Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
But as an old school mac guy, for me design is a plus, but what really matters is the magical experience when using the operating system. I like the way the mac just works, intuitively, no instructions needed. I like to be able to be productive without worrying about the computer.

I think design is just as important as the user experience. There's no reason a piece of technology can't be a piece of modern art as well as being functional.

There is an old food saying "you eat with your eyes". And it's true good looking food makes you want to eat it. And the same with technology I believe. A good looking tech gadget makes the person want to use it. So to me form is just as important as function.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Guys if u read the Steve jobs book ud know that Steve took credit for much of Ives designs.

I'm surprised Ives kept so quiet

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I was fine with Apple until the sharp edges on the iPad. WTF?!? You can't hold the thing for any length of time without your palms going numb. It is definitely a case of design before function . Ok, this happened when Jobs was alive but I find it hard to believe that Ives wasn't involved. I'll reserve my judgment on this until a full product cycle is done.

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
mobile gpu over a desktop gpu? - I just can't wrap my head around that... It'll never beat the benchmarks of a real desktop computer.

does the iMac run on batteries?

You're wrong. the 675MX and 680MX are both desktop parts, just clocked lower. Can't please some people, in the future I'd suggest researching Apples GPU choices, then you will see Apple isn't as bad as people suggest for gaming.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
THIS is the real reason Apple won't be the same company, post Steve Jobs.

While I agree with your points - and have commented for a couple of years on Tim's product innovation / visionary limitations as a CEO - the real reason Apple will not be the same company post Steve Jobs is that it is post Steve Jobs.

Steve was a once in a century or millennium visionary / leader - he really can not be replicated by anyone.

As a practical matter someone had to be put in the position. The Browett out / Forstall out / Ives expanded role is probably as good a set of moves as could be made.

Now Tim and team need to end the drama and get on with innovating.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
It feels like Apple is in a waiting for what's next mode, relying on previous successes. I feel this change will put Apple back into creating its own future with new products. I know the mini is a new product but overall there's a creative drive that's still missing. It's back.

Really?

They released a new phone for which they had to design a new fabrication process and their first in-house chip.

They released 3 new iPads this year.

Stagnation you say?

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
You're wrong. the 675MX and 680MX are both desktop parts, just clocked lower. Can't please some people, in the future I'd suggest researching Apples GPU choices, then you will see Apple isn't as bad as people suggest for gaming.

I was not aware of the two higher end GPU's, fair enough. (one is BTO). The 3 other models remain mobile GPUs.

Still can't upgrade the card though. Gpu is first to go obsolete. For the price, it still doesn't make sense.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
Really?

They released a new phone for which they had to design a new fabrication process and their first in-house chip.

They released 3 new iPads this year.

Stagnation you say?

Really... Like what's the new next big thing like the iPad, iPhone, iPod, air... Instead of sitting back on what sells apple used to drive technology. I see this change will foster that for apple again.

So yes really!

It's starting to feel like Apple is a football team with a big lead and playing prevent defense in the third quarter cause its safe and profitable. I want to see them branch out again for more magical products that leaves the competition in the dust.

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
I think design is just as important as the user experience. There's no reason a piece of technology can't be a piece of modern art as well as being functional.

Of course I appreciate the design, both on the outside and on the inside :)

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Really... Like what's the new next big thing like the iPad, iPhone, iPod, air... Instead of sitting back on what sells apple used to drive technology. I see this change will foster that for apple again.

So yes really!

It's starting to feel like Apple is a football team with a big lead and playing prevent defense in the third quarter cause its safe and profitable. I want to see them branch out again for more magical products that leaves the competition in the dust.

More time passed between the launch of the iPhone and iPad, than from the iPad to now.

You've lost perspective.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
More time passed between the launch of the iPhone and iPad, than from the iPad to now.

You've lost perspective.

No, they have no new products to drive the market right now. You've lost touch drinking too much kool aid.

We can take this offline if u would like.

With cook at the helm alone I don't foresee much in the way of innovative new products. With this change I see newer market drivers in the works. What's so hard to see here?

UmbraDiaboli

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
I would rather have Scott back in the game - he had the right mentality of leading instead of reacting to the market. He would also bring some balance to the design of the products - too much power for Jony now, that's what I fear.

Maddoxx

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
New York City
I wish Jony all the best. But, beyond talent he needs to be as lucky as Steve too.

Go Jony!!

Jobs was a visionary and needed some luck; the consumer market for computers didn't exist when Steve founded Apple.

Jony, on the other hand, already has an established market share with hundreds of millions of consumers. With a well establish market, an unbelievable brand, and a cash balance approaching 200 billion next year. Jony doesn't need luck; he just needs to keep doing what he already has been doing for quite some time at Apple. :D

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-cash-balance-2013-2012-6

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
My memory is poor, but haven't all of Ive's designs either been:

1) Rounded translucent gumdrop colored shapes.

2) Rounded rectangular.

Anything else? Thanks!

This isn't very rounded...

apple-newton6111.jpg

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Ugh..

Frankly, I HATE the iOSfication of MacOS X... It sucks. If this just leads to more of that crap.. Along with more anorexic disposable "appliances" that are intended to be tossed every two years....

I see nothing good ahead.. I see Apple becoming the next Sony.. Alienating the "loyalists", the "Evangelists", then only being one or two flops away from irrelevance..

I want to be wrong.. I want to believe..

But, the best I feel about any of this lately is, "Meh".

What exactly do you hate about it? (Not that you're wrong to do so; I'm just curious)

For me, the integration is wonderful and want more of it; especially where OS X features moving to iOS is concerned.

I believe Eleven is going to be, as some have already mentioned, one OS to rule them all (hardware-wise)..

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
great move, I'm looking for more innovation. a product being thinner is not the innovation i'm looking for.

So what is "innovation" to you, then? I hear that term thrown out a lot and I don't know what more there is to be "innovated". I'm genuinely curious.

Aside from holographic interfaces and The Matrix, the computing industry is starting to mature. Maybe I don't really understand what the word really means...

What do people want from Apple, other than refining the products that it already has? Steve wanted computers that anyone can use. Bam, the iPad & iPhone are here. Now what? Really, what?:confused:

Apple is in the car business. They already put out a truck, a car, a motorcycle, an RV....:D

----------

This is highly encouraging.

Jony Ive will do what Steve did, better, faster, with more style and less drama.

I'd also venture a guess he's not filled with the same burning desire to destroy people and companies. He's too skilled, too experienced, and too well balanced.

Apple is now in a very good position.

I agree this is very encouraging, but Ive without Jobs is still untested (as far as we know).

However, I cannot wait to find out how/if he succeeds or crashes and burns.

kdarling

macrumors P6
This isn't very rounded...
I think the MessagePad 110 was one of his first designs for Apple.

Thanks! Apparently Ive managed to change both himself and his designs over time. Wonder what he and his ideas will morph into for the future?

jon_ive.png

Doesn't he have kids now? That always changes a man's perspective towards usability and ruggedness!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.