Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
I have been working on MSFT since OS/2 and while I liked their progression all along. Was really impressed with Windows 7 and it would be hard to argue that Mac OS is better.

Then.. I stumbled into Windows 8.. and I have to wonder.. What the heck is MS thinking. Its a new direction for their tablets, I agree. But to put it on a desktop? Even Apple has left the desktop intact minus the launchpad which is still an option.

MSFT is over doing it, IMHO.

I think the jury is going to out on this for a while. In my opinion Metro on the desktop is a poor working environment and touch screen monitors are tiring to use too. Others may disagree and I think it will be interesting to see what this interface becomes over the years for desktop/laptop usage. There is definitely a lot to be said for tailoring an interface for its platform and I think using the same interface everywhere is not the ultimate way forward.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Another market apple did a half assed job in (sure, ipad has some great games, but who wouldn't agree they could do so much more?)

Really, as of late, Microsoft is really catching my eye, hope Apple realises this threat and puts out better products too

Maybe they should call it XSurface, it won't be a box.
I would guess:
Surface Pro
Surface RT
Surface X

rhuber

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
I have been working on MSFT since OS/2 and while I liked their progression all along. Was really impressed with Windows 7 and it would be hard to argue that Mac OS is better.

Then.. I stumbled into Windows 8.. and I have to wonder.. What the heck is MS thinking. Its a new direction for their tablets, I agree. But to put it on a desktop? Even Apple has left the desktop intact minus the launchpad which is still an option.

MSFT is over doing it, IMHO.

I think it all comes down to usability and unification. It's a ballsy move to be sure and big changes have to be made to make it happen, but so far I am impressed.

I will say this; For the first time in about 5 or 6 years (since moving to Mac), I want a new windows PC. I've been playing with windows 8 preview on an older machine, and it's good stuff. I develop android apps for a very specific niche market (I come here because I love my Macs). Now I am overwhelmingly drawn to experiment with Windows Apps. The whole system, (like it or hate it - predicting a failure or success), is seriously ambitious and very impressive. Even as a mac user, it's hard not to get excited about (at least from a geek perspective).

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
I think it all comes down to usability and unification. It's a ballsy move to be sure and big changes have to be made to make it happen, but so far I am impressed.

I will say this; For the first time in about 5 or 6 six years (since moving to Mac), I want a new windows PC. I've been playing with windows 8 preview on an older machine, and it's good stuff. I develop android apps for a very specific niche market (I come here because I love my Macs). Now I am overwhelmingly drawn to experiment with Windows Apps. The whole system, (like it or hate it - predicting a failure or success), is seriously ambitious and very impressive. Even as a mac user, it's hard not to get excited about (at least from a geek perspective).

Do it, and do it fast. Its a gold rush waiting to happen. Risk/reward-wise, its a no brainer.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon

I will say this; For the first time in about 5 or 6 six years (since moving to Mac), I want a new windows PC. I've been playing with windows 8 preview on an older machine, and it's good stuff. I develop android apps for a very specific niche market (I come here because I love my Macs). Now I am overwhelmingly drawn to experiment with Windows Apps. The whole system, (like it or hate it - predicting a failure or success), is seriously ambitious and very impressive. Even as a mac user, it's hard not to get excited about (at least from a geek perspective).

They definitely have bet the company on this and that is what they needed to do to interrupt their slow decline. I agree with you i am looking forward to installing Win 8 on a Mac via Virtualization and working with it. I might even buy one of the touchable convertibles or the like.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Windows 7 is great. Windows 8 is great. I think you are constructing a problem, really. What is your main beef? It cant be starting applications, that is easy. It cant be the desktop, its improved. So what is it? Having something extra that you currently fail to see how you can use? Well, then, dont use it? o_O

Buy a track pad, or a touch-enabled mouse. Problem solved.

----------

Look at what MSFT is doing with the-product-formerly-known-as-surface. As far as UI goes, i'd say its richer than any console controller that i have ever used. That you restrict yourself to "tapping on things" does not mean that the material as such is similarly restricted. That is my answer.

Richer than console controller? I give up.

Whats my beef with Windows 8? I dont want the desktop to look like a floor in a bathroom. Personal beef maybe? Sure. But it pretty much sums up a lot of other folks feelings as well.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
*facepalm*

Microsoft proved they don't know how to make game consoles with the Xbox 360 and it's over cluttered experience. And now they want to fail again on tablets.

Besides, this tablet has no reason to exist. They can have their tablet gaming experience on the Surface, just like Apple have with the iPad. An actual 7" tablet designed specifically for gaming is a bad idea. People either want proper consoles like the PS3/Xbox 360, or they want mini game consoles like the Nintendo DS, PSP. Having an in-between console serves no purpose.

rhuber

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
Do it, and do it fast. Its a gold rush waiting to happen. Risk/reward-wise, its a no brainer.

I'm not really in the big gold rush market. My market is very specific, which is why I develop for android - with the open distribution, I can build and email an app directly to a group of intended clients. But with Windows 8 and all things relating, it is, or soon will be (?), a massive platform and a no-brainer to explore.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Xbox is the best system this generation. All the power to them. Plus they need to combat the already popular Wii-U

Last edited by a moderator:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Blimey you can tell who the brainwashed ones are in this thread cant you! We dont even know what it is yet and we've already got the armchair experts calling it a failure. Grow up.

If its being worked on by the Xbox group it'll likely be very impressive given how much of a success the Xbox is!

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I'm not really in the big gold rush market. My market is very specific, which is why I develop for android - with the open distribution, I can build and email an app directly to a group of intended clients. But with Windows 8 and all things relating, it is, or soon will be (?), a massive platform and a no-brainer to explore.

The windows environment is getting more like apples with one platform to develope your apps with.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
This sounds right. After last year's E3, it was clear that Microsoft no longer sees Xbox as a video game console, but as software. Many people were surprised not to see an Xbox "720", and there are still many people expecting it this year, but they will be very disappointed when it either doesn't show up at all, or shows up as a marginal upgrade tailored more to a HTPC audience. I think for Microsoft it is the right strategy. Xbox has always relied primarily on its online Xbox Live multiplayer service, which does not need to be tied to a console.

What I would like to see is Apple releasing a bluetooth controller for Apple TV. That would be VERY interesting...

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Could be an interesting idea for Microsoft. Tablets certainly are hurting the PSP and Nintendo DS lineups, Apple has yet to really fully embrace gaming on the iPad. Gaming is just an after effect of how big of a market the iPad has.

Dedicated systems are in a bit of trouble with phones and tablets, so why not join them and merge the two together? This I believe is what Microsoft is going for. The way I envision it, is a tablet that you can connect regular ole' 360 controllers to for gaming on the go. When you're at home you can slide it on in a dock of somesort and continue where you left off on your TV and just to sweeten the deal, put some extra hardware in the dock to beef up the graphics.

I could see it working.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
This sounds right. After last year's E3, it was clear that Microsoft no longer sees Xbox as a video game console, but as software. Many people were surprised not to see an Xbox "720", and there are still many people expecting it this year, but they will be very disappointed when it either doesn't show up at all, or shows up as a marginal upgrade tailored more to a HTPC audience. I think for Microsoft it is the right strategy. Xbox has always relied primarily on its online Xbox Live multiplayer service, which does not need to be tied to a console.

What I would like to see is Apple releasing a bluetooth controller for Apple TV. That would be VERY interesting...

I wasn't surprised to not see it.

Two big reasons. Halo 4 and GTA 5 were big name titles to be released on the Xbox 360. They wanted to push them instead of focus on a new console. Those are the last two big names. This year we will see a new unveiling. Nothing is announced for 360 after those two games. And really GTA should of been out this year, but got pushed back.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Microsoft is already doing something like this with its Surface features and controlling the 360 with any tablet.

I think they want to push their own tablet in the end though that will support gaming features much like the Wii-U.

Can play a game on the tablet instead of TV.

Instead of split screen one plays on the tablet and one on the TV

Can make it a remote

etc

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Xbox is the best system this generation. All the power to them. Plus they need to combat the already popular Wii-U

Sure... If your a fan of; ugly, poorly designed user interfaces, being asked to sign in when you switch the console on, constant updates forcing you to restart, terrible apps, and a fault xbox live system which causes some games not work correctly.

The Xbox 360 is the perfect example of what's wrong with the gaming industry. It doesn't focus on being a gaming console, it just acts as a crippled PC with terrible apps. Gaming is merely an afterthought.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Too many damn surfaces already.

----------

Sure, if your a fan of poorly designed, ugly user interfaces, being asked to sign in as soon as you switch the console on, constant updates forcing you to restart, terrible apps and a faulty xbox live system which causes some games not to work correctly.

The Xbox 360 is the perfect example of what's wrong with the gaming industry. It doesn't focus on being a gaming console, it just acts as a crippled PC with terrible apps. Gaming is merely an afterthought.

So then who's betta?

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Sure, if your a fan of poorly designed, ugly user interfaces, being asked to sign in as soon as you switch the console on, constant updates forcing you to restart, terrible apps and a faulty xbox live system which causes some games not to work correctly.

What are you comparing it to?

Its the best system this generation.

Interface is great and not ugly at all IMO. Wii and PS3 never changed their interfaces at all.

Being asked to sign in? Set it to auto sign in and don't worry about that again

Updates that improve the system? Much like the PS3 and Wii do as well

Terrible Apps? atleast it has apps. Baseball App, UFC App for ordering PPVs, Youtube, Netflix, HULU, etc.

Yeah those sound like terrible apps.....

Then exclusives like Gears of War, Halo, Forza, Fable, etc.

Its hardly a crappy system. And I own them all. PS3 is used now only for media services and Blu Ray, Wii is modded to play Super Nintendo games.

M

Mr.damien

Anything to do with Xbox is worth reading. Microsoft has a gold mine and imo the best console on the market.

Edit: lol ***** I forgot whenever the words "best console" and "Xbox" are in the same sentence PS3 owners go into an instant rage xD

Yeah we agree. Windows is an OS console, so it's now time for Microsoft to leave the enterprise market and return to their toys.

----------

MS is starting to make a push. And putting out some quality products.

I will not be surprised to see more of them in the near future.

Yeah, so good products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQhhtvuZwVg

Ho wait ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.