Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njmitchel0

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2008
From my research I keep seeing that it is best to edit video from an external drive. I am trying to figure out how to set this configuration up and have come across scratch dsk setups and am not quite sure if this is what I am trying to do. Basically I would like to edit directly from the external hdd so i dont bog the compute down with use disk space.

Could someone be so kind as to point me in the direction of what I need to do exactly for setup as well as explain scratch disk to me,

Thanks in advance.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I assume you are talking abotu editing from a laptop.
YOU HAVE TO POST YOUR SPECS.

If you have firewire 800, then that's a good bet.
IF you have thunderbolt, that's a better bet.

The other option I advocate for it to remove your optical drive and install a 500-750GB hard drive for a scratch disc.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
The second post needs answering.
It is very simple. Plug your external HD into your computer. Wait till you see it. Then open FCP-X select the EHD and presto fire away.
Any form of video working should be done on an external.
Dont forget to answer the 2nd post.

njmitchel0

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2008
15'' rMBP 2.6/16/256

I asked this question as well because when reading reviews, it seems that some external hdd's are more suited to backup as opposed to working from. Does this make a difference??

Going today to pick up a hdd, any recommendations??

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Get as high capacity 7,200 RPM drive as you can, interface is really up to you depending on your needs. Or as others have said replace your ODD with another HDD.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I think....

that disk will not work because it is a USB 3.0 disk, unless you have a USB 3.0 card or a newer Mac. Preference in the video world goes to FireWire 800, speaking abou editing/storage, tough:( :):apple:

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I got a portable hitachi 1tb USB3 drive for like 70 something dollars and its been working fine with my 15" rMBP. I think its just 5400rpm but its still supposed to be up in the 80-90mb/sec range so not too far from 7200rpm usb 3 drives (110ish mb/sec).

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
Sorry to hijack this thread but how would you guys Set up the following for use with fcpx. Where is best to store my HD video files and where to render to etc?

2012 13" mbp
Samsung 256GB SSD
Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid HD

All discs are internal.

njmitchel0

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2008
another question for me as well, I went ahead and bought an external enclosure for a hard drive. As for as setting it up for I know I first need to format the drive. Now how do I set final cut up so that I am working from the external drive?? thanks for any help

MrPlayer66

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
another question for me as well, I went ahead and bought an external enclosure for a hard drive. As for as setting it up for I know I first need to format the drive. Now how do I set final cut up so that I am working from the external drive?? thanks for any help

Check this out so you can understand how FCPX handles events and projects.
http://youtu.be/gVlSYmOs_9A

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.