Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:42 AM   #126
tinmancactus
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
if only we can get Jony to do the keynotes.
That would be just incredible.
tinmancactus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:48 AM   #127
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
But as an old school mac guy, for me design is a plus, but what really matters is the magical experience when using the operating system. I like the way the mac just works, intuitively, no instructions needed. I like to be able to be productive without worrying about the computer.
I think design is just as important as the user experience. There's no reason a piece of technology can't be a piece of modern art as well as being functional.

There is an old food saying "you eat with your eyes". And it's true good looking food makes you want to eat it. And the same with technology I believe. A good looking tech gadget makes the person want to use it. So to me form is just as important as function.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:49 AM   #128
camman564
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by egeek84 View Post
He must have been watching a presentation from Scott Forstall at that point.

Last edited by camman564; Nov 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
camman564 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:01 AM   #129
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by knemonic View Post
This just feels right.

I hope Ives is in good health to give at least another decade as Jobs did.
From the look of things, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm going to try remain optimistic!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:16 AM   #130
Radio
In Time-Out

Guys if u read the Steve jobs book ud know that Steve took credit for much of Ives designs.

I'm surprised Ives kept so quiet
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:23 AM   #131
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
I was fine with Apple until the sharp edges on the iPad. WTF?!? You can't hold the thing for any length of time without your palms going numb. It is definitely a case of design before function . Ok, this happened when Jobs was alive but I find it hard to believe that Ives wasn't involved. I'll reserve my judgment on this until a full product cycle is done.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:23 AM   #132
joshhedge
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
mobile gpu over a desktop gpu? - I just can't wrap my head around that... It'll never beat the benchmarks of a real desktop computer.

does the iMac run on batteries?
You're wrong. the 675MX and 680MX are both desktop parts, just clocked lower. Can't please some people, in the future I'd suggest researching Apples GPU choices, then you will see Apple isn't as bad as people suggest for gaming.
joshhedge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:35 AM   #133
Apple Corps
macrumors 68020

[QUOTE=kingtj;16233235]THIS is the real reason Apple won't be the same company, post Steve Jobs.

While I agree with your points - and have commented for a couple of years on Tim's product innovation / visionary limitations as a CEO - the real reason Apple will not be the same company post Steve Jobs is that it is post Steve Jobs.

Steve was a once in a century or millennium visionary / leader - he really can not be replicated by anyone.

As a practical matter someone had to be put in the position. The Browett out / Forstall out / Ives expanded role is probably as good a set of moves as could be made.

Now Tim and team need to end the drama and get on with innovating.
Apple Corps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:36 AM   #134
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub175 View Post
It feels like Apple is in a waiting for what's next mode, relying on previous successes. I feel this change will put Apple back into creating its own future with new products. I know the mini is a new product but overall there's a creative drive that's still missing. It's back.
Really?

They released a new phone for which they had to design a new fabrication process and their first in-house chip.

They released 3 new iPads this year.

Stagnation you say?
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:53 AM   #135
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhedge View Post
You're wrong. the 675MX and 680MX are both desktop parts, just clocked lower. Can't please some people, in the future I'd suggest researching Apples GPU choices, then you will see Apple isn't as bad as people suggest for gaming.
I was not aware of the two higher end GPU's, fair enough. (one is BTO). The 3 other models remain mobile GPUs.

Still can't upgrade the card though. Gpu is first to go obsolete. For the price, it still doesn't make sense.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:57 AM   #136
Scrub175
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Really?

They released a new phone for which they had to design a new fabrication process and their first in-house chip.

They released 3 new iPads this year.

Stagnation you say?
Really... Like what's the new next big thing like the iPad, iPhone, iPod, air... Instead of sitting back on what sells apple used to drive technology. I see this change will foster that for apple again.

So yes really!

It's starting to feel like Apple is a football team with a big lead and playing prevent defense in the third quarter cause its safe and profitable. I want to see them branch out again for more magical products that leaves the competition in the dust.
Scrub175 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:26 AM   #137
RSL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I think design is just as important as the user experience. There's no reason a piece of technology can't be a piece of modern art as well as being functional.
Of course I appreciate the design, both on the outside and on the inside
RSL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:35 AM   #138
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
Bishop to King
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:00 PM   #139
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub175 View Post
Really... Like what's the new next big thing like the iPad, iPhone, iPod, air... Instead of sitting back on what sells apple used to drive technology. I see this change will foster that for apple again.

So yes really!

It's starting to feel like Apple is a football team with a big lead and playing prevent defense in the third quarter cause its safe and profitable. I want to see them branch out again for more magical products that leaves the competition in the dust.
More time passed between the launch of the iPhone and iPad, than from the iPad to now.

You've lost perspective.
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:05 PM   #140
Scrub175
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
More time passed between the launch of the iPhone and iPad, than from the iPad to now.

You've lost perspective.
No, they have no new products to drive the market right now. You've lost touch drinking too much kool aid.

We can take this offline if u would like.

With cook at the helm alone I don't foresee much in the way of innovative new products. With this change I see newer market drivers in the works. What's so hard to see here?
Scrub175 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:15 PM   #141
UmbraDiaboli
macrumors member

I would rather have Scott back in the game - he had the right mentality of leading instead of reacting to the market. He would also bring some balance to the design of the products - too much power for Jony now, that's what I fear.
UmbraDiaboli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:22 PM   #142
kdarling
macrumors G4

My memory is poor, but haven't all of Ive's designs either been:

1) Rounded translucent gumdrop colored shapes.

2) Rounded rectangular.

Anything else? Thanks!
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:36 PM   #143
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post

2) Rounded rectangular.

Anything else? Thanks!
Somebody call Samsung Legal! They need to hire this guy ASAP.
SockRolid is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:45 PM   #144
Maddoxx
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will do good View Post
I wish Jony all the best. But, beyond talent he needs to be as lucky as Steve too.

Go Jony!!
Jobs was a visionary and needed some luck; the consumer market for computers didn't exist when Steve founded Apple.

Jony, on the other hand, already has an established market share with hundreds of millions of consumers. With a well establish market, an unbelievable brand, and a cash balance approaching 200 billion next year. Jony doesn't need luck; he just needs to keep doing what he already has been doing for quite some time at Apple.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...ce-2013-2012-6
Maddoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:48 PM   #145
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post

2) Rounded rectangular.

Anything else? Thanks!
This isn't very rounded...

OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:55 PM   #146
kd5jos
macrumors regular

I can't help but ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
This isn't very rounded...

Did Ive do that?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:07 PM   #147
melendezest
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdsail View Post
Ugh..

Frankly, I HATE the iOSfication of MacOS X... It sucks. If this just leads to more of that crap.. Along with more anorexic disposable "appliances" that are intended to be tossed every two years....

I see nothing good ahead.. I see Apple becoming the next Sony.. Alienating the "loyalists", the "Evangelists", then only being one or two flops away from irrelevance..

I want to be wrong.. I want to believe..

But, the best I feel about any of this lately is, "Meh".
What exactly do you hate about it? (Not that you're wrong to do so; I'm just curious)

For me, the integration is wonderful and want more of it; especially where OS X features moving to iOS is concerned.

I believe Eleven is going to be, as some have already mentioned, one OS to rule them all (hardware-wise)..
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:13 PM   #148
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5jos View Post
Did Ive do that?
I think the MessagePad 110 was one of his first designs for Apple.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:23 PM   #149
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Ive looks pissed!

I kind of like the mic. The others not so much.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:33 PM   #150
melendezest
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfs112 View Post
great move, I'm looking for more innovation. a product being thinner is not the innovation i'm looking for.
So what is "innovation" to you, then? I hear that term thrown out a lot and I don't know what more there is to be "innovated". I'm genuinely curious.

Aside from holographic interfaces and The Matrix, the computing industry is starting to mature. Maybe I don't really understand what the word really means...

What do people want from Apple, other than refining the products that it already has? Steve wanted computers that anyone can use. Bam, the iPad & iPhone are here. Now what? Really, what?

Apple is in the car business. They already put out a truck, a car, a motorcycle, an RV....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
This is highly encouraging.

Jony Ive will do what Steve did, better, faster, with more style and less drama.

I'd also venture a guess he's not filled with the same burning desire to destroy people and companies. He's too skilled, too experienced, and too well balanced.

Apple is now in a very good position.
I agree this is very encouraging, but Ive without Jobs is still untested (as far as we know).

However, I cannot wait to find out how/if he succeeds or crashes and burns.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion