large to carry around.. this is just right.

Ok, to be honest, it doesn't serve any purpose over an original iPad or iPhone. Its in the middle and justifying spending money when you have the other two is a bit hard to make. I am growing to love my mini but still have my iPad2.. I would like to sell it but have a feeling my kids would have something to say about that.

Last edited:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I totally hear ya there. I just decided to keep them both. I feel like i'll miss one potentially.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.